Overview of Resources
The College & Career Center has many resources to help students develop their career plans and goals.
- Conference: student and/or parent
- Assessments: skills, aptitudes, interests
- Information searches: computer databases, books, files
- Practical Experience: volunteering, internships, shadowing, jobs
- Post-secondary plans: Apprenticeships, Vocational/technical/business schools
- 2-year schools: certificate programs, associate's degrees, transfer plans
- 4-year schools: colleges and universities, military academies
- Military: all services and Maryland National Guard
- Workforce: part time/full time
- Career Day
MCPS CTE Career Pathways - Comprehensive information regarding the eleven career clusters and their corresponding College Tech Prep career pathway programs and articulation agreements.
Job Bulletin Board - Information on part-time jobs and summer jobs is posted on a job board in the Career Center. Some full-time jobs are listed in the late spring for non-college bound seniors.
WorkSource Montgomery Young Adult Opportunity Program:
- Free Job Training
- Free Auto Mechanics Training
- Free Credential Training in Health Care, Construction, Food Service, Microsoft, Retail
Federal Government Employee Testing - Students interested in full-time employment with the Federal Government should call the Federal Job Information Center Nationwide Access at (912) 757-3000. This office will provide information on available jobs with the Federal Government as well as information on the clerical walk-in test. Students can talk with a job information specialist by calling this same number. The U.S. Government's official web site for jobs and employment information provided by the United States Office of Personnel Management is usajobs.opm.gov. For employment opportunities at NIH, call (301) 496-2403.
Maryland State Employment - State Merit Systems tests are scheduled at various times during the year and are announced through use of newspaper ads and other recruiting activities. When a test is announced, applicants should file as directed. For information about employment with the State of Maryland, call (410) 767-4850. Check the Maryland Government's official website for jobs and employment information.
College & Career Center Software
Choices (by the Bridges company):
Choices Explorer (CX Online) is an online education and career exploration system that provides extensive libraries of education, career and recreation articles in an interactive magazine-style format. Choices Planner is an online career information system helps students build plans as they compare, connect and choose from a vast network of work and education options. In Zones, hundreds of occupations are arranged by career cluster. Career Finder is a quick and easy self-assessment of interests and skills. Colorful graphics compare student’s self-ratings of skills and interests to suggested occupations. Career Research Tool guides students through Skills, Values, Interest and Personality Inventories to generate career research leads. Each suggested career can be explored in detail, and there are web links to professional associations, colleges that offer the required courses, and related articles. Career exploration may be accessed both at school and at home on the Internet. Check with the College & Career Center for access ID and password.
- medical assistant careers - about, schools, scholarships
- medical assistant degrees - types, career guide
- radiology schools - radiologic tech careers
- pharmacy technician careers - find schools by state
- nursing programs online - types of degrees and reviews
- bewhatiwanttobe - exciting careers
- edu-directory is a directory of Continuing Education, Vocational Schools, and Trade Colleges.
- InsideCareer- everything about careers, from the real world
- Federal Jobs Network - jobs & scholarships in government
- Montgomery County High School Medical Career & Fire Science Program - for students interested in a firefighter or emergency medical service career
- monster.com is not only a great job finding resource but has a search function that allows you to find career fairs in your area.
- irs.gov - has tax information for students.