Staffed by Rochelle Davis,College Career Information Coordinator
Open to students, parents & community from 7:15 am to 3 pm
| News & Events |
Naviance | Student on the web
Free Kaplan courses through Naviance incl. test prep & college essay
MCPS College Career Information Center Site
Career Readiness Resources
The College Career Information Center is a college career resource for all high school students. College Scorecard, college search tool.
College Application Resources:
- The College Application Process for seniors
- The Northwest Senior Year Survival Guide - Hard copies available in the College Career Information Center & Counseling Office
- The Northwest Get Ready for "Life After High School" Timeline for underclassmen
- The Common App: Search for current Essay Prompts with Tips & Tools
- The Coalition Application Portal
- Glossary of College Career Terms
- The Montgomery County College Career web site
College Career High School Visits:
Students are able to meet with representatives from colleges, vocational schools, the military, and various career fields at their high school location. Visits are usually held in the College Career Information Center (Room 126) during the school day. Students with a valid Naviance Student account are able to register to attend visits and print their visit pass once logged into Naviance. A printed 'View Details' page is the visit pass. Passes signed by staff are required. Visit schedules run daily on JAG TV, are viewable in the Naviance Student account and on our event Google Calendar. Find out more...
The resource links below are available to download as Microsoft PowerPoint documents.
College Career News & Events:
- Northwest current sophomores and juniors with an interest in the Fire Sciences are invited to attend the MCPS Fire Science Academy Q&A on Tues., Feb. 25 during lunch in the College Career Information Center. Students going into the 11th grade can apply to participate in the Fire Science Program and students going into the 12th grade can apply to the EMT Program. To learn more about the programs before the Q&A visit montgomeryschoolsmd.org/career-readiness/plans/fire. Sign up to show interest in this Q&A in your Naviance Student account! | web post 10 Feb 2020 |
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Montgomery County Chapter: Black Youth Achievement Awards. This student recognition honors the outstanding African American and other minority students of the Montgomery County Public Schools for their accomplishments in the fields of academic, athletic, arts, citizenship and versatilty. The awards are named after famous African American men who were members of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. Recognized students will receive a certificate of achievement at a spring ceremony hosted by the fraternity. Northwest students and parents are invited to self-nominate for this honor. Nomination forms are due back to the College Career Information Center by March 16. Click here to download the Self-Nomination Form. | web post 6 Feb 2020 |
- Northwest HS College Fair Field Trip. Tuesday, March 31. Class of 2021. Destination: Discovery Sports Center. 9:40 a.m. to 12 noon. To attend, download the NWHS Field Trip Packet. Follow the instructions and return materials and fee to the College Career Information Center no later than 11:45 am on March 27. This college fair is a National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) event for Montgomery County Public Schools. The fair is open to the public at this venue on March 31 from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm | web post 31 Jan 2020 |
- MC Financial Awareness Month February 2020. Help with the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and the MSFAA (Maryland State Financial Aid Application). | web post 31 Jan 2020 |
- Women Apprenticeship Career Fair. Empowering Women In The Trade. Tuesday, February 25, 2020 from 11:00 am to 4:00 p.m. East County Regional Services Center. | web post 31 Jan 2020 |
- UMD College Courses. College Credits. College Park. Terp Young Scholars. July 12-31. Experience challenging academics and college life while earning college credits. Learn more and apply at tys.umd.edu. | web post 17 Jan 2020 |
The Maryland College Application Campaign (MCAC) kicks off on September 30 and as part of this campaign the following institutions will be waiving their college application fee:
- University of Baltimore (UB). Use the code UBFRESH20 (capital letters). The code is valid until February 28, 2020. | web post 30 October 2019 |
- UMBC has released their fee waiver code for use on the Common App. The code to look for on the payment screen is (Select 'other' as option for payment. The code should be in the drop down box). | web post 15 October 2019 |
- Salisbury University has released instructions for obtaining their application fee waiver on the Common App. Click here to download. | web post 15 October 2019 |
- High school seniors applying to Montgomery College are encouraged to apply during the 'Application Fee Waiver' season. October 1 through April 15. Seniors who would like to participate in the Accuplacer testing program with Northwest should be aware that it takes approximately 10 days for Montgomery College to generate the admission letters (mailed to the home) with the MC ID number required to take the Accuplacer.
The Accuplacer @ MC: Click here for important information about online Registration to Schedule an Accuplacer Appointment.
- Students planning to transfer to a 4-year post-secondary institution after MC are encouraged to use ARTSYS as part of their college planning. ARTSYS is the State of Maryland Articulation Information web site. ARTSYS shows which MC courses are recommended for transferring to specific Maryland colleges and universities.
SAVE THE DATES for Montgomery College Events - including Start Smart Enrollment Information Sessions.