Teacher Academy of Maryland
Are you interested in teaching or working in education, childcare or human services? The Teacher Academy of Maryland (TAM) provides hands-on learning opportunities, including a year-long internship experience in a Montgomery County Public Schools classroom and educational foundation courses.
The TAM program prepares students for further education and careers in the education profession. Upon completion of the program and passing the ParaPro test or PRAXIS Core, high school graduates are ready for employment in the teaching profession. This program is based on the outcomes of the Maryland Associate of Arts in Teaching (A.A.T.) degree. Students can receive college credit and scholarships to several Maryland baccalaureate teacher education programs.
|Human Growth and Development|
|Introduction to Teaching as a Profession|
|Fundamentals of Teaching and Curriculum|
|Advanced Educational Internship|
Towson University Affiliation
Towson University is the affiliate university for the TAM. As such, TU continues to assume responsibility for planning and implementing relevant, high quality, sustained professional development opportunities for TAM educators.
- Interns work with established mentor teachers in local MCPS schools and classrooms
- Partnership with Towson University
- Potential to earn college credits and/or tuition stipend at select Maryland colleges and universities
- Preparation for the Parapro Exam (to gain employment with MCPS as a paraprofessional in the classroom)
- Additional opportunities and special consideration for future employment with MCPS upon completion of a collegiate teaching program
- Team and paired teaching opportunities and classroom observations
CLICK HERE to learn more.
Teacher Academy Activities
Check out some of the activities we participate in!
This year we created a TAM FAM tree, working collaboratively to build it.
Students working on lesson plans for the Fall Festival (left); engaging in project-based learning to develop instructional strategies and educational insight (right).