Welcome to the Sargent Shriver ES Media Center
|Mrs. Kristin Spenser, Media Specialist||Ms. Etel Martinez, Media Assistant|
Media Center Team
Mrs. Spenser - Kristin_J_Spenser@mcpsmd.org
Ms. Martinez - email@example.com
Sargent Shriver Media Center Mission is to offer students equal opportunity with multiple formats of reading, offer engaging lessons practicing collaboration with teachers and strive to prepare future-ready information literate readers. Maintain a diverse, equitable, and accessible collection for students of all cultures as well as the entire school community.
Our Vision is to prepare students to be engaged, critical thinkers as well as educate them to become effective information users and well-rounded, independent readers. Geared towards creating in our students a love for reading and to become knowledgeable researchers. Dedicated to providing everyone equitable access of information.
- Loan Period & Limits
The loan period for students is two weeks. Books can be renewed, but they must be present at the time of renewal. Students in Kindergarten are allowed one book. Students in 1st and 2nd grade are allowed two books. Students in 3rd - 5th grades may take up to 3 books. Students are encouraged to select books that are of interest to them and are an appropriate reading level. Students in all grades are encouraged to visit the Media Center to exchange books between regularly scheduled class visits.
- Overdue Books
Students may only check out books when others have been returned.
- Lost and Damaged Books
Minor damages like small tears or pen or pencil marks often can be repaired in the media center. Books beyond repair, or those damaged by food or liquid, can no longer be circulated and a replacement copy must be purchased. In addition a replacement copy must be purchased for lost books. Students are responsible and parents will be notified as to the cost of the replacement copy.
- Media Lessons - K-5th grade have a fixed schedule on an every other week basis (Their class will be assigned a weekday on either A Week or B Week). Library-oriented, digital literacy lessons, research skills, and writing projects will all be a part of the Media lessons each visit. There is open book exchange for all grades.
Choose to access the Destiny Discover catalog:
Digital Citizenship --> Common Sense Curriculum
- Common Sense Education - an MCPS approved website for rating movies & tv shows, apps, and games. As well as offering an excellent Digital Citizenship curriculum in English and Spanish. RESOURCES ABOUT ONLINE PRIVACY IN ENGLISH
- Este sitio en el web es para toda la familia. Tiene excelente clases de ciudadania digital en ingles y espanol. RECURSOS EN ESPAÑOL
GOOGLE custom based safe Search Engines for elementary students:
MAGAZINE AND NEWSPAPER WEBSITES
- GALE In context: elementary
- SAILOR (Project with Maryland Public Library Community)
- Montgomery Public Library Database Resource
Fill out the form to request a specific book for the SSES Media Center.