Patterns of Settlement Using GPS for Navigation
Students assess settlement potential of a variety of locations and learn to use hand-held global positioning system (GPS) units. Working in groups, students use the GPS units to navigate to several assigned locations and collect environmental and geographic data. At the end of the lesson, students analyze their data and use their knowledge from grade six world studies to determine which location is best to settle and establish a community.
These lesson materials are designed to supplement and refresh the workshops. Teachers are strongly encouraged to attend a training workshop before teaching the patterns of settlement class. Teachers are encouraged to use the resources below, but are welcome to adjust them to fit the needs of their students and outdoor environmental education program.
- Patterns of Settlement Lesson Plan
- Patterns of Settlement Student Data Sheet
- Patterns of Settlement Map for Smith Center
- Patterns of Settlement Notes – Summit Lake
- Patterns of Settlement Student Prezi (Good introduction before you come to OE)