Media Center → Fourth Grade Learning Zone
Fourth Grade Learning Center
- Weekly Brain Teasers- Choose your grade level for weekly challenges; solutions are posted the following week, with archives of past puzzles. Students can submit answers directly.
- Elementary Math Problem of the Week- Printable problems for elementary math classes; you can submit your class answers online or wait for the solutions.
- Math Magic Challenges- Archives of Math Magic Challenges by grade level.
- Interactive Math Website- Impressive content and features are well organized and useful for both teachers and students.
- FunBrain Games-Test your skills at different levels. A great mind exercise.
- Math Mania- Clink on a book to see student-generated questions and book summaries!
- Mathematics Lessons that are Fun! Fun! Fun!- Advanced activities for Grades 3 -5.
- Prodigy - Math practice in game format.
- Front Row - Math and Reading practice.
Reading is Fun!
- Primary Links for Kids!!- MCPS Early Childhood Technology Literacy Project.
- Little Explorers Alphabet Learn the alphabet by exploring the web.
- Enchanted Learning- Picture Dictionary with Links
- Online Children's Stories-Stories available on the Internet to read.
- Children's Literature Authors and Illustrators- Web sites links to authors and illustrators.
- 700+ Great Sites- Amazing, Spectacular, Mysterious, Wonderful Web Sites for Kids.
- Cool Sites for Kids- READING AND WRITING, FACTS AND LEARNING, and JUST FOR FUN!
Earth Materials: Children investigate synthetic rocks and learn techniques for identifying characteristics. These skills and processes are used to investigate a variety of other minerals. Earth Materials was developed at the Lawrence Hall of Science as part of their Full Option Science System (FOSS) with support of a National Science Foundation grant. The unit is published by Encyclopaedia Britannica and has been enhanced by the Department of Academic Programs.
Earthquakes and Volcanoes Web Sites (via Ms. Carper):
- Earthquakes at FEMA
- Inside the Earth at Enchanted Learning
- Earthquakes for Kids
- A to Z Science Encycopledia-Earthquake
- Volcanoes at FEMA
- Volcano at Enchanted Learning
- Volcanoes Online
- Volcano World
- A to Z Science Encyclopedia-Volcano
Additional Web Sites:
- Earthquakes and Maryland This website offers an in depth look at earthquakes, what they are, how they form, etc. There are excellent visuals included (maps and such). There is a lot of background information included for teachers yet easy enough for students to read. Don't miss the Earthquakes in Maryland section of this web site!
- Earthquakes and Volcanoes Pathfinder
- VOLCANOES: TEACHING AND LEARNING
- Living Laboratory: Volcanoes
- Earth Materials & Native Americans(Lesson Plan)
- A Real Gem(Research Pathfinder)
- The Rainbow of Gems
- The Mineral Gallery
- The Mineral and Gemstone Kingdom
- Rocks, Sand and Soil
Ecosystems: Children construct, observe, discuss, and read about land and water ecosystems. They develop an awareness of living things and their basic needs. The unit concludes with a series of activities related to the Chesapeake Bay. Ecosystems was developed by the National Science Resources Center with support from the National Academy of Sciences and the Smithsonian Institution.
- EE Link, Environmental Education on the InternetThis web site offers a place to obtain information and ideas that help educators explore the environment and investigate current issues with students. Don't miss the Classroom Resources section where you will find awesome activities to support the ECO unit.
- Water pollutionThis is a science lesson that helps students understand water pollution and its potential effects on human and wildlife habitats.
- Chesapeake Bay Critters(Research Pathfinder)
- Wetlan##ds(Research Pathfinder)
- The Day They Left the Bay(Lesson Plan)
- History of the Bay -Native Americans(Lesson Plan)
- The Mathematics of Cartography
- EPA-Explorers Club
- EPA -Student Center
- Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection
- Chesapeake Bay Watershed Project - Resources
- Maryland Natural Resources
- Quick Facts(MD Sea Grant)
- Baltimore Aquarium
History of Maryland
Unit I: History of Maryland
- Native Americans Pathfinder
- Pathfinder: Native Americans: Shelters and Cultural Areas
- Lesson Plan: Visit a Colonial Village in Maryland
- Maryland Historical Society A ton of resources for teachers - tours, traveling trunks, guest speakers, historical reenactors, and slide packets are all available in a teacher friendly format
- The North Star: Tracing the Underground Railroad(Tony Cohen from Montgomery County) A very complete reference for teachers that includes many resources for studying the underground railroad.
- Maryland Historical Trust A vast collection of resources relating to the archeology and preservation of Maryland's historical sites
- Maryland's African-American Heritage Biographies, timelines, and quotations are all used to highlite the contributions of famous African-American Marylanders.
- Maryland State Archives Extensive reference and resource pages are complimented by a history of the state presented through the work of artists and craftspeople.
Unit II: Metropolitan Area
- Washinton Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Everything that you ever wanted to know about mass transit in DC.
- Montgomery Co Department of Public Works and Transportation Additional information on transportation in the region.
- Maps of the DC Area Maps of the entire Metropolitan area.
- Living in the District of Columbia(Washington Post) Information from The Post about living in the District.
- Montgomery County Government The official Montgomery County site.
- Living in Montgomery County (Washington Post) A guide to living in Montgomery County.
Unit III: Maryland Today
Pathfinders will help you find information on Internet and in the media center about your topic. Search as many places as necessary in order to gather information for your research.
- Maryland Counties PathfinderTask: To design a travel brochure to persuade tourists to select your county to visit!
- Student Sample Brochures
- Lesson Plan: Maryland Map Study
- Lesson Plan: Geographic Features of Maryland
- Lesson Plan: Maryland Counties -- Population Comparisons
- Lesson Plan: To Have or Have Not: Comparing Countries by Economic Indicators
- Maryland Resources The complete set of Maryland bookmarks..
- Kid's Page: State of Maryland Secretary of State's Resource page for kids. A wealth of state information.
- Maryland County Information
- Maryland Electronic Capital
- Maryland Online A constantly evolving site that currently features information on state legislators.
- Maryland Public Television A source for the information about Maryland that is featured on MPT.
- Electronic School Bus Productions MCPS TV's collection of videos featuring important locations in the State of Maryland.
Maps of Maryland:
- Digital Atlas of Washington, D.C.
- Chesapeake Bay Region Topographic Map
- Maryland Topographic Map
- Satellite Image of Maryland
- Maryland Map Stats
- Geographic Information on the Web
- K-5 Geography Tools Geography Web Sites Country Information
- Econ-o-mania:Wants & needs, goods & services, consumers & producers, and resources
Day 1: Wants and Needs
- Giftpaks-is a site featuring gourmet foods, sports collectibles, jewelry, and clothing for all occasions.
- The Mall of America- is the largest fully enclosed retail and entertainment complex in America.
Day 2: Goods and Services
Day 3: Production and Consumption
- The Lemonade Stand- Run a street-corner lemonade stand and to try to make some money doing it.
- The Crayola Factory- Learn the steps in how crayons and markers are produced.
Day 4: Resources
- The Fenwick Crab House Restaurant- The Rockin Resources menu.
- Pathfinder- Featuring Famous African Americans
- The Multicultural Holiday Calendar KidLink site organizes holidays by months, country, and name.
- Hispanic-American History Month Websites
- Discovering the Americas, Hispanic Heritage Month Activities
- MCPS Thanksgiving Websites
- MCPS Winter Holiday Websites
- Martin Luther King Holiday/Black History Month Websites
- President's Day Websites
- Earth Day Bookmarks