Parent Technical Support Email:
NEW Opportunity: Financial Aid Virtual Bootcamp with Federal Student Aid (FSA). October 19 and 21. Day and evening sessions with subject matter experts providing information on tools and resources to navigate the financial aid process, including a live demonstration on how to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Register today! | post 14 October 2021 |
NEW Opportunity: Help with FAFSA & MSFAA. Montgomery College announces FAFSA & MSFAA Days. Get help completing the FAFSA or MSFAA. Remote sessions. Registration opens October 18.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) filing period for the incoming freshmen class Fall 2022 opened October 1! The deadline to file for the state of Maryland is March 1. More on FAFSA deadlines here.
Students ineligible to file the FAFSA who live in the state of Maryland can file the Maryland State Financial Aid Application (MSFAA). The MSFAA filing deadline is March 1. More on MSFAA deadlines here. The application is available through the MD CAPS portal. The MC CAPS account is required to accept Maryland State financial aid as well as file the MSFAA. Create your MD CAPS ACCOUNT.
NEW Northwest High School Scholarship Resource on YouTube: Inside the World of Scholarships at Northwest High School (17 minutes)
The JAG Scholarship 'Apply Now' Bulletin: This bulletin will be updated as scholarship opportunities become available. The updated post date indicates the latest publication date. | post 7 October 2021 |
Published weekly, this bulletin summarizes scholarship opportunities that are currently available to Northwest High School students. The 'Apply Now' Bulletin is available to download using the link provided above. Included in this publication are the links to the scholarship application, eligibility criteria and deadlines to apply. The scholarship opportunities are listed by the scholarship application deadline to apply date.
The JAG Scholarship 'Apply Later' Forecast Bulletin: Published one-time only at the beginning of each school year. The Forecast Bulletin lists all scholarships available to students at Northwest High School based on the prior year. Included in this publication will be the criteria for applying, links to scholarship funder web sites and the general time line for availability and application. The Forecast Bulletin is available to download using the link provided above. The Forecast Bulletin lists the scholarship alphabetically by the scholarship name.
Scholarship Resource: ARMY ROTC Scholarships
Scholarship Resource: Maryland Community College Promise SCHOLARSHIP. Are you planning to attend a community college in the state of Maryland? Do you plan to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Maryland State Financial Aid Application (MSFAA) by March 1? Do you have a minimum 2.3 GPA? If you answered YES to these questions you can be considered for the Maryland Community College Promise Scholarship. Learn more about the Promise Scholarship and important next steps. Download the Promise Scholarship Application Cycle Timeline |
Scholarship Resource: C. D. Motes, Jr. Incentive Awards Program (IAP) with the University of Maryland College Park and MCPS UMD Accepted Students. If you are applying to UMD College Park and demonstrate qualities like leadership, being service oriented, committed to striving to be best and perseverance, you may want to learn more about IAP. Applicants must apply to UMD by November 1 and be accepted. The FAFSA must also be completed by January 1 and the applicant must be eligible for the Pell Grant. The IAP application is completed between February 1 and March 1. The program offers a summer bridge program, full tuition, room and board along with guaranteed housing and a study abroad component. Learn more on the IAP website. Click here to learn more about Becoming A Scholar.
Scholarship Resource: StudentScholarships.org. Newsletter includes multiple scholarship opportunities with deadlines through the end of the school year. Click on the link for a list of current scholarships and links to applications.
Scholarship Resource: Scholarships that Do Not Require Proof of US Citizenship or Legal Permanent Residency | web post 30 July 2020 |
If the JAG Scholarship 'Apply Now' Bulletin directs you to this web page for the application, download the application using the link provided below.
Scholarship Transcript Requests: Google Scholarship Transcript Request Processing Form
The list below is not a complete list. A complete list of ALL scholarship opportunities that have been made available to Northwest students can be found in the JAG Scholarship 'Apply Now' Bulletin, including criteria, ONLINE links to applications, and eligibility.
- NEW APPLICATION/OPPORTUNITY: Carson Scholars Program. An opportunity for students in grades 9-11. $1,000. High School nomination required. One student will be selected to advance in the competition. Click here to download the important Student Information Guide. Click here to download the Request for Carson Scholars Nomination form. Submit form by November 8. | post 7 October 2021 |
- APPLICATION/OPPORTUNITY: Montgomery Scholars Program. The application for the Montgomery Scholars Program Fall 2022 is now live! REMINDER: An Information Session for the prospective applicants will be held on Saturday, October 16 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. by Zoom. Pre-registration is required. This is a one-time event. Students interested to learn more about the program can visit the Montgomery Scholars website. The Montgomery Scholars application is available through Academic Works. The Application Guidelines are posted on the program website. In addition, the Steps to Apply are posted under the January 6 deadline on the right side of the Montgomery Scholars website. | Deadline to apply is January 6 | post 20 September 2021 |
- APPLICATION/OPPORTUNITY: Meyerhoff Scholars Program at UMBC. Seniors planning application to UMBC with interest in STEM fields. High school nomination required. 3.0 GPA. Click here to download the Request for Nomination form specific to Northwest HS. Submit form by November 8. | post 20 September 2021 |
- APPLICATION/OPPORTUNITY: Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10076 Youth Scholarship Program. Offered to middle and high school students. Essay. Awards vary based on competition level. Submit entry form by October 31 | post 2 September 2021 |
REMINDER: A complete list of ALL scholarship opportunities that have been made available to Northwest students, including criteria, ONLINE links to applications, and eligibility, can be found in the JAG Scholarship 'Apply Now' Bulletin.
COVID-19 update: Visit the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) website and the websites for the colleges you are applying to for financial aid updates and deadline extensions as a result of COVID-19.
Financial Aid Resource: StudentAid.gov Financial Aid Webinars for parents and students looking for assistance with the financial aid process. | post 27 May 2021 |
Financial Aid Resource: Financial Aid Channel on YouTube. Supported by Federal Student Aid (studentaid.gov).
Financial Aid Resource: FAFSA Fever Days Announced with Montgomery College. Assistance with completing the FAFSA. Learn more here.
Financial Aid Resource: Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) Financial Aid Questions Answered! FAFSA workshop/webinar on YouTube. The workshop was facilitated by Ed Prep PLUS and Outreach Specialist, Mr. Isaiah Ellis, with the MHEC Office of Student Financial Aid.Questions around finances, as well as various family circumstances including citizenship, divorce/separation, and much more are covered. Additionally, how to search for scholarships and additional (federal) grants is also discussed.
Financial Aid Resource: Benefits of filing the FAFSA early! Federal pell grant money likely will not run out but filing early gives students the best opportunity to receive other need-based aid, including state aid, grants and scholarships. There is more time to file an appeal if dissatisfied with the aid amount or there has been a change in economic circumstances. Read the full article here.
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (The FAFSA). Access the FAFSA application and obtain information on each step needed to complete the process from the studentaid.gov web site.
- The CSS Profile is an on-line financial Aid application used by colleges and scholarship programs to award non federal aid. There is a cost to complete the CSS Profile.
- The Maryland Higher Education Commission web site has information on Maryland aid (including accepting aid with the MD CAPS account), information on the Pell Grant, Guaranteed Access Grant, state scholarships, and the Maryland Community College Promise Scholarship Program.
- MC-TRIO Educational Opportunity Center. Assistance with the FAFSA provided. Services available in English and Spanish.
- MCPS College Career Information Center Scholarship Updates for Students
- Scholarships that Do Not Require Proof of US Citizenship or Legal Permanent Residency | web post 30 July 2020 |