Student Service Learning
If you have any questions about the SSL program, please email Mr. Sartori or the MCPS SSL office at SSL@mcpsmd.org. Thank you!
Mr. William Sartori
- MCPS SSL program overview
- SSL Hub for students and families
- 2023 Summer MCPS SSL Information
- All opportunities (including in person)
- Virtual/remote opportunities
- Tips on how to search for opportunities
- MCPS SSL guidelines for virtual/remote service
- SSL activity verification forms
- Pre-approval for service form
- How to access your SSL records in ParentVUE
Middle school and high school students should continue earning SSL hours towards their SSL graduation requirement by engaging in SSL opportunities during the 2022-2023 school year and over the summer, including traditional in-person opportunities and select virtual/remote opportunities that follow the guidelines posted on the MCPS SSL webpage (www.mcps-ssl.org).
Systemwide Documentation and Award Timelines
|SYSTEMWIDE STUDENT DOCUMENTATION TIMELINE|
|Time Frame of Service||Documentation Due Date|
|Service completed during the summer||September 29, 2023|
|Service completed during the summer and 1st semester||January 5, 2024|
|Service completed during the summer, 1st semester, and 2nd semester||May 31, 2024*|
|**All SSL Forms for service completed after June 1, 2023, through the end of the 2023-2024 school year, are REQUIRED to be submitted to the school SSL Coordinator no later than May 31, 2024|
|SYSTEMWIDE SSL AWARD TIMELINE|
|Award||Documentation Due Date|
|Documentation that qualifies seniors for Certificates of Meritorious Service||April 5, 2024*|
|Documentation that qualifies middle school students for the Superintendent’s SSL Award. This award is given to students who meet the 75 hour graduation requirement during middle school and is only awarded once.||April 5, 202|
Any high school senior who has submitted documentation to show the completion of 240 SSL hours or more by April 5th 2024, will earn the Certificate of Meritorious Service along with a purple tassel for graduation. Any middle school student who has submitted documentation to show the completion of the 75-hour SSL graduation requirement (for the first time in middle school) by March 30, 2024, will receive the Superintendent’s SSL Award.
Student Service Learning (SSL) activites are intended to address a recognized need in the community and provide a learning experience for students. SSL is required by the Maryland State Department of Education for graduation. Hours are earned through upaid service with non-profit organizations, government agencies, school clubs, and through specific school courses. There are only a few opportunities working directly with the school.
SSL hours can be earned beginning in the summer after grade 5. Students should aim to finish earning all their hours by the end of the first semester of their senior year to avoid potential problems at graduation. Students should also consider trying to earn most of their hours before the fall of their junior year when coursework becomes heavy.
We’ve got you covered!
Most shifts are about 3 hours; you can sign up for multiple shifts!
Volunteers are needed
Friday, June 2, 2023: 12:00pm - 8:00pm Saturday, June 3, 2023: 7:00am - 7:00pm Sunday, June 4, 2023: 8:00am - 6:00pm Monday, June 5, 2023: 2:00pm - 5:00pm
Choose from these areas to volunteer:
Admissions Community Stage Garden Club Kid's Activities, Check-In Kid's Activities, Games Main Stage Mascot Strawberry, Ice, Trash Strawberry Capper Ticket Booth Volunteer Check-In
Questions: email email@example.com
Direct site: https://airtable.com/shrJq13bqRWoCv6MR
CHOOSE RESPECT VIDEO CONTEST
Vote for your favorite 2022 video from the top 5 this year! Watch the videos below and go to https://bit.ly/videocontest22 to vote. Happy viewing!
MCPS has partnered with PeaceJam Mid-Atlantic to provide an application-only leadership development and service-oriented program for high school students across the district! This program is designed to create young leaders committed to positive change in themselves, their communities, and the world through the inspiration of 14 Nobel Peace Laureates who pass on the spirit, skills, and wisdom they embody. Learn more about the program here.
Building a Culture of Kindness With a Day of Service
March 27th from 9-1 join up for a SHS spring clean up. Be a part of the team to keep our environment clean for the spring season. We will meet by the back gym. SSL forms will be available to complete, and hand in, on site.
- MCPS Mental Health Awareness Week - November 8-13, 2021 - Middle school and high school students will have opportunities to earn up to 11 SSL hours total during this year’s MCPS Mental Health Awareness Week! Live virtual events will take place on Tuesday, 10/9, Thursday, 10/11, and Saturday, 10/13 -- each of these three events will serve as 2-hour SSL opportunities for students! In addition, students may also earn up to 5 SSL hours for viewing videos tagged as SSL and participating in follow-up advocacy action throughout the week! To view the full schedule and learn more about the SSL opportunities offered, please visit https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/mental-health/fair/index.aspx
- Show Us Your Hope - Deadline: November 19, 2021 - MCPS is seeking students interested in creating a video, presentation, artwork, poetry, song, music, and other representations of hope from their culture, heritage, family background, and/or identity to include in our upcoming “Celebrating Our Voices of Hope” virtual event. Successful completion and submission of the Show Us Your Hope plan by November 19, 2021, will earn students 10 SSL hours. Interested students may view additional information at https://bit.ly/3uZWJ81.