- Ms. Shah, Department Chair
- Ms. Choppin, Spanish
- Mr. Muniz Rodriguez, Spanish
- Ms. K.Lee
- Mr. Saibou, French
- Click here for more information about the middle school world languages curriculum.
- World Languages Department Expectations
About the MCPS Department of World Languages
The goal of the Montgomery County Public Schools’ world languages program is to educate students in a language and culture in order to make them knowledgeable and active members of a global society. Students will learn to use world languages for meaningful communication in both spoken and written form. The world languages program emphasizes language as it is used in real-life situations that students are most likely to encounter. Through language study, students develop sensitivity to the cultural and linguistic heritage of other groups, understand their influence on American culture, and become prepared to participate in a society characterized by linguistic and cultural diversity.
- As the world moves towards a global community, it is increasingly important to be able to communicate in languages other than English.
- It is important to understand the perspectives of a culture that generate its patterns of behavior, ways of life, worldviews, and contributions.
- Proficiency in another language is a vehicle to gaining knowledge that can only be acquired through that language and its culture.
- The study of a second language enables students to develop insights into the nature of language and culture.
- Learning a second language enables an individual to participate in multilingual communities.