Student Service Learning (SSL) Information
Pyle’s SSL Coordinator: Laura Smethurst in room 115
Laura_Smethurst@mcpsmd.org When corresponding via email, please type SSL in the subject line.
SSL remains a state graduation requirement for the 2022-23 SY! Please see below for graduation requirements.
Students must bring paper copies of their SSL Activity Verification 560-51 (either typed or handwritten) to Ms. Smethurst in Room 115.
All students must earn a minimum of 75 hours of community service by the end of their high school senior year to graduate from a Maryland high school.
Students earn 30 hours throughout middle school in supervised classroom activities. These hours will be added automatically at the end of each school year. (In high school, students will be able to earn 15 hours in NSL Government class.)
- Grade 6 Science class
- Grade 7 English class
- Grade 8 history class
Students earning all 75 hours before graduating middle school will be given the Superintendent’s SSL Award. This award may be earned only once in middle school.
Students earn the remaining hours on their own by choosing services that interest them.
- MCPS has pre-approved many organizations for SSL. The Montgomery County Volunteer Center website lists volunteer opportunities for people of all ages, not just MCPS students. Not all the organizations on the website are MCPS pre-approved! A graduation cap indicates organizations or opportunities that meet MCPS SSL guidelines.
- All PTAs and public schools are preapproved for SSL hours and still must follow the SSL guidelines for specific activities.
If a student wishes to earn hours from an organization NOT pre-approved by MCPS for SSL, students must submit the MCPS Form 560-50 Individual SSL Request to the MCPS Primary coordinator at least 2 weeks in advance of the service date for approval. Failure to get pre-approval will result in hours not being accepted. You can find this form on the MCPS website https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/ssl.
The deadlines set by MCPS for SSL submission are:
- Service completed during the summer due Friday, Sep 23, 2022
- Service completed during 1st semester due January 7, 2022
- Service completed during 1st semester & 2nd semester and to earn the Superintendent’s SSL Award (Middle School): March 30, 2023
- Service completed during the 1st semester & 2nd semester: Friday, June 2.
Do NOT hold on to SSL forms until the end of the year. The closer to the deadline it gets the longer it may take to get entered into the system due to the size of the Pyle Student body. Forms handed in after each deadline will NOT be accepted. Over 6,000 forms are handed in over the course of the year at T.W. Pyle, so deadlines are important.
If SSL forms are NOT turned in before each deadline the hours will NOT show up on the corresponding report card due to the required County processing time. They WILL be visible in MyMCPS after entry
- All SSL hours must be recorded and verified using form 560-51.
- Keep a copy of your forms turned in for SSL credit, but the school MUST get the original. Copies and faxes cannot be accepted.
- Please follow ALL THE DIRECTIONS on the form and be clear. If there is any missing information or handwriting cannot be read, the form will be returned to the student and that will delay entry of the data.
- All portions must either be typed or completed in Black or Blue INK. NO PENCIL!
- Write a genuine and thoughtful reflection in PARAGRAPH form. (not bulleted)
Helpful SSL Weblinks:
SSL Activity Verification Form 560-51
All forms turned in for SSL credit must be originals, copies and faxes cannot be accepted.