Gifted and Talented Program
- Acceleration of instruction means that students are given a curriculum that is at a higher level above student's current grade level; information is more complex and/or more rapidly covered
- Enrichment is defined as giving students the opportunity to learn in greater depth and breadth
- Accelerated and enriched instruction aims to provide all students capable of doing accelerated instruction or enriched work with the opportunity to do so
Strategies Implemented at CJMS
- Formative assessment (i.e. exit cards, portfolios, Promethean ActiVotes)
- Anchor Activities
- Flexible Grouping
- Tiered Activities
Enriched and Accelerated classes at Cabin John Middle School:
Accelerated and Enriched courses in World Studies
- Historical Inquiry into Global Humanities 6 - This course is built around the core Grade 6 social studies curriculum, Historical Inquiry in World Studies 6, which includes historical content from early civilizations, the empires of Greece and Rome, the dynasties of China, and civilizations of the first millennium. Students will go beyond this core as they learn additional content, explore deeper connections to today, engage in investigative inquiry to strengthen their writing through Document-Based Questions, and enhance their learning through relevant literature connections.
- Historical Inquiry into Global Humanities 7- This course is built around the core Grade 7 social studies curriculum, Historical Inquiry in World Studies 7, which includes historical content from civilizations of Latin America, Africa, and medieval Europe as well as global interactions following the Columbian Exchange. Cohort students will go beyond this core as they learn additional content, explore deeper connections to today, engage in investigative inquiry to strengthen their writing through Document Based Questions, and enhance their learning through relevant literature connections. They also will participate in the National History Day (NHD) competition to research historical topics related to a NHD annual theme.
- Historical Inquiry into US. History 8- In this course, students will use the Social Studies Literacy Skills with increasing complexity as they explore the history of the United States from colonization to post Civil War Reconstruction and Industrialization. Throughout the course students will analyze multiple perspectives and study how diverse populations of Americans, including Native Americans, African Americans, women, immigrants, and Mexican Americans, contributed to and were impacted by events while making connections between the past and the present. This course prepares students for continuing their study of U.S. History in ninth grade..
Accelerated and Enriched courses in Math
- Accelerated Math 6 Plus (AMP6+) and Accelerated Math 7 Plus (AMP7+) - AMP6+ and AMP7+ extends students’ understanding of mathematical concepts aligned with Common Core State Standards (CCSS), accelerating the pace of instruction while diving deeper into concepts at an equal level of intensity. The AMP6+ course compacts all of the Grade 6 Common Core Standards and half of the Grade 7 Common Core Standards into a single year. The AMP7+ course compacts the other half of the Grade 7 Common Core Standards and all of the Grade 8 Common Core Standards into one year. Students collaboratively work with peers to develop concepts and solve real-world problems.
- Course advancement in mathematics
- High School course work (Student Performance Dependent)
If you have any questions about World Studies or Math programs, please contact Mrs. Katy Litzinger
MCPS Accelerated and Enriched Instruction Website:
- Spanish translations are now available to be downloaded from the MCPS website.
- Look under "special programs" under the "parents" section in the main section of the site. Select the program you are interested in and the application should be available on each program's site.
Announcements and Workshops
- Application program information is available on the MCPS website:
- https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/career-readiness/options.aspx#highand a one-page High School Countywide and Regional Special Programs At-a-Glance is available.
- More information, include due dates for applications, may be found on the MCPS website: montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/specialprograms/admissions/applications.aspx/
If you have any additional questions about Magnet Programs, contact Mrs. Erika Murray, Resource Counselor