Maryland's Black Eyed Susan Award
Image Credit: MASL
Students must read a minimum of 3 Black Eyed Susan books.
Students who meet the requirements will be invited to a voting celebration in April. For more information about the state program visit http://maslmd.org/about-bes/.
Click here for a PDF list of all of the novels that have been nominated for the Black-Eyed Susan Award for students in grades K-12. This list includes a wide variety of genres and reading levels for all students. All titles were selected by a committee of librarians from the Maryland Association of School Librarians.
- MCPL E-Library
- To borrow items you may need to download software or apps and enter your library card number and pin. Make sure to get your caregiver's permission first!
- Don't have an MCPL library card? Learn how to apply for one here.
|Open Library: Borrow e-books for all ages, or read over 1,000,000 of world classical literature online|
- KidSpirit Online: Free magazine for teens by teens! Click Current Issue
- Newsweek: Current Events
- Ranger Rick: For animal lovers by the National Wildlife Federation
- Scholastic News: Current Events and daily news for kids
- Time for Kids: News and culture for kids
- CNN Student News: Student news designed for middle and high school students
|What Should I Read Next: Enter a book you like and the site will analyze our huge database of real readers' favorite books to provide book recommendations and suggestions for what to read next.|
|We Need Diverse Books: An organization that advocates for essential changes in the publishing industry to produce and promote literature that reflects and honors the lives of all young people.|
Award Winning Books
- Newbery Award Books: Most distinguished contribution to American literature for children
- Coretta Scott King Book Awards: Outstanding African American authors and illustrators of books for children and young adults that demonstrate and appreciation of African American culture and universal human values
- Schneider Family Book Award: Outstanding author or illustrator for a book that embodies an artistic expression of the disability experience for child and adolescent audiences
- Stonewall Book Awards - Mike Morgan & Larry Romans Children's and Young Adult Literature Award: Outstanding books that have exceptional merit relating to the LGBT experience
- Young Adult Library Services Association Nonfiction Award: Outstanding nonfiction book published for young adults
- Young Adult Library Services Association Edwards Award: Honors an author for significant and lasting contribution to young adult literature
- Michael L. Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature: Outstanding books that exemplify literary excellence in young adult literature
- Pura Belpre Award: Outstanding Latino/Latina author whose work best portrays, affirms and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth
- Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature: Outstanding work about Asian/Pacific Americans and their heritage based on literary and artistic merit
- Teens' Top Ten Nominees: A book list for teens by teens
- Capitol Choices: Noteworthy books for children and teens