The annual Afro-Academic, Cultural, Technological, and Scientific Olympiad (ACT-SO) is starting up for this year. ACT-SO is an initiative of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People that celebrates students of African descent in academics and the arts. The local ACT-SO competition is run through Montgomery College and has both monetary and scholarship prizes. There is an information meeting for students Friday 2/7/2020 during lunch in room 31.
Please think if you have particular interests or talents in any of the following areas, and consider entering the ACT-SO competition. Please come see me if you have any questions or concerns about what you'd like to submit, and I’ll be glad to talk to you!
ACT-SO competition categories:
• writing poetry
• writing a play
• writing a short story
• writing an essay
• composing a piece of music
• creating a science project in biology, chemistry, earth/space science, medicine & health, or physics
• creating a project in computer science or mathematics
• creating an project in architecture or engineering
• performing a dance (ballet, contemporary, modern, or traditional)
• performing a vocal classical or contemporary piece
• performing an instrumental piece (classic or contemporary)
• performing a dramatic piece
• orating (giving a speech)
• performing a poem
• creating a business plan
More about each category can be found here: https://www.montgomerycollege.edu/events/act-so/act-so-category-descriptions.html Students may enter up to three different categories.
Poolesville High School