LEAD! Scholars Program
About LEAD!: LEAD! Home | Philosophy and Setting | The Course of Study |
Sample Schedules | Admission Process | Recognition and Benefits | LEAD! Info Sheet
LEAD! Activities/Events: Community Involvement
The Course Of Study
- Studies of Chinese, French, Italian, Latin or Spanish including an Advanced Placement® (AP®) course in that language
- Studies in a second world language through the second year
- In addition, at least three further full-year courses chosen from among the following:
First-world-language studies (currently for French and Spanish ONLY) A course in the first world language beyond AP® i.e. the second Spanish AP® or French 6 Second-world-language studies A course or courses in the second world language beyond the second year Third-world-language studies A year or two or more of a third world language AP® international studies A MAXIMUM of two of the following courses
AP® Art History
AP® Comparative Government
AP® European History
AP® Human Geography
AP® World History
- AP® exams must be completed for all AP® courses used to fulfill LEAD! Program requirements.
- The student must earn a semester grade of at least a B in all courses used toward fulfilling the LEAD! Program requirements.
- It is preferred that participation be declared by the end of 9th grade.
Major Project Requirement:
Completion of a major project (to be proposed by the spring of the student's junior year and approved by the World Language Department), which might be, for example,
- a community service internship that makes use of the student's communicative skills;
- a creative project, which could include translation;
- service as a "Designated Hitter" in a World language class; or
- a project based on a student's summer stay and studies abroad.
|SAMPLE SCHEDULE #1|
|9th grade||First World Language 4 (for instance, French, Italian, or Spanish)|
|SAMPLE SCHEDULE #2|
|9th grade||First World Language 2 (for instance, Chinese or Latin)|