MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
Welcome/Bienvenidos to the Whitman Student Service Learning Page!
My name is Nathaly Lobo and I am the SSL Coordinator here at Walt Whitman High School. I am here to ensure that all students reach their 75-hour SSL graduation requirement and am available to offer resources and answer any questions along the way. I am also the sponsor for the Minority Scholars Program (MSP) and am passionate about working with minority students to help bridge the opportunity gap prevalent in our public school system.
If you are interested in being a part of MSP or have any questions regarding SSL, please contact me at:
SSL will be a graduation requirement for seniors in the 2020-2021 SY.
ALL students must now earn 75 SSL hours to graduate. Instead of reducing the requirement for select students as was reflected in OASIS, Synergy pro-rates the requirement by adding a waiver that increases a student’s total number of SSL hours earned and gets the student closer to that 75-hour mark.
This year, MCPS has allowed for virtual volunteer opportunities and COVID relief activities. MCPS has provided a list of pre-approved virtual/in-person volunteer opportunities at the Montgomery County Volunteer Center. If a student finds a non-profit organization that is not on the MCPS pre-approved list, they can email me the SSL Request Form 560-50 before participation in the activity. Once it has been reviewed, it will be approved as long as it meets the MCPS guidelines for an appropriate volunteer activity. At the completion of the requested activity, students will then email me a completed SSL Verification Form 560-51.
SSL Volunteer Opportunities:
- Montgomery County Volunteer Center (Links to an external site.)
- Virtual Volunteer Opportunities (Links to an external site.)
- Small Things Matter (Links to an external site.)
- Global Peer Roundtable Discussion (Links to an external site.)
- SSL 2020: An Overview of The Program (Links to an external site.)
- How To View Your SSL Records (Links to an external site.)
- SSL Approval Form 560-50 (Links to an external site.)
- SSL Verification Form 560-51
The link below will send you to a Google Form where you will enter the information from your SSL form. This will help me to keep track and file all SSL Forms as we are virtually learning.
The Google Form will also provide a section for you to upload your SSL Verification Form as a PDF document. Please do not skip this step!
Please ensure that the SSL Verification Form includes:
- Section 1, 2, 3 completed
- All appropriate signatures
- Student reflection portion