MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
My name is Stacy Dobres, and I am so happy to be the counselor at Woodlin Elementary School. I look forward to collaborating with Woodlin staff, and families, to ensure that all Woodlin students thrive academically, socially, and emotionally.
I am a proud graduate of Montgomery County Public Schools. I earned my B.A, in Psychology, and Elementary Education, from Western Maryland College, and I taught fourth and second grades in MCPS for seven years. After earning an M.S, in Counseling, from Johns Hopkins University, I counseled at the middle school level in MCPS for eight years.
In my free time, I play on multiple volleyball and softball teams, and I try to run at least one 5K race a month. Additionally, I love going to the theatre and attending Ravens football games with my family.
I am looking forward to another great year at Woodlin Elementary School! If any questions arise, please feel free to contact me at 240-740-2820, or email me at: Stacy_K_Dobres@mcpsmd.org.
The Counselor's Role
It is the counselor's role to support students so they can be their best at school, academically, socially and emotionally. These are some examples of how the counselor supports students and their families:
- Monthly Classroom Counseling Lessons – Topics include respect, friendship, and bullying.
- Individual Counseling – Students are identified through parent, teacher and self-referral.
- Counseling Groups – Groups could meet at lunch or throughout the day. Themes are determined by need at each grade level. Popular topics are social skills, study skills, self-esteem, anger management and family changes.
- Grade Level Lunch Bunches - Students have an opportunity to have lunch bunch in the counselor's office just for fun. It helps her get to know individual students better, and also provides students, who are not comfortable talking in a large group setting, a chance to express themselves in a smaller group.
- Parent Consultations: The counselor is available to meet with parents and staff (sometimes together) to discuss student and family concerns.