English for Speakers of Other Languages
Welcome to Seneca Valley's ESOL department!
The ESOL program offers intensive English language classes at 5 levels: low beginning, high beginning, low intermediate, high intermediate and advanced.
Beginning students receive two ESOL classes daily. In addition to daily intensive English language instruction, students have many offerings: alternative courses in subjects such as social studies, math and science; basic skills classes in reading and math; and language lab. They also participate in mainstream classes.
- Teaching students enough English to function successfully in the regular classroom.
- Providing intensive basic skills instruction to those who have had little or no previous schooling.
- Counseling those who are adjusting to a new school and community environment.
- Assessing those suspected of having a handicapping condition.
- Minimizing linguistic and cultural barriers to enable parents to participate in their children's education.
ESOL students come from a variety of cultural, linguistic, socioeconomic and academic backgrounds. Many ESOL students are children of refugees or recently arrived immigrants, and a growing number were born in the United States.
Adult ESOL Classes - (301) 962-8950 Press 2