News & Announcements:
Virtual Class Schedule and Calendar (Semester 2)
Hispanic and Latino Parent Meeting
- We will be having our monthly Hispanic and Latino Parent Meeting this Thursday, February 25th at 7:00 pm. We know parents have many questions regarding our students returning to the building so the focus of this meeting will be Wood’s reopening plan. We look forward to seeing you all there.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 869 6410 3427
Community Meeting- Re-Entry Information
- Thank you to those of you who attended this week’s community meeting. In case you missed it, here is the link to the recorded meeting, and here is the link to the presentation. We have changed the format for the meeting scheduled for Monday, February 22nd. We do not have any new information present at this time, but I will be available on zoom to answer any questions that you have regarding changing your preference of in-person or virtual experience and the instructional models that will be used. Please feel free to stop by on zoom from 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM to ask a question. The link to the zoom can be found here. As always stay informed by visiting the various resources MCPS has put together:
Updated Recovery Website
Mustang Meetup: The Lunch Bunch Edition - every Wednesday 11:45 - 12:30, see you there!
934 6584 2114
955 6183 2541
999 6862 3618
2nd semester materials distribution update
- To identify students, please make sure you bring a sign with your child’s first and last name, grade level, and student ID.
- Items will be pulled and placed on a table in front of the school building. The schedule is listed below. If you cannot come within the posted times, please call the school to schedule a time for pick up. All pick-ups will be contactless.
Material Distribution Times for the Week of February 22, 2021
- Monday February 22 - 11:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Wednesday, February 24, 2021 11:00am- 3:30pm
- Friday, February 26, 2021 11:00-3:30pm
Student registration for 2021-2022
- Students and families- if you have not done so already, please make sure to complete the Course Request Registration Google Form by Monday, February 22. The link to our webpage with the forms is below. Please reach out to your counselors with any questions about the course requests. As a reminder, all course recommendations can be viewed in StudentVUE or ParentVUE under the “Recommendations” tab on the left. Grade 7 / Grade 8 Registration Information and Forms
MCPS Planning to Offer System Wide Summer Programs
- MCPS is planning a variety of summer programs for elementary, middle and high school students. Programs will be focused on helping students accelerate learning following this unprecedented school year, with a focus on mathematics, literacy and preparing for the next grade level. More information is available here.
Free Tutoring Services
- Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) is pleased to announce a new, free student online tutoring and homework help service that will begin with the second semester on February 1. Tutorme.com is a secure, online resource that will be easily accessible through MCPS student Canvas and StudentVUE accounts and will offer on-demand assistance on any subject from grade 3 through grade 12.
- TheTutorme.com service provides assistance that aligns with the MCPS curriculum, including knowledge of new curriculum tools being implemented now. The service maintains rigorous standards providing high-quality, diverse tutors, screened for excellence (including a criminal background check). Free Tutoring Services Information
- Register your student here for the Earle B. Wood Middle School Spelling Bee! Deadline for taking the 15-minute online test to be one of the top 20 qualifiers is Monday, 2/15, so don't wait.
- Those who place will meet 2/16-3/8 for Spelling Club, to get ready for the Wood Middle School Spelling Bee to be held virtually on 3/8 at 6:30 p.m. The winner will participate virtually in the Montgomery County Regional Bee on 3/19. The winner of the regional bee will progress to the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C. in May. Sign up now so your student can take the online test to qualify by 2/15. Spelling Bee Letter Spanish Spelling Bee Letter English
- Please click the link to learn more about our celebration of Black History Month!
- The MSP, NJHS, and SGA are very excited to announce a new afterschool program starting on February 10th called The Hangout. Click the link above to learn more. Everyone is invited!
Meeting ID: 895 3214 6326
Media Center Book Return
- Did you know that Wood Middle School will be able to accept returns of all library books, regardless of what school they came from? We will have a labeled, covered bin located outside of the main entrance for books to be dropped off. Please ask your student if they have any library books that need to be returned.
- Students feel free to ask your administrators any questions by clicking the link above!
- In the coming weeks, MCPS will be reissuing ParentVue activation letters via e-mail and U.S. mail to families that have not yet set up their accounts. Please click the link above for more information and what to expect.
- Reduced Membership cost is $6. Please click on the link to register.
- Please note the PTA meeting for February 9, 2021 has been canceled due to our rising 6th grade articulation meeting (current 5th graders). The next PTA meeting will take place on Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 7pm.
- Looking for SSL hours? Help with the PTA Plastic Shopping Bag collection for our Plastic Sleeping Bags for the Homeless Project. Visit www.woodpta.org for more information.
- Wood Middle School will publish a yearbook for the 2020-2021 school year but we need your help. We need Yearbook Photos! The yearbook will still be published at Earle B. Wood Middle School and we are excited to announce we will be using YOUR photos to do that! We need summer photos, back to school photos, zoom classroom at home photos, and selfies of students in your masks!
- Please click the link above for further information and downloading the app to upload your photos!
- For more information about our Virtual Athletics Program as well as registration information go to the "Activities" Page link (above).
Wood Athletics and Extracurricular Activities Sign Up Form
- Please visit our "Activities" Page link (top of page) for more information.
COVID Testing Sites
- We have received information regarding COVID testing sites and have shared them here.
Chromebook Damage Financial Responsibility Information
- Students and their families are now financially responsible for any intentional or accidental damage of any Chromebook loaned out to the student. The Office of Technology and Innovation has created a technical document outlining the Chromebook obligation process. This document identifies the costs associated with each type of repair or replacement, as well as, where students and families can go to have a repair performed. While 45 West Gude is the only available repair site at this time, additional sites will be identified and added. To see the Chromebook Obligations document, please click here.
- This document links out to four relevant articles.
- Chromebook Repair Sites. See here.
- Chromebook Repair Costs: See here.
- Chromebook Acceptable Use Policy: See here.
- Regulation IGT-RA: See here.
Community Meal Distribution Hubs
The various food hubs in Montgomery County focus on providing food to families experiencing food insecurities in the community. If you know of a family in need that would benefit from one of the distribution centers please share the information. Please click on the links below for detailed information.
- Please fill out the survey to share additional supports that you need in order to help with your student’s success with Virtual Learning.
- If you have not yet completed your family FARMS application, this link will provide assistance for you to do so.
|For any student attendance matters, please email our attendance secretary Ada_L_Munoz@mcpsmd.org or call the main office at 301/460-2150.|
When you are ready to submit your completed SSL form use this link to submit:
Cuando esté listo para enviar su formulario SSL completo, utilice este enlace para enviar: