- Destiny Catalog
- Mission and Vision
- Circulation and Lessons
- Online Resources
- Online Safety
- Common Sense Education
- Favorite Authors
- Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Award
- Book Request Form
Welcome to the Sargent Shriver ES Media Center
|Mrs. de Leon, Media Specialist||Ms. Wiggins, Media Assistant|
Media Center Team
Mrs. De León - Johanna_DeLeon@mcpsmd.org
Ms. Wiggins - Mary_E_Wiggins@mcpsmd.org
Media Center Information
Use our online databases/Utilice las bases de datos en linea aqui -- passwords are on DESTINY DISCOVER VIRTUAL CATALOG. On our catalog you have eBooks, Collections and Learning Links to choose from. Oprima AQUI para accederlo.
Sargent Shriver Virtual Media Center myMCPS Classroom is under your Media Center button are located on your teacher´s homeroom pages
- Common Sense Education - an MCPS approved website for rating movies & tv shows, apps, and games. As well as offering an excellent Digital Citizenship curriculum in English and Spanish.
- Este sitio en el web es para toda la familia. Tiene excelente clases de ciudadania digital en ingles y espanol.
Anti-Racist e-Books and Audiobooks Available for MCPS Students/Staff to Borrow Without Wait Time
As part of its ongoing commitment to equity and excellence, Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) students and staff can access anti-racist e-books and audiobooks through the Sora app, MCPS’s digital eBook and audiobook platform from OverDrive, without any wait time until September.
INTERNET SEARCH ENGINES & WEBSITES
GOOGLE custom based safe Search Engines for elementary students:
MAGAZINE AND NEWSPAPER WEBSITES
- GALE In context: elementary
- SAILOR (Project with Maryland Public Library Community)
- Montgomery Public Library Database Resource
- Kindergarten Learning Games - ABCya
- First Grade Learning Games - ABCya
- Second Grade Learning Games - ABCya
- Third Grade Learning Games - ABCya
- Fourth Grade Learning Games - ABCya
- Fifth Grade Learning Games - ABCya
Sargent Shriver Media Center Mission is to offer students equal opportunity with multiple formats of reading, offer engaging lessons practicing collaboration with teachers and strive to prepare future ready information literate readers. Maintain a diverse, equitable and accessible collection for students of all cultures as well as the entire school community.
Our Vision is to prepare students to be engaged, critical thinkers as well as educate them to become effective information users and well-rounded, independent readers. Geared towards creating in our students a love for reading and to become knowledgeable researchers. Dedicated to providing everyone equitable access of information.
-----This will be when we go back to the building-----
- Loan Period & Limits
The loan period for students is two weeks. Books can be renewed, but they must be present at the time of renewal. Students in Kindergarten are allowed one book. Students in 1st and 2nd grade are allowed two books. Students in 3rd - 5th grades may take up to 3 books. Students are encouraged to select books that are of interest to them and are an appropriate reading level. Students in all grades are encouraged to visit the Media Center to exchange books between regularly scheduled class visits.
- Overdue Books
Students may only check out books when others have been returned.
- Lost and Damaged Books
Minor damages like small tears or pen or pencil marks often can be repaired in the media center. Books beyond repair, or those damaged by food or liquid, can no longer be circulated and a replacement copy must be purchased. In addition a replacement copy must be purchased for lost books. Students are responsible and parents will be notified as to the cost of the replacement copy.
- Media Lessons - K-5th grade have a flexible and fixed schedule on an every other week basis. Library-oriented, digital literacy lessons and research skills are taught to these grades. There is open book exchange for all grades.
Family Wednesday -- when we return to the building/cuando regresemos al edificio
Every Wednesday, the Sargent Shriver E. S. Media Center is open for families to come and borrow books and read with their children. Mrs. de León is available to assist with book selection from 3:45 until 4:15 pm.
Choose to access the Destiny Discover catalog:
Fill out the form to request a specific book for the SSES Media Center.