Staffed by Rochelle Davis, College Career Information Coordinator
Got Questions? Need College Career Information? Schedule an appointment!
Available on-site and virtually for students, parents & community from 7:15 am to 3 pm
The College Career Information Center is a post-secondary planning resource resource for all high school students.
College Career e-NEWS Bulletin:
The College Career e-NEWS Bulletin contains college career events, the virtual high school visit schedule, Jag JOBS updates, college application resources and information, financial aid and scholarship opportunities. e-NEWS is delivered to the email inbox of our students and parents via Naviance. Academic year 2023-2024 publication date: 30 November 2023 - next publication date December 7.
NEW! MCPS College Career Information Center Clusters On-Site Admit Events:
All members of the Class of 2024 are welcome to participate and attend any event throughout Montgomery County!Northwood High School Cluster Event: Cluster Event Schools: Northwood High School* | John F. Kennedy High School | Montgomery Blair High School | Wheaton High School | Albert Einstein High School | Event Date: December 5 and 6; Time TBD | Click the Cluster Event link or image above for registration details | *Host School | posted 28 November 2023 |
Cluster Event Schools: Seneca Valley High School* | Watkins Mill High School | Gaithersburg High School | Damascus High School | Clarksburg High School | Northwest High School | Quince Orchard High School | Poolesville High School | Event Date: January 11 6 to 8 pm | *Host School | Additional details will be published after the start of the new year |
On-page Quick Links:
| New Posts & College Career Alerts | ♦ | College Career High School Visits |
| College Application Resources: including Application Fee Waiver Info, The College Essay, Common App & Coalition and the Maryland College Application Campaign (MCAC) college specific fee waivers |
| College Career Resources including College Career Planning Guide for Juniors & Job Corps Information |
| Montgomery College Information | ♦ | MCPS College Career Information Center Site |
| Career Readiness Resources, including resumes & cover letters | ♦ | Naviance | Student on the web |
| The Gap Year Information & Resources | ♦ | Learn about the HBCU |
| Military Academy Nomination Information |
| 2023 College Career Summer Workshop Resources |
NEW! Top colleges including the Ivy League, MIT, Stanford, and more pride themselves on being highly selective. But what does that mean for families aiming high? In this webinar, our experts will be breaking down top college barriers and offering families a new perspective about the most sought-after colleges in America. An event presented by College Wise. Tuesday, January 9. 6:30 pm EST.
In this event, you’ll discover:
- Admissions rates and how that impacts applicants
- What top college admissions officers look for
- How students can stand out in the application process
Families interested in applying to America’s top colleges, you won’t want to miss this! | Posted 28 November 2023 |
REMINDER! Are you interested in becoming a better leader of character? Northwest HS has been invited to send two males & two females from the Class of 2024 to join the West Point Society of DC on Friday, March 15, 2024, at the George Mason University Law School, Arlington Campus for the 17th annual West Point Leadership and Ethics Conference (WPLEC). You can expect a full day of great guest speakers, working in groups of fellow high school juniors from across the DMV to develop solutions to ethical challenges, learning from young military and civilian professionals, and bringing what you learn back to our school! Check out this link for video from the 2022 conference.
The WPLEC helps good leaders become better leaders of character, enabling them to make better decisions as they confront ethical challenges in school and beyond. To attend you must have a minimum 3.5 GPA and have demonstrated leadership in and out of the classroom. For program consideration complete this Google form no later than Friday, December 8. | Post 23 October 2023 |
ALERT! Summer 2023 College Career Virtual Workshops! For resources from presented workshops, visit the 2023 College Career Summer Workshop Resources web page. | Updated Post 10 August 2023 |
Get To Know Your College Career Information Center on YouTube!
- Inside the Northwest High School College Career Information Center (6 minutes)
- Inside the World of Scholarships at Northwest High School (17 minutes)
Some of the resources below are from various workshops offered by MCPS high schools through College Career Information Centers. They continue to be available and useful resources.
- Class of 2024: Resources from the Tuesday, March 21 Program | College Career Planning Presentation Slideshow | Post Secondary Planning Guide for College Career Readiness (view on screen below) or download in printable format | Northwest counselors reviewed the key components of college and/or career planning, college applications, discussed timelines, and provided resources to help students and families who are beginning the college and/or career search process. | Post 22 March 2023 |
- RESOURCE: Job search with USAjobs.gov
- RESOURCE: Maryland Department of Labor Apprenticeships & Training Programs
- RESOURCE: U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard. Search colleges. Find the right fit. Search careers. Financial Aid & FAFSA. Training programs and apprenticeships.
- RESOURCE: Relationship Building 101: Preparing for Life After High School
- RESOURCE: College Conversations: Connecting Students of Color to Top Colleges. Virtual Event. YouTube Video (English) | YouTube Video (Spanish)
- RESOURCE: Virtual Financial Aid Summer Workshop for Spanish speaking students and families. Click here for presentation recording
- RESOURCE: Search Test Optional Schools list.
- RESOURCE: Summer Programs & Internships. A Google Sheet compiled by MCPS College Career Information Coordinators.
- RESOURCE: The Montgomery County College Career web site
- ... See additional resources under Career Readiness, including resume tips and samples.
- A recording of Senator Van Hollen's 2022 Virtual Service Academy Info Event for Potential Applicants can be found online at https://youtu.be/AuNw2t8rx54.
- Information regarding Senator Van Hollen's application for a nomination to a U.S. Service Academy, including links to each Academy’s Admissions webpage.
- Questions regarding application for a nomination to an Academy from Senator Van Hollen, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 545-1500.
- RESOURCE: Job Corps... Learn what the Job Corps can do for you. The training program is free, including housing if needed, and open to young people ages 16–24 who meet low-income and other eligibility requirements. Students go at their own pace in studying and training, learn employability skills, and earn credentials to start a meaningful career. Center staff are their support network every step of the way.
- RESOURCE: Woodland Job Corps Center in Laurel MD
The resource links below are available to download as Microsoft PowerPoint documents.
- Career Readiness: Cover Letter Template (Sample) | Power Point Presentation Cover Letters
- Career Readiness: Applying for Employment
- Career Readiness: Searching and Applying for Employment
- Career Readiness: Resume Template (Sample) | Power Point Presentation The Resume
- Career Readiness: Link for Counselors Top 20 Must-Have Skills to Put on a Resume
- Career Readiness: Indeed The High School Resume
Montgomery College has made available to students opportunities for virtual assistance for all MC related concerns and/or questions.
Montgomery College Raptor Reference Enrollment Guide. An easy to follow guide from application to enrollment that includes deadlines along with a list of programs and majors.
Apply now to Montgomery College (MC) beginning October 1 with no application fee! Waiver period is subject to change by MC without high school notification.
Guided Placement @ MC: Guided Placement is used by the college to determine college readiness for college level courses. Click here for the most current information.
- Students planning to transfer to a 4-year post-secondary institution after MC are encouraged to use ARTSYS as part of their college planning. ARTSYS is the State of Maryland Articulation Information web site. ARTSYS shows which MC courses are recommended for transferring to specific Maryland colleges and universities.
- Take a Gap Year with Dynamy (Northwest HS presentation)
- Discover Europe with the Omio Gap Year. Questions? Click here.
- Discover meaningful Gap Year programs with Overseas
- The Gap Year Association
- USA Gap Year Fairs: this website is the easiest one to navigate and it provides information about scholarships and upcoming remote events.