MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
The John F. Kennedy High School PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association) is a vibrant and hard-working organization that provides support to over 1900 students and nearly 300 staff members throughout the year. All parents, guardians, students, staff members, and even business and community members are invited to join the PTSA. Your active involvement is vital to our success as we endeavor to support every student, teacher, and staff member at John F. Kennedy High School. Meetings are held the third Tuesday of every month, during which we offer valuable information about school operating issues, fundraising, staff appreciation, and much more. The Kennedy PTSA is committed to helping all students succeed by bringing resources and programming to enhance the regular curriculum and by supporting teachers as they bring creativity and innovation to their classrooms. Kennedy High School has a tremendous leadership team, great staff, and amazing students and families. We hope that you will embrace this wonderful community and that you will share your time and talents with our students, teachers, and staff. We guarantee you that your assistance will have huge rewards for the students and that you will find tremendous satisfaction in helping at Kennedy. Go Cavs!
Our PTSA has started using an online communication tool called MemberHub. The Kennedy PTSA uses MemberHub to bring you into our school community and keep you informed and engaged with what is happening. Within our MemberHub site, we hope to have our e-store, newsletters, sign-up sheets, shared calendar events, files, photos, reminders, and much more, all in one place!
With MemberHub you can:
- Join the PTSA, shop Givebacks offers, and buy other items online
- Sign up for volunteer time slots or needed items and receive reminders
- Receive emails and/or texts with communications from all levels of our PTSA
- Share files and photos in a secure environment
- Utilize the calendar and receive event reminders
- Access a private online school directory
- Install the MemberHub app on your smartphone for info on the go
Please go to our MemberHub website to learn more!
POST PROM COORDINATORS ARE NEEDED! One of the most important tasks of the PTSA is the planning and execution of the annual Post Prom Party. The Post Prom Party is a fun drug-free and alcohol-free party at a safe location immediately following the Kennedy Prom. The Post Prom is for all Kennedy seniors and their dates—all seniors are welcome regardless of whether or not they attend Prom. Activities include game tables, tattoo artists, a photo booth, tables of food, and much more. This event can only be held with the financial support of Kennedy parents and friends. Help the PTSA keep our students safe after the prom—help plan or make a donation! For more information about how to get involved, contact Kristen Walker Painemilla.
2020-21 Executive Board
The 2020-21 Executive Board was elected at the October meeting. Please see below for the full calendar of meeting dates and presentations.
|President||Kristen Walker Painemilla|
|Past President||Amie Wohlfarth|
|Vice President||Joe Jenkins|
|NAACP Representation||Kelly Eiskant|
|Membership Chairs||Tanya Dyer, Gayle Rankine|
|Staff Appreciation Chairs||Nancy Goldberg, Zolfa Valiani-Merchant, Michelle Bonner|
|MCCPTA Representation||Meg Morrow, Bryan Benesch|
|Post Prom Chair(s)||OPEN|
|Healthy Food Committee||OPEN|
2020-21 Meeting Dates
PTSA meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month from 6-7:30 p.m. This year's meetings will be held on the following dates:
- September 22, 2020
- October 20, 2020
- November 17, 2020
- December 15, 2020
- January 19, 2021
- February 16, 2021
- March 16, 2021
- April 20, 2021
- May 18, 2021
Please check back regularly for current information. These dates were posted here as of October 2020.
PTSA Presentations in Review
Want to know some of the topics the PTSA covers?
We bring you information about:
- MyMCPS Classroom
- College and career readiness
- School safety and security
- Parent information for the senior class
- Projects sponsored by LTI
- Details on SAT Day
- Step Afrika!
- Assemblies on student safety, like awareness of the dangers of drinking and driving
- Post Prom
- Community outreach with the Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad, including a car wash fundraiser and the annual Christmas tree sales
- Staff appreciation throughout the year
We participate in:
- Back to School Night
- Family Markets
- Family Night Out events
- Board of Education meetings
- MCCPTA meetings
Ways to Make Money for the Kennedy HS PTSA
AmazonSmileSelect "John F. Kennedy High School PTA" and be sure to do your Amazon shopping at https://smile.amazon.com.
eScrip Stores (including Safeway)
Register your store cards, credit/debit cards, or buy digital gift cards. Then shop, dine out, or even take a cruise to earn easily and automatically when you shop with merchants that give back. Be sure to register "John F Kennedy High School PTSA" at https://www.escrip.com.
PTSA Meeting Minutes Archive
- JFK PTSA General Meeting, March 2021
- JFK PTSA General Meeting, February 2021
- JFK PTSA General Meeting, January 2021
- JFK PTSA General Meeting, December 2020
- JFK PTSA General Meeting, November 2020
- JFK PTSA General Meeting, October 2020
- JFK PTSA General Meeting, September 2020
- JFK PTSA General Meeting, October 2015
- JFK PTSA General Meeting, September 2015
If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the JFK NAACP Rep, Kelly Eiskant.
Why Join the PTSA?
What is PTA? Why join PTA? The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Student Association is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. But there are many more PTSA advantages:
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Discover Great Resources. The PTA offers a variety of programs designed for parents as well as students.
- Tap into a Network. PTA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, building rapport and discussing issues that are on your mind. You can share ideas, concerns, and experiences.
- Watch Yourself Grow. By volunteering with your PTA, you put your skills and hobbies to use for a noble cause—your child and all children in the community.
- Speak Up. PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
- Witness Improvement. By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Local PTAs play an important role by supporting building improvements through advocacy and play an important role in fundraising for curriculum based programs and social events.
- Be a Role Model. By becoming a PTA member, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.
- Enjoy Substantial Benefits. Individuals and local units can take advantage of a host of benefits from PTA membership including discounts and offers from member benefits providers and sponsors, magazine subscriptions, leadership training, e-newsletters and much more.