Welcome/Bienvenidos to the Whitman Student Service Learning Page!
ALL students must earn 75-SSL hours to graduate. Instead of reducing the requirement for select students as was reflected in OASIS, Synergy pro-rates the requirement by adding a waiver that increases a student’s total number of SSL hours earned and gets the student closer to the 75-hour mark. Students who earn 240 SSL hours or more by April 1, 2022, will receive a Certificate of Meritorious Service Award as well as a tassel on graduation day.
MCPS still allows virtual volunteer opportunities as well as in-person opportunities. MCPS has provided a list of pre-approved virtual/in-person volunteer opportunities at the Montgomery County Volunteer Center. If a student finds a non-profit organization that is not on the MCPS pre-approved list, they can email me the SSL Request Form (560-50) before participating in the activity. Once it has been reviewed, it will be approved as long as it meets the MCPS guidelines for an appropriate volunteer activity. At the completion of the requested activity, students will then email me a completed SSL Verification Form 560-51.
SSL Volunteer Opportunities:
School Based Opportunities:
I have created a Walt Whitman High School: School-Based SSL Opportunity Document that includes information about upcoming opportunities for the months of April and May.
Here is the direct link:
Link to weekly updated SSL opportunities: ( https://mcpsmd.instructure.com/courses/145471/pages/ssl )
- Montgomery County Volunteer Center (Links to an external site.)
- Virtual Volunteer Opportunities (Links to an external site.)
- Small Things Matter (Links to an external site.)
- Global Peer Roundtable Discussion (Links to an external site.)
- SSL 2021: An Overview of The Program (Links to an external site.)
- How To View Your SSL Records (Links to an external site.)
- SSL Approval Form 560-50 (Links to an external site.)
- SSL Verification Form 560-51
Please submit completed SSL forms to Ms. Sachi Fernando in the main office.
Please ensure that the SSL Verification Form includes:
- Section 1, 2, 3 completed
- All appropriate signatures
- Student reflection portion