MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
Staffed by Rochelle Davis, College Career Information Coordinator
Got Questions? Need College Career Information? Schedule an appointment!
Available remotely for students, parents & community from 7:15 am to 3 pm
Get To Know Your College Career Information Center on YouTube!
- Inside the Northwest High School College Career Information Center (6 minutes)
- Inside the World of Scholarships at Northwest High School (17 minutes)
On-page Quick Links:
| College Career Events Calendar | ♦ | College Career High School Visits |
| College Application Resources, including the Maryland College Application Campaign application fee waivers |
| College Career Virtual Resources New! Summer Programs & Internships |
| Montgomery College Information | ♦ | MCPS College Career Information Center Site |
| Career Readiness Resources, including resumes & cover letters | ♦ | Naviance | Student on the web |
| The Gap Year Information & Resources |
The College Career Information Center is a college career resource for all high school students.
NEW: College Career Summer 2021 Workshop Series! Workshops begin June 30. For Northwest HS, Clarksburg HS, and Damascus HS students, the Summer 2021 Workshop series is a collaboration. Scan the QR-code on the image below or click on the image to see the variety of workshops offered and to register. View the list often! More workshops may be added throughout the summer. All workshops will be virtual for the 2021 summer. | web post 27 May 2021 |NEW: Additional summer 2021 workshop opportunities are available and open for county-wide high school participation. Click here to view and register for those opportunities. | post 2 June 2021 |
NEW: SAT/PSAT/ACT Virtual Strategy Session on Monday, June 28 from 10:30 until 12 noon. Offered by Princeton Review. Click here for direct link to register. Click here to download informational flyer. This workshop is part of a summer series offered by Springbrook High School. | posted 10 June 2021 |
REMINDER: FREE Online Virtual PSAT and SAT Testing for MCPS students! Offered by The Princeton Review. Test dates are June 12 and July 10. Click here to download registration information. Questions? Reach out to Nacy Veach at Nacy.Veach@Review.com or call (202)-851-6320 | posted 20 May 2021 |
ATTENTION CLASS OF 2022! Virtual Junior Parent Meeting on Navigating the College Career Application Process. Event recording accessed here. Resource Guide (click image to link to our 'Are You Ready?' publication:
ANNOUNCING THE 2021 SummerRISE Program. Registration has started! Summer Rise provides students with an in-person and/or virtual opportunity to learn about a career during the summer. Program is now open for registration. Program dates are July 5-30. For more information and to become a participant, visit: www.MCPS-SummerRISE.org. | updated post 3 May 2021 |
Apply now to Montgomery College (MC) with no application fee! Waiver period to apply is currently until further notice. | post 7 October 2020 |
Some of the resources below are from summer workshops offered by MCPS high schools through College Career Information Centers. They continue to be available and useful resources.
- Summer Programs & Internships. A Google Sheet compiled by MCPS College Career Information Coordinators. | post 29 January 2021 |
- Job Corps Virtual Sessions. Learn what the Job Corps can do for you. The training program is free, including housing if needed, and open to young people ages 16–24 who meet low-income and other eligibility requirements. Students go at their own pace in studying and training, learn employability skills, and earn credentials to start a meaningful career. Center staff are their support network every step of the way. The Job Corps will be hosting virtual orientation sessions for interested students and families every day Monday – Thursday at various times. The orientations can be joined via this link. (Monday 1:00 PM, Tuesday 11:00 AM, Wednesday 7:00 PM, Thursday 1:00 PM). Interested in learning more?? https://www.joinjobcorps.com/prospect/ or connect with an admissions representative by email.
- Inside The Common App: The Beginner's Guide to The Common Application: A step-by-step guide to capitalize on every section | webinar |
- NEW: Pathway to Success Workshop Series. Montgomery College Event. Series begins June 19. 1st Stop: Getting Ready for College. The Enrollment Process. June 19 from 10 am to 1 pm. 2nd Stop: Paying for College. Learn about the different scholarship opportunities available. 3rd Stop: Resources. 2nd & 3rd stop on June 26 from 10 am to 1:30 pm. Register here and/or download the flyer with details. | post 9 June 2021 |
NEW: The Culinary Institute of America (CIA). Interactive Open House for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors. Students will get answers to their questions in real-time. Thursday, June 10 at 4 p.m. ET. Learn more about the New York campus - academic programs, application programs, application process, campus life, and scholarships. | post 2 June 2021 |
- In case you missed it! Watch on MCPS YouTube the Get Ready, Get Started Workforce Readiness Conference for high school students. Co-sponsored by MCPS, Montgomery College, and WorkSource Montgomery. Event focused on high school students who are considering and/or planning to enter a trades program or workforce upon graduation. Click the image to watch:
- REMINDER: MCPS Launches Let's Talk Careers on Wednesdays. This is a new speaker series with industry experts sharing their career paths and industry expertise. Each session will be moderated by MCPS students. Watch on MCPS TV or YouTube. Click here to download the flier.
- College Application Fee Waivers: Who Qualifies and How to Get Them from The College Essay Guy | post 11 November 2020 |
- The Northwest College Application Process: Seniors | updates will post in the fall for the 2021-2022 school year |
- The Northwest Senior Year Survival Guide | updates will post in the fall for the 2021-2022 school year |
- The Northwest Get Ready for "Life After High School" Timeline for underclassmen
- The Common App: Search for current Essay Prompts with Tips & Tools
- The Black Common App: Apply to several member institutions and pay one application fee.
- The Coalition Application Portal
- Glossary of College Career Terms
- The Montgomery County College Career web site
Maryland College Application Campaign (MCAC) Resources:
- Updates from the Maryland College Application Campaign will post in the 2021-2022 school year.
Students are able to meet with representatives from colleges, vocational schools, the military, and various career fields. Find out more...
The resource links below are available to download as Microsoft PowerPoint documents.
Montgomery College has made available to students opportunities for virtual assistance for all MC related concerns and/or questions. Northwest students are encouraged to reach out to Nicholas Boyd @ email@example.com.
NEWS! Apply now to Montgomery College (MC) with no application fee! Waiver period to apply is currently until further notice. | post 7 October 2020 |
- MC Biotechnology Department Information. Careers in Biotech!
- MC First Year Experience (FYE) Summer Bridge Program. Incoming freshmen - Earn a college credit this summer. Enroll now! Receive one college credit and a scholarship (based on class attendance and grade). Limited space. For more information visit the MC FYE website.
- High school seniors applying to Montgomery College are encouraged to apply during the 'Application Fee Waiver' season which has been extended indefinitely in response to COVID-19. Please note that it takes approximately 10 days for Montgomery College to generate the admission letters (mailed to the home) with the MC ID number required to take the Accuplacer.
The Accuplacer @ MC: Click here for important information about on-line Registration to Schedule an Accuplacer Appointment.
- Students planning to transfer to a 4-year post-secondary institution after MC are encouraged to use ARTSYS as part of their college planning. ARTSYS is the State of Maryland Articulation Information web site. ARTSYS shows which MC courses are recommended for transferring to specific Maryland colleges and universities.
SAVE THE DATES for Montgomery College Events - including Start Smart Enrollment Information Sessions.
- Take a Gap Year with Dynamy (Northwest HS presentation)
- Discover meaningful Gap Year programs with Overseas
- The Gap Year Association
- USA Gap Year Fairs: this website is the easiest one to navigate and it provides information about scholarships and upcoming remote events.