Linkages to Learning @ Shriver ES
Linkages to Learning
Linkages to Learning is a school-based collaboration among Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS), the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), and private sector health and human service agencies in Montgomery County, Maryland. The program is designed to enable at-risk children and their families to improve adjustment to and performance in school, home and in the community. Parents work as partners with program staff to develop solutions to various challenges confronting their children.
From L to R: Ms. Subramaniam, Ms. Sulbaran, Ms. Prigal
To improve the well-being of children and their families through a collaborative delivery of school-based services that address the social, economic, health, and academic success of a child.
|Cheryl Mitchel - Jones, Program Director
Diana Barney, Director
Fax # 301.929.2919
Linkages to Learning Services
• Mental health assessment
• Individual child and family therapy
• Prevention and therapy groups
• Therapeutic recreation
Social Services and Case Management
• Family needs assessment
• Assistance obtaining clothes, furniture, food, housing, etc.
• Assistance with legal, employment, and immigration issues.
• Crisis intervention (utilities cut-off, evictions, domestic violence, etc.)
• Assistance accessing daycare, summer, and recreational programs.
• Assistance with school supplies
Educational Support Service
• Workshops and Classes for parents (Wellness, Nutrition, etc.)
• ESOL classes
• Parent Educational Group/Women's group
• Community Exchange Network (Backpacks, Food and Holiday assistance)
• After school programs (Homework club, Social Skills, etc.)
• Acculturation groups
Serves young ladies in the 4th and 5th grades with the goal of helping them to become healthy young women. The group dynamic fosters a mutual understanding and appreciation for one's own cultural background, self-esteem and self-worth, and identity.
Teachers and Staff, if you have a girl who might benefit from this program please send me her information. The program is going to start on October 10th from 3:30- 5:15 pm. The deadline to turn in all the names is by September 19th. We will only be accepting 25 girls.
* There will be no activity bus. Students must be picked up at 5:15pm
SMART & KIND Food Program
Kind Sacks (the Kids in Need Distributors) is a nonprofit organization that fights hunger in Montgomery County by providing food. We will be rolling out the KIND program starting in September 2016. The first delivery will be on September 15th. It will be only for the children who participated in the program last year. Inside the bags, there is a hygiene kit.
Smart Sacks is a program that gives a sack full of food to elementary school children who would benefit from extra food for the weekend when there is no school lunch or breakfast. The first delivery will be on September 22nd.
Inside the bag, there is permission slip. The students will have a week to turn in the permission slip. If the permission slip is not turned in students will be removed from the program, which will allow other students to participate in this program.