Staffed by Rochelle Davis, College Career Information Coordinator
Got Questions? Need College Career Information? Schedule an appointment!
Available on-site and virtually for students, parents & community from 7:15 am to 3 pm
The College Career Information Center is a post-secondary planning resource resource for all high school students.
This just in...
NEW! Class of 2024... NACAC/MCPS College Fair Dates Announced. Tuesday, April 18 and Wednesday, April 19. The college fair field trip date for the Northwest HS Class of 2024 is Tuesday, April 18 at 9:45 am. Click here for details on how to participate! The fair is open to the public on Tuesday, April 18 from 6:30 pm until 8 pm.
NEW! PRE COLLEGE PROGRAMS FOR SUMMER 2023 (Presentation & Fair). Grades 9-11. March 2, 2023. Rockville High School. 6:30 until 8:30 pm. Registration required by March 1. Presentations from Catholic University, Duke University, Summer Discovery, and University of Maryland. | Post 8 Feb 2023 |
REGISTRATION CONTINUES for the Friday, February 17, 2023 - 15th Annual Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU) College Fair. 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm. Universities at Shady Grove. During the fair, workshops will be provided on financing college, college life, Divine 9 fraternity, sorority panel discussions, and more. Click here for fair details and to register.
Virtual On-Site Interviews Update: SENIORS. The window to sign up for on-site interviews has closed. If you missed the window of opportunity, please visit the College Career Information Center in Room 126.
- If you completed the Naviance survey for on-site interviews, you must secure an interview time and date. To secure your slot for an interview seniors MUST send the image of the application confirmation page by email to Rochelle_Davis@mcpsmd.org. College applications must be submitted no later than February 6. Without the confirmation, the interview will not be scheduled.
Interview Resources: Students can start by viewing how to prepare for common interview questions and what questions they should ask the HBCU representatives to help maximize their chances of acceptance. –from the MCPS website familysupport/hbcu.
| HBCU College Fair Updated Post 6 Feb 2023 |
REGISTRATION OPEN for the 2023 SUMMER RISE Program. Explore careers! Receive a stipend for successful program completion. Summer Rise program dates: June 26 - July 28. NEW! Summer RISE Information Session to be held at Northwest High School on Wednesday, February 22 @ 11:30 am in the College Career Information Center, Room 126. | Updated post 6 Feb 2023 |
2023 Summer Rise Information Sessions are scheduled. Register HERE.
- Monday, February 6 | 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm | 850 Hungerford Drive, Rockville, MD 20850
- Thursday, February 23 | 7:00 pm to 7:30 pm | Zoom Meeting
For more information about the 2023 Summer Rise Program, click HERE. Click the image to download the Information Flyer.
On-page Quick Links:
| New Posts & College Career Alerts | ♦ | College Career High School Visits |
| College Application Resources: including Application Fee Waiver Info, The College Essay, Common App & Coalition and the Maryland College Application Campaign (MCAC) college specific fee waivers |
| College Career Resources including Job Corps Information, Summer Workshop resources and recordings |
| Montgomery College Information | ♦ | MCPS College Career Information Center Site |
| Career Readiness Resources, including resumes & cover letters | ♦ | Naviance | Student on the web |
| The Gap Year Information & Resources | ♦ | Learn about the HBCU |
| Military Academy Nomination Information |
| 2022 College Career Summer Workshop Resources |
College Career e-NEWS Bulletin:
The College Career e-NEWS Bulletin contains college career events, the virtual high school visit schedule, Jag JOBS updates, college application resources and information, financial aid and scholarship opportunities. e-NEWS is delivered to the email inbox of our students and parents via Naviance. Latest publication date: Week ending: 10 February 2023.
REMINDER: The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) will be administered FREE to interested tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade students on February 9, 2023 @ 7:45 am. Testing will be in the Auditorium for students who have secured permission. Visit the NEW Official ASVAB Career Exploration Program web site and enter as an applicant for more information on testing and resources.
REMINDER: Global Perspective Leadership Workshop Series. Are you a high school student looking to grow your leadership skills and make a sustainable impact? Join MEDLIFE's Global Perspective Leadership Workshop Series. Work hand in hand with communities and student volunteers to improve access to healthcare, education, and a safe home. Workshops will be held March 27, 2023, 7:00 PM EST and April 3, 2023, 7:00 PM EST. To express interest and learn more, complete this Expression of Interest Form. Questions? Contact Cayla Wolfe | Post 31 Jan 2023 |
REMINDER: Veterinary Medicine Careers Exploration: A Virtual Workshop created especially for High School Students. Saturday, March 4, 2023. 10 am until 12 noon EST. This is a chance for students, in grades 9-12, to hear first-hand accounts about how practitioners prepared for vet school, mastered vet school, and chose their post-graduation careers. The cost for the workshop is $25. However, no student will be denied access to participate because of the inability to pay. For information on financial assistance, please contact email@example.com. Register HERE. | Post 31 Jan 2023 |
REMINDER: SUMMER PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIPS JUST FOR THE LADY JAGS! Apply for either a Lindsey Vonn Foundation Enrichment Scholarship or Sport Scholarship for all Summer activities & programs. The Lindsey Vonn Foundation offers scholarships for in-need girls ages 10-18. For summer 2023 programs, apply by March 31 | For winter 2023 programs, apply by September 29. | Post 31 Jan 2023 |
Apply to High School Visitation at the University of Virginia (UVA). Explore engineering and learn about UVA at this fun, informative, student-run event sponsored by the Society of Women Engineers. Apply by February 17. Click HERE for more information and to apply. | Post 26 Jan 2023 |
REMINDER: The American Legion 2023 MD Boys State Program will be held at McDaniel College, Westminster, Maryland from June 18-24, 2023 (date and location subject to change). The program is Nationally recognized in leadership, government, and political sciences. Tuition for the program for accepted Boys is fully funded by The American Legion. The application process is online at www.mdlegion.org/boysstate and can be accessed at any time. Completed Boys State Application must be received at The American Legion, Department of Maryland Headquarters no later than May 1, 2023.
REMINDER: SUMMER INTERNSHIP: NIH summer internship program application portal has opened! https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/sip. The application portal will close March 1. Applying to the NIH Summer Internship Program (SIP):
The 2023 Summer Internship Program is for students who:
- are 17 years of age or older on June 15, 2023,
- are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, AND
- are enrolled at least half-time in an accredited college (including community college) or university as an undergraduate, graduate, or professional student at the time of application*, OR
- have graduated from high school, but have been accepted into an accredited college or university program for the fall semester.
Get To Know Your College Career Information Center on YouTube!
- Inside the Northwest High School College Career Information Center (6 minutes)
- Inside the World of Scholarships at Northwest High School (17 minutes)
Some of the resources below are from various workshops offered by MCPS high schools through College Career Information Centers. They continue to be available and useful resources.
- RESOURCE: Job search with USAjobs.gov
- RESOURCE: Maryland Department of Labor Apprenticeships & Training Programs
- RESOURCE: U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard. Search colleges. Find the right fit. Search careers. Financial Aid & FAFSA. Training programs and apprenticeships.
- RESOURCE: Relationship Building 101: Preparing for Life After High School
- RESOURCE: College Conversations: Connecting Students of Color to Top Colleges. Virtual Event. YouTube Video (English) | YouTube Video (Spanish)
- RESOURCE: Virtual Financial Aid Summer Workshop for Spanish speaking students and families. Click here for presentation recording
- RESOURCE: Search Test Optional Schools list.
- RESOURCE: Summer Programs & Internships. A Google Sheet compiled by MCPS College Career Information Coordinators.
- RESOURCE: The Montgomery County College Career web site
- ... See additional resources under Career Readiness, including resume tips and samples.
- A recording of Senator Van Hollen's 2022 Virtual Service Academy Info Event for Potential Applicants can be found online at https://youtu.be/AuNw2t8rx54.
- Information regarding Senator Van Hollen's application for a nomination to a U.S. Service Academy, including links to each Academy’s Admissions webpage.
- Questions regarding application for a nomination to an Academy from Senator Van Hollen, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 545-1500.
- RESOURCE: Job Corps... Learn what the Job Corps can do for you. The training program is free, including housing if needed, and open to young people ages 16–24 who meet low-income and other eligibility requirements. Students go at their own pace in studying and training, learn employability skills, and earn credentials to start a meaningful career. Center staff are their support network every step of the way.
- RESOURCE: Woodland Job Corps Center in Laurel MD
The resource links below are available to download as Microsoft PowerPoint documents.
- Career Readiness: Cover Letter Template (Sample) | Power Point Presentation Cover Letters
- Career Readiness: Applying for Employment
- Career Readiness: Searching and Applying for Employment
- Career Readiness: Resume Template (Sample) | Power Point Presentation The Resume
- Career Readiness: Link for Counselors Top 20 Must-Have Skills to Put on a Resume
Montgomery College has made available to students opportunities for virtual assistance for all MC related concerns and/or questions. Northwest students are encouraged to reach out to Nicholas Boyd @ email@example.com. Nicholas Boyd is the College Access and Recruitment Coordinator for Northwest High School students.
Montgomery College Raptor Reference Enrollment Guide. An easy to follow guide from application to enrollment that includes deadlines along with a list of programs and majors.
NEWS! Apply now to Montgomery College (MC) with no application fee! Waiver period to apply is currently until further notice.
- MC Biotechnology Department Information. Careers in Biotech!
- MC First Year Experience (FYE) Summer Bridge Program. Incoming freshmen - Earn a college credit this summer. Enroll now! Receive one college credit and a scholarship (based on class attendance and grade). Limited space. For more information visit the MC FYE website.
The Accuplacer @ MC: The Accuplacer and Alternative Placement Programs are used by the college to determine college readiness for college level courses. Click here for the most current Accuplacer information. Placement Test Exemption Criteria.
- Students planning to transfer to a 4-year post-secondary institution after MC are encouraged to use ARTSYS as part of their college planning. ARTSYS is the State of Maryland Articulation Information web site. ARTSYS shows which MC courses are recommended for transferring to specific Maryland colleges and universities.
- Take a Gap Year with Dynamy (Northwest HS presentation)
- Discover Europe with the Omio Gap Year. Questions? Click here.
- Discover meaningful Gap Year programs with Overseas
- The Gap Year Association
- USA Gap Year Fairs: this website is the easiest one to navigate and it provides information about scholarships and upcoming remote events.