Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
Mrs. Carla McCaffrey, Media Specialist
Ms. Stacey Podber, Media Assistant
Contact: Please email Mrs. McCaffrey with any questions.
The Library Media Center at Lakewood Elementary School provides a variety of materials for leisure reading, research, and curriculum support. The main goals of the library media program are to encourage reading and the independent use of information resources and to develop information literacy and digital citizenship skills.
Mrs. McCaffrey is available via email from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm every Monday - Friday.
Please visit the Destiny catalog for ebooks.
Due to the return to in-person learning, I have to make changes to the curbside pickup of library books.
As of Monday, March 15, 2021:
If you student is remaining virtual and you want library books, you will email Mrs. McCaffrey with your choices. I will be enforcing the only one of a series, and only one graphic novel at a time rules.
Curbside pickup will take place on Fridays from 11:30 am - 12:00 pm only. I cannot be outside for longer than that due to other obligations. We can no longer accomodate pickups at other days and times.
When your books are ready, you will receive an email. Please do not come to the school until you know that the books are here for you. You must return checked out library books to receive new library books!
Here is the information you should email to me:
List three titles and authors you would like to check out:
Use destiny.mcpsmd.org to find your books. See your Media classroom for directions.
Library rules still apply:
- Only one graphic novel at a time.
- Only one of a series at a time.
- Must be age appropriate - for example 1st graders may not checkout graphic novels and 5th graders may not checkout “Elephant & Piggie.”
- There will be no holds. You may contact me once a week for books. I will accept orders from Monday - Wednesday at 4:00 pm. I will not save orders. Each week that you want books requires an email to me.
If you are returning to in-person learning:
Grades 2 - 5 will look up the books they want in the Destiny catalog and email me using the Inbox on their Dashboard. I will deliver the books to you. When you are ready to return books you will give them to the adult in the classroom who will place them in the designated area for pickup. Books will be quarantined before being checked out again.
1st Grade students will tell me or Ms. Podber what they want - we will help you with looking up books - and we will deliver them to you.
Kindergarten and Learning for Independence students will have books selected each week and brought to the classroom. Please use hand santizer before selecting a book from the cart! Please let your teacher in the room know what you want to read and I will pull it for you.
Welcome Back in-person students!
News from Montgomery County Public Library:
1) here is a flyer of MCPL resources designed for students heading back to school, including ways to checkout ebooks and audiobooks.
2) Additionally, here is a flyer MCPL’s Holds to Go program. This program allows customers to place holds on physical materials and make appointments to pick them up in a safe, socially distanced environment once they've received notification that their holds are ready.
Lastly, families who do not already have a working public library card may apply for a digital library card here. Right now customers may use the Holds to Go system to pick up physical materials with digital library cards as well.
- Lakewood Student Learning Links
- Online Subscription Services - Home Use - Students please go to your Media myMCPS Classroom for this information.
- Common Sense Media - Digital Citizenship