Drug and Alcohol Resources
Easy-to-Read Whitman/Pyle Drug and Alcohol Forum Q & A
If you missed the November 2014 or April 2014 forums, you will find all the Q & A information in the links below.
(PLEASE NOTE: some laws may have changed in the time since these events.)
Examining Your Own Drinking; Understanding Serving Sizes, Alcohol Content, etc.
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Binge Drinking Prevention Infographic
- Rethinking Drinking
- What counts as a "standard" drink?
- Drink Size Calculator
- How many drinks are in common containers?
- How much alcohol is in your drink? (Cocktail Content Calculator)
- Blood Alcohol Content Calculator (Cleveland Clinic)
- What are symptoms of an alcohol use disorder?
Information for Parents and Teens
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
http://getsmartaboutdrugs.com/ -and- http://www.justthinktwice.com/
- Hazelden Treatment Centers
- Montgomery County Alliance to Prevent Youth Substance Abuse
http://www.manyvoicessmartchoices.org/youth_voice/learn_more.html -and- http://www.manyvoicessmartchoices.org/parent_education/learn_more.html
- Montgomery County Department of Liquor Control, Keeping It Safe (KIS)
SAFEnet@montgomerycountymd.gov - Parents may sign up for the SAFEnet e-newsletter, addressing youth alcohol prevention.
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) - Publications searchable by audience, by drug, etc.
- The Partnership at Drugfree.org
- Recovery Village: Dangers of Alcohol Addiction Dangers of Alcohol Addiction
If you or your child is concerned about a Whitman student, you may submit an anonymous form to the School Assistance Program: Whitman Student Assistance Program (SAP)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration(SAMHSA)
Behavioral Health Treatment Facility Locator
- Suburban Hospital
- The Partnership at Drugfree.org
- Assessment and Treatment Recommendations/Referrals, Montgomery County
Information on Montgomery County's Screening and Assessment Services for Children and Adolescents (SASCA)
- Navigating the Teen Years: A Parent's Handbook for Raising Healthy Teens
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) Parenting Page
- Order a digital copy of MADD "Power of Parents" Handbook
- Family Checkup from the National Institute on Drug Abuse
- http://www.drugfree.org/the-parent-toolkit/ (Parent Toolkit)
- Maryland Good Samaritan Law, Effective October 1, 2014
- Maryland Host Responsibility Law
MONTGOMERY COUNTY WILL ISSUE AN UPDATED VERSION OF THIS FLIER IN FALL 2016, TO REFLECT NEW LAW WHICH GOES INTO EFFECT OCTOBER 1, 2016
Laws/consequences for adults who provide alcohol to minors, as well as potential insurance risks and legal liability for injuries, crashes, violence, etc. resulting from minors’ alcohol use.
- The Juvenile Justice System in Montgomery County
- Montgomery County Alcohol and Tobacco Laws
Detecting Drugs and Alcohol
Think a certain odor or a bag of "leaves" is sure to signal you if your teen is using marijuana? Think again. Think marijuana can't cause hallucinations, panic attacks or violent behavior? Think again. Read about a trend among local teens -- using e-cigarettes and "vaping" concentrated forms of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.
- Increase in Marijuana Vaping a Concern for Police (WTOP, December 2015)
- Va. Police Warn Parents of New Drug Trend Among Teens (WTOP, April 2016)
- Alcohol and Drug Use Indicators
- Places to Look for Drugs
- Year-Round Calendar of When Teens are Likely to Drink