We understand that paying for college is not easy. There are many scholarships available to students for some extra financial aid. Your best resource is to meet with your College/Career Information Coordinator. These professionals will help guide you in your search for scholarships and answer any questions you may have. I have included a list of scholarship links and applications below for your convenience.
**REMEMBER - When searching, it is very important to read all scholarship requirements carefully to determine if you are eligible. You do not want to put time and effort into completing an application for a scholarship that you are not eligible to win.
Also, keep in mind that some scholarship applications may require a letter of recommendation from a teacher or responsible adult. Pay attention to deadlines and give these people at least a week to complete this part of the application for you.
WEEKLY (Recurring; See Sites For Exact Deadline Dates)
- Zinch Weekly Scholarship - one $1,000 award per week; write a short essay (a few sentences)
- Common Knowledge Scholarship Foundation - $500-$5,000; take a quiz, show what you know, win scholarships. It's that easy!
- Courage to Grow Scholarship - $500; Junior or Senior; min 2.5 GPA; 250 words or less why you should win $.
- Quick Entry Course Hero Scholarship - $1,000; Senior; must be at least 16 years old to enter; create an account and submit a response of up to 1000 words on the monthly topic.
- $2,000 No Essay Scholarship - $2,000; 9-12 grade; U.S. Cit. or legal res.; register for site; random winner drawn monthly; you can enter once each month for a chance to win.
- Pulse of Perseverance Scholarship - $1,000; 9-12 grade; read the book, "Pulse of Perseverance: Three Black Doctors on Their Journey to Success" and submit a 250-word essay and 60 second video; see link for essay and video guidelines.
15 - Richard W. Collins III Leadership with Honor Scholarship (MD Higher Education Scholarship) - $500-$1,000 per year; senior; member of ROTC; minority student or a student who is a member of another group historically underrepresented in Reserve Officer Training Corp (ROTC) programs; must be enrolled full-time at Bowie State University, Coppin State University, Morgan State University, or University of Maryland Eastern Shore; see link for details.
15 - The Law Offices of Steinberg, Goodman, and Kalish Annual Academic Scholarship - 1-$1,000 award; graduated senior; US citizen or permanent US resident; entering a two- or four-year school full-time in the fall; write an essay of 1,500 words or less about teenage driving and post to a blog; see link for specific prompt and posting instructions.
20 - Pedro Zamora Young Leaders Scholarship - graduated senior; min 2.5 GPA; demonstrate an active commitment to end HIV/AIDS and taking on roles of public service and leadership; essay (1,500 words max); letter of rec.; transcript; see link for full details and specific prompt.
31 - Education Prep PLUS HBCU Book Scholarship - at least 10 awards of $500; graduated senior; documented as homeless or displaced by the school or GED liaison under the McKinney Vento Act; copy of Student Aid Report (FAFSA), if you are unable to complete the FAFSA due to your citizenship status, please contact us immediately to maintain your eligibility for this opportunity; copy of final transcript; 1 letter of rec.; copy of acceptance letter from intended HBCU; proof of enrollment and college class schedule; personal statement (optional).
31 - Minecraft College Scholarship - 1-$2,000 award; open to current high school and college students; U.S. Citizen; min 3.0 GPA; write a short essay (min 500 words) about your opinion on how Minecraft can be a positive influence on education and career development.
31 - Active Life Scholarship to Tackle Your Weakness - 1-$1,000 award; current high school or college students age 15 years or older; this scholarship encourages students to identify and take action to improve a weakness and begin to transform it into a strength; answer one of two questions in 3-5 sentences.
31 - Dixie Belle Paint Company Scholarship - 1-$3,500 and 2-$1,250 awards; seniors and college students; must be a U.S. Citizen; write and essay of 500 max answering the following prompt: How does individual creativity lead to success?
01 - Life Coach Spotter Scholarship - $1,000; open to ALL graduated seniors entering a school full-time in the fall; no GPA requirement; write a 1,000-1,500 word essay about a personal story of the biggest challenge you’ve had to overcome in your life; proof of enrollment or an acceptance letter.
Scholarship Search Sites
- www.fastweb.com - Great site! Profile-based database
- www.tuitionfundingsources.com - Lots of info! Profile-based database
NEW!!! Open Education Database is a great, extensive resource featuring information about MD schools, scholarships, loans, and more! Check it out: oedb.org/maryland/.
The College Scholarship Guide has many great tips and information about the scholarship application process. Check it out: www.thesimpledollar.com/college-scholarship-guide/.