Parent Technical Support Email:
The CEEB Code for Northwest: 210-589
(This is the High School Code for College Testing & Applications)
Northwest High School is a test site for the following SAT dates: August | October | December | March | May | June. When registering to take the SAT at Northwest High School, select the test site 21-298.
Information regarding an alternate route to the National Merit Scholarship Program. In the event MCPS is not able to offer the PSAT to grade 11 grade students , this is an alternate route for students who feel they would qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Program. This policy has been around, and is not a direct response to Covid. For more information, visit the National Merit website.
PSAT Prep FREE 'Ask Me Anything' Sessions offered by Applerouth. Sessions begin September 25.
College Testing Links & Information:
- The SAT with CollegeBoard 1.866.757.7346 by phone | The SAT with Accommodations
- The ACT 319.337.1332 by phone | ACT Test Accommodations
- English as a Second Language Test Options:
- Duolingo English Test
- The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) now with both electronic and in-person test options available.
- Download the Northwest HS Guide for English as a Second Language Test Takers
- The ACCUPLACER and College Readiness Test for students planning to attend Montgomery College.
Registration fee waivers for the ACT and SAT may be available for eligible high school students. Reduced voucher requests may be available for eligible high school students interested in taking the TOEFLiBT. Download the NWHS College Testing Registration Fee Waiver Request Form here or complete the online NWHS College Testing Registrarion Fee Waiver Request Google Form. Please note: Acceptance of a college testing fee waiver is with the stipulation that the test taker will be present to take the test on test day. [Updated August 2021]
Students using Fee Waivers for the ACT and/or SAT should register before the regular registration deadline. The Reduced Vouchers can reduce the cost of the TOEFLiBT by 50%. Registration fees are subject to change without notice. Visit test web sites for current cost information.
College Test Prep offered as part of the MCPS High School Curriculum: This one-semester course (0.5 credit) is designed to improve student achievement on both the ACT and the SAT. Students acquire knowledge related to the test formats and develop test-taking skills by taking practice tests. This course is listed in the English and mathematics department sections in the course bulletin. This course is free, but students must register for it during the normal course registration time.
NOTE: Registration for the SAT and/or the ACT exam is a separate process. College Test Prep courses do not include registration for official college tests. Although registration forms are available at high school College and Career Information Centers, students are strongly encouraged to register for the SAT on-line at collegeboard.org and for the ACT on-line at actstudent.org. Students with financial need should see their College Career Information Coordinator regarding eligibility for a standardized testing fee waiver. See College Testing Registration Fee Waiver information above.
The Montgomery College Workforce Development and Continuing Education Office offers SAT and ACT Prep courses which are conducted in various MCPS schools during the school year and at Montgomery College during the summer. The courses meet either after school, in the evening, or on Saturday mornings. These courses are designed to help students achieve scores that better reflect their knowledge and abilities by practicing with REAL college tests, teaching test formats, teaching test taking strategies, reviewing content and raising test taking confidence.
For Montgomery county residents, course cost, class schedule, locations and registration information is available on-line through the WDCE web site or a brochure can be obtained from any MCPS College and Career Center or the School Counseling Office. Registration assistance and information can also be obtained by contacting 240-567-5188. Flyers advertising courses for the fall course offerings are mailed to the homes of rising juniors and seniors at the end of July. A second mailing advertising spring course offerings will occur in early December.
Additional college test prep resources:
- Khan Academy: Free online prep for courses by subject, AP courses and the SAT.
- Test prep is available for the SAT. Hard copy SAT Prep Booklets are expected to be available in your College Career Information Center mid-September of each school year. Online SAT test prep includes:
- Question of the Day
- Sample Practice Questions (math, reading, writing, and the SAT subject tests)
- A Free Practice Test
- Test prep is available for the ACT that includes:
- ACT question of the day
- Preparing for the ACT prep booklet. Includes test information, complete practice tests with scoring keys, and a writing prompt with sample essays. The Preparing the the ACT booklet is expected to be available in your College Career Information Center mid-September of each school year.
- Practice questions
- Test Tips
- Test directions
- The ACT Academy
- Free PSAT test Prep is available on the College Board web site.
- March2Sucess.com offers prep for the ASVAB Career Exploration Test, the SAT and the ACT.