Staffed by Rochelle Davis, College Career Information Coordinator
Got Questions? Need College Career Information? Schedule an appointment!
Available remotely for students, parents & community from 7:15 am to 3 pm
Get To Know Your College Career Information Center on YouTube!
- Inside the Northwest High School College Career Information Center (6 minutes)
- Inside the World of Scholarships at Northwest High School (17 minutes)
College Career News:
Apply now to Montgomery College (MC) with no application fee! Waiver period to apply is currently until further notice. | post 7 October 2020 |
On-page Quick Links:
| College Career Events Calendar | ♦ | College Career High School Visits |
| College Application Resources, including the Maryland College Application Campaign application fee waivers |
| College Career Virtual Resources New! Summer Programs & Internships |
| Montgomery College Information | ♦ | MCPS College Career Information Center Site |
| Career Readiness Resources, including resumes & cover letters | ♦ | Naviance | Student on the web |
| The Gap Year Information & Resources |
The College Career Information Center is a college career resource for all high school students.
Some of the resources below are from summer workshops offered by MCPS high schools through College Career Information Centers. They continue to be available and useful resources.
- Summer Programs & Internships. A Google Sheet compiled by MCPS College Career Information Coordinators. | post 29 January 2021 |
- Job Corps Virtual Sessions. Learn what the Job Corps can do for you. The training program is free, including housing if needed, and open to young people ages 16–24 who meet low-income and other eligibility requirements. Students go at their own pace in studying and training, learn employability skills, and earn credentials to start a meaningful career. Center staff are their support network every step of the way. The Job Corps will be hosting virtual orientation sessions for interested students and families every day Monday – Thursday at various times. The orientations can be joined via this link. (Monday 1:00 PM, Tuesday 11:00 AM, Wednesday 7:00 PM, Thursday 1:00 PM). Interested in learning more?? https://www.joinjobcorps.com/prospect/ or connect with an admissions representative by email.
- Inside The Common App: The Beginner's Guide to The Common Application: A step-by-step guide to capitalize on every section | webinar |
- NEW with Time Update: Real Talk: The College Experience of Students of Color. A Virtual Event sponsored by College Tracks & MCPS. FREE. Wednesday, April 14 @ 3 pm. Students can register to attend using this link. Schools represented are expected to be: U. of Alabama, Spellman, McDaniel College, Trinty Washington DC, UMBC, UMD, and Bowie State | updated post April 7 2021 |
- NEW: Financial Aid Bootcamp! Federal Student Aid (FSA) will be hosting a two-day Financial Aid Virtual Bootcamp between April 20 – 21, 2021. This bootcamp will focus on information designed to help participants learn about how to find the right college fit by using innovative tools such as the FSA’s Loan Simulator and College Scorecard. Attendees will also learn how to navigate the federal financial aid process and the steps after completing the 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form. Attendees will also discover how to interpret various types of financial aid award letters along with how to access and utilize FSA’s tools and resources. This bootcamp is ideal for students, parents, guidance counselors, college access professionals, college and career coaches, and other members of the financial aid community. Registration information here. Download the promotional flyer here. | post 6 April 2021 |
- REMINDER: UMD Society of Women Engineers presents "Discover Engineering". April 18, 2021 from 1 pm to 3 pm. This virtual event on Zoom will consist of fun activities such as major-specific discussions, bingo with student organizations, and a Q&A session. Event is open to all prospective and admitted students. Students can register here. After registration students will be prompted to sign a waiver and will be sent a Zoom link to the event. | post 16 March 2021 |
- REMINDER: NACAC Virtual College Fairs Announced. Events continue until May 2. FREE to register. Event post. Registration. | updated post 2 February 2021 |
- REMINDER: MCPS Launches Let's Talk Careers on Wednesdays. This is a new speaker series with industry experts sharing their career paths and industry expertise. Each session will be moderated by MCPS students. Watch on MCPS TV or YouTube. Click here to download the flier. | update 18 November 2020 |
- College Application Fee Waivers: Who Qualifies and How to Get Them from The College Essay Guy | post 11 November 2020 |
- The Northwest College Application Process: Seniors | post 2 October 2020 |
- The Northwest Senior Year Survival Guide | post 2 October 2020 |
- The Northwest Get Ready for "Life After High School" Timeline for underclassmen
- The Common App: Search for current Essay Prompts with Tips & Tools
- The Black Common App: Apply to several member institutions and pay one application fee.
- The Coalition Application Portal
- Glossary of College Career Terms
- The Montgomery County College Career web site
Maryland College Application Campaign (MCAC) Resources:
- UPDATE: MCAC Complete list of College Application Fee Waivers*. Complete list as of 7 October 2020 includes codes and instructions for securing a college application fee waiver for colleges and universities participating in the Maryland College Application Campaign. | update 17 November 2020 |
- NEW: Coppin State University can waive the $50 application fee! Send an email to Marcus Edwards to request the application waiver code. | 23 July 2020 |
Students are able to meet with representatives from colleges, vocational schools, the military, and various career fields. Find out more...
The resource links below are available to download as Microsoft PowerPoint documents.
Montgomery College has made available to students opportunities for virtual assistance for all MC related concerns and/or questions. Northwest students are encouraged to reach out to Nicholas Boyd @ email@example.com.
NEWS! Apply now to Montgomery College (MC) with no application fee! Waiver period to apply is currently until further notice. | post 7 October 2020 |
- MC Biotechnology Department Information. Careers in Biotech!
- MC First Year Experience (FYE) Summer Bridge Program. Incoming freshmen - Earn a college credit this summer. Enroll now! Receive one college credit and a scholarship (based on class attendance and grade). Limited space. For more information visit the MC FYE website.
- High school seniors applying to Montgomery College are encouraged to apply during the 'Application Fee Waiver' season which has been extended indefinitely in response to COVID-19. Please note that it takes approximately 10 days for Montgomery College to generate the admission letters (mailed to the home) with the MC ID number required to take the Accuplacer.
The Accuplacer @ MC: Click here for important information about on-line Registration to Schedule an Accuplacer Appointment.
- Students planning to transfer to a 4-year post-secondary institution after MC are encouraged to use ARTSYS as part of their college planning. ARTSYS is the State of Maryland Articulation Information web site. ARTSYS shows which MC courses are recommended for transferring to specific Maryland colleges and universities.
SAVE THE DATES for Montgomery College Events - including Start Smart Enrollment Information Sessions.
- Take a Gap Year with Dynamy (Northwest HS presentation)
- Discover meaningful Gap Year programs with Overseas
- The Gap Year Association
- USA Gap Year Fairs: this website is the easiest one to navigate and it provides information about scholarships and upcoming remote events.