RHO KAPPA National Social Studies Honor Society
Sponsors: Mrs. Geri Acquard
Sponsors: Mrs. Kathy Simmons
Sponsors: Mr. Mitch Joy
TBA RHO KAPPA is governed by a five-person student council
RHO KAPPA: The purpose of Rho Kappa is to celebrate those who have dedicated themselves to a high level of performance in WJHS social studies and service to the WJHS community.
The criteria for membership are as follows:
- The student must have an overall UNWEIGHTED GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- The student must have taken 2 of the 3 Social Studies core classes at the AP level with an unweighted GPA of 3.5 or higher (Core classes are: US History, US Government, and Modern World History. You may be currently enrolled in one or more of these classes to be eligible.)
- The student must have taken 3 or more additional college credit bearing courses in Social Studies with no semester grade below B. The current course offerings that meet this requirement are AP European History, AP Microeconomics, AP Macroeconomics, AP Psychology, AP Comparative Government, AP Human Geography and HONORS/CLEP Sociology.
- If the student has completed all graduation requirements before their senior year, they must still be enrolled in a WJ Social Studies course each semester of their senior year to maintain active membership.
- In addition to high academic achievement, there are other requirements of Rho Kappa which include:
- The student must uphold all aspects of personal integrity as stated in the MCPS and WJHS Student Codes of Conduct and Academic Integrity.
- The student must attend all quarterly Rho Kappa meetings and planned activities.
- The student must meet the service and cultural requirements.
- The student must pay the required membership fee (to be determined but expected to be around 15-20 dollars.)
- Please note that Rho Kappa members must meet the above requirements in order to maintain active membership and receive recognition at graduation.
Invitations to join will be sent via your mcpsmd.net email based on your eligibility. The induction ceremony will be on November 30, 2022, for those who meet the criteria.
Want to join? Click here to open the application. The application opens on September 23, 2022, and closes on September 30, 2022.