Mrs. Megan Meszaros-World Language Resource Teacher
Spanish 1A/B, Spanish 3 A/B
Andrea Weston-Spanish 1 A/B, FY Spanish 1B
Valeria Medina -Spanish 2, SSSP 1 A/B
Hawa Barry-French 1 A/B, French 1 B
The goal of the world languages program in Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) is to prepare students to be linguistically and culturally competent in languages other than English. The ability to communicate in a culturally appropriate manner with speakers of other languages is the key to success in the increasingly diverse global community of the 21st century. As students develop proficiency in world languages and an understanding of the underlying values and beliefs of other cultures, they gain the skills that are essential to meaningful communication.
• Effective communication requires both language proficiency and cultural competence.
• Through the study of a world language, people gain insight into the perspectives of a culture that shape its patterns of behavior, ways of life, world views, and contributions.
• Learning a world language expands educational experiences through connections with other disciplines and enables people to gain knowledge that is only accessible through that language.
• The study of a world language enables people to develop insights into the nature of language and culture.
• Proficiency in a world language allows people to participate as members of multilingual and multicultural communities.