Core Purpose and Values
To ensure that students achieve their academic and personal potential, staff members at Thomas W. Pyle Middle School model a passion for learning and create a nurturing environment where the unique talents and backgrounds of individuals are valued and respected. We are committed to:
- Demonstrating a Passion for Learning
- Encouraging Academic and Personal Growth
- Sustaining a Nurturing and Respectful Environment
- Honoring Diversity
- One of the largest middle schools in Montgomery County
- Our students continue to be among the highest achievers in the state on all standardized tests
- Sixth graders scored well over the national percentile rank for the Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills and have met local standards
- Mobility rate: 5.7
- 11% of population are International Students
- Block scheduling with 4 blocks a day on an odd/even day rotation. Class time is 90 minutes per block (with the exception of a daily 50 minute first block).
- 74% of our students are on the honor roll
- Over 60% of our students are enrolled in enriched or accelerated subjects
- 94% of our parents are involved in the PTSA
- Our students produce a school news program on our own TV station
- Average SAT score at Walt Whitman (our cluster high school) is 1248 with 87% of students taking the SAT
- Attendance rate is 96%; rating excellent in the state standard
Thomas W. Pyle Middle School at a Glance (PDF)
Enrollment, staffing, facility and budget information from the Department of Reporting and Regulatory Accountability.
Thomas W. Pyle Middle School Environment Survey
This web site contains the most recent results from Surveys of School Environment completed by parents.
Master Plan/CIP Data for Thomas W. Pyle Middle School
Boundary map and capital plan details from the Department of Planning and Capital Programming.
Find out who Thomas W. Pyle was and learn more about the history of the school.
Did you know Pyle has a school song? View the music for it (PDF). Note that the lyrics reference Pyle's original school colors - orange and white - not the stylish black and red we have today.
Safety & Security
MCPS Emergency Information - Emergency preparedness, school closings, etc.
School's Out - Emergency Closings-Email Notification- Sign up for email notification of school closings by subscribing to QuickNotes.
Parent Reunification form (PDF) - the form used by the school to reunite students with a parent or an appropriate caregiver during an emergency.
Pyle Safety and Security Presentation - Spring 2018