I am very proud to share some of our early student achievements and recognition.
Wein has participated in S.T.A.R.S. combines since 2013. "Skating is unique in that it is an art and a sport. Many aspects of your fitness inlluence your ability to perform your best. Over the past years, the S.T.A.R.S. combine has helped me to pinpoint aspects of my fitness I wanted to work on. Once you start working on something and get it better, there's always something else you want to improve." His goal has been to work more on the artistry and perlormance of his skating and to improve his fexibiliry while maintaining strength and stamina in his oflice training.'Wein plays the guitaq bass guitar and viola. He enjoys listening to classic rock music, painting and sketching.
SEAP intern Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division
“Congratulations to Freshman Isaac Righter who placed 3rd
at the NHSCA National wrestling tournament this past weekend in Virginia Beach
this past weekend. Isaac earns All American status in wrestling with this
- Joyce Chung, Benjamin Hawkins, and Kyra Malone were 2016 commended students in the National Merit Scholarship program for outstanding performance on the preliminary SAT qualifying test given in 2015.
- Katherine Ortega was recently selected for the prestigious Posse Scholarship. This was a very proud moment for our school. She was one of only ten students from nine high schools to receive this honor. She was also the recipient of the Harvard Book Club Award during the 2015-2016 school year.
- Jenessa Oxlaj received an award from the National Academy of Future Physicians and Medical Scientists for academic excellence and leadership.
- Thomas Flint recently achieved the level of Eagle Scout recognizing citizenship, service, and leadership.
“Congratulations to Freshman Isaac Righter who placed 3rd at the NHSCA National wrestling tournament this past weekend in Virginia Beach this past weekend. Isaac earns All American status in wrestling with this achievement.
Michael McShane: Rising Star http://wjla.com/sports/rising-stars/michael-mcshane-rising-star
A Visit to Magruder High Students Megan Mitchell and Sam Lee each wrote essays highlighting the impact this visit had on them.
Congratulations to Sophomores Wali Rifai and Kyle Starost, who participated in the Montgomery County Science Fair (Science Montgomery) as team members their project was titled, "The Use of a Red Fluorescent Protein to Evaluate Gene Expression in Live Zebrafish Embryos." It received three awards: Meritorious Achievement Award from the Public Health Service and the Commissioned Officers Association, Excellence in Scientific Exposition from Science Montgomery itself and Honorable Mention Award at the awards ceremony.
The Science Department would like to recognize senior Eileen Holovac for her outstanding research work at NIH this school year. Eileen has been published in two research articles with a third publication pending. If you would like to read more about her research you can find the articles on PubMed.gov at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Eileen%20Holovac. Eileen has participated in a year-long internship with a senior research scientist at NIH. Eileen is off to college in the fall in pursuit of a career in pharmacy. Congratulations to Eileen on a job well done and we wish her all the best.
Research Intern at NIH- Currently working on a joint research project with NIH and Harvard Medical School.
- Co-authored a study on Cisplatin-Induced Nephropathy
- The study is titled Mitochondrial-targeted antioxidants represent a promising approach for prevention of Cisplatin-Induced Nephropathy.
- Eileen’s area of focus was cell viability.
- She plans to attend college in the fall to study pharmaceutical research at one of the leading universities on the east coast.