Skip to main content

Student Transfers
(Change of School Assignment)

2023-2024 School Year

  How are Students Assigned to Their Home School?

Students in Montgomery County are expected to attend the school within the established attendance area in which they reside (home school) or assigned in accordance with their Individualized Education Program (IEP). Students may apply for Change of School Assignment (COSA) from the home school, or the school of assignment through the IEP process, based on the following criteria.

 To determine what the local school is for a specific address, call the School Boundary Information Line at 240-314-4710 between 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. weekdays.  

  Why is a Student Allowed to Transfer to Another School?

  •  Unique Hardship- Students may apply for a COSA when extenuating circumstances related to their specific physical, mental, or emotional well-being or their family's individual or personal situation could be mitigated by a change of school assignment. 
  •  Family Move- Students whose families have moved within Montgomery County who wish to continue attending their former home school may request a COSA without demonstrating a unique hardship.  Such requests may be considered for the remainder of the current school year only, with the exception that students in Grade 11 or 12 may be granted a COSA to stay through high school graduation.  
  •  Siblings- When a student seeks to attend the school where a sibling will be enrolled in the regular/general school program, or a special education program, during the year the student wants to enroll.

 » When a sibling attends a magnet, language immersion, or other application program at the elementary level, a COSA may be approved to the regular school program for other siblings on a case-by-case basis.  Such approval requires consideration of available classroom space, grade-level enrollment, staffing allocations, or other factors that impact the schools involved.   

  •  The criteria above regarding siblings does not apply if a boundary change has occurred.
  • Refer to COSA Form for more options 

 These Students Do Not have to Submit a COSA If Requesting Another School Within Their Consortium:

  • High school students who live in the Northeast Consortium (NEC) or Downcounty Consortium (DCC) areas and are requesting another Consortium school.
  • Middle school students who live in the Middle School Magnet Consortium (MSMC) and are requesting another MSMC school, or who went through the MSMC Choice process lottery and are applying to an MSMC school.
  •  If You Are Requesting another school within the Consortium, you must submit a written and signed letter of appeal to the Division of Consortia Choice and Application Program Services (DCCAPS), via email, located at 11721 Kemp Mill Road, Silver Spring, Maryland 20902.  For information on changing school with the NEC, DCC, or MSMC, contact the DCCAPS at 240-740-2540, or visiting the website 

     Please Note: By accepting a COSA, the parent or guardian must provide transportation.   


    How do I Apply for a School Transfer? 

    The transfer process begins in the home school, where parents/guardians may request an assignment change form and the Change of School Assignment Information Booklet that describes the process and provides useful information.

    Information Booklets Transfer Request Forms

     Change of School Assignment Information Booklet

    Folleto de información sobre el cambio de escuela asignada   

    Other languages: 中文 | français | tiếng Việt | 한국어 | አማርኛ | Portuguese  

    Change of School Assignment (COSA) form and the information booklets will be available in schools the first week of February. Special programs that do not fall under the transfer guidelines are listed in the information booklet. Every effort will be made to notify parents/guardians of the assignment decision in May 27, 2022. Special education COSA requests for students receiving 15 or more hours of special education services will be decided after July 1.

      When Can I Apply?

    Montgomery County parents/guardians who wish to request a change in school assignment for their children from their home school may begin the process during transfer season, which is held from the first school day in February 2022 to the first school day in April 2022.

      Downcounty, Northeast, And Middle School Magnet Consortia Students

    For information about the Northeast Consortium, Downcounty Consortium or Middle School Magnet Consortium, contact the Division of Consortia Choice and Application Program Services (DCCAPS):



    Information Booklets Transfer Request Forms

    Change of School Assignment Information Booklet (919K PDF) includes Form 335-45, Request for a Student Transfer from the Home School

    Folleto de información sobre el cambio de escuela asignada (1M PDF) incluye Formulario 335-45, Solicitud de cambio de asignación de escuela

    Other languages: 中文 | français | tiếng Việt | 한국어 | አማርኛ | Portuguese

    More Information

    Parents can contact the principal of their home school. Principal names and school telephone numbers are in the Schoolodex.

    Questions regarding your COSA status Office Number 240-740-5620

    Questions regarding denied COSA applications: contact the Appeals and Transfers Office - 240-740-4130

    Parents who are English Language Learners and Parents of International Students

    International students and parents who require assistance should call 301-309-MCPS (6277).

    Telephone operators who speak English and Spanish are available Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

    Parents who speak languages other than English or Spanish can also call 301-309-MCPS (6277) and identify their language. Their questions will be answered through a telephone interpreter.

    Related Links

    Policy JEE, Student Transfers (12K PDF)

    How To Enroll Your Child

    Staff Directory