Culture of Respect Lesson
Culture of Respect PRIDE Lesson
Montgomery County Public Schools is committed to ensuring our students are equipped with the information needed to be able to recognize signs of bullying/cyber bullying, harassment (including sexual harassment), hate-bias incidents, hazing, intimidation, and student gender norms. An online student training lesson, entitled “Culture of Respect,” has been developed for students in grades 6 through 12. Students will participate in this online training on Tuesday, January 19, 2021.
This online training lesson provides critical information that will help students better recognize the signs of inappropriate behaviors, including the various ways to report alleged/concerning incidents. The training includes a student survey that will provide school leaders with valuable data to assess the current culture and climate of respect at their schools and determine potential next steps to plan for improvements. Students will earn two SSL hours to complete the training.
The objectives of the training module are for students to know and be able to:
- Review collective responsibilities in promoting a positive school culture and ensuring the physical, social, and emotional safety for all students in alignment with the MCPS Be Well 365 initiative.
- Define bullying, cyberbullying, harassment (including sexual harassment), hate-bias, hazing, intimidation, and student gender norms.
- Recognize signs of hazing, bullying, and harassment, including sexual harassment/assault.
- Identify reporting procedures to inform school administration of potential concerns and incidents.
- Analyze different scenarios and discuss possible consequences per the MCPS Student Code of Conduct.
- Complete a feedback questionnaire, including an activity to help school administration gauge the level of concern in each of the areas addressed in the training module.
The training should take approximately 30 minutes to complete and will be accessible to all students via their myMCPS Classroom homepage. All students will earn two (2) SSL hours at the conclusion of the training. The training will take place on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 during period 8. The deadline to complete this module is February 19th, 2021.
Parent Letter in English and Spanish: https://drive.google.com/file/d/138kAXW4B27Z_Z9a_aWdoqHdkmFSgjZgK/view?usp=sharing
Parent Demo Course Directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/139PSVqVSqgxOegVOYqq4EpOGtooKZ8TG/view?usp=sharing
If you have any questions regarding the Culture of Respect Lesson please reach out to Kimberly Johnson-Redder (Kimberly_Johnson-Redder@mcpsmd.org) or Marjorie Cohen (Marjorie_S_Cohen@mcpsmd.org)