Boundary Study and High School Programming Options
Did you know?
Seneca Valley High School is opening a larger school in the 2020-2021 school year to alleviate overcrowding at Clarksburg and Northwest high schools.
More students means more options.
A new facility means a multitude of high-demand pathways that give students an early edge in preparing for life after high school, while also maintaining the identity of the Seneca Valley experience through the arts, extra-curricular programs, athletics, and its diverse, inclusive culture. The new state of the art high school will ensure that all 2,600+ students have access to courses and programs that provide the academic knowledge to be prepared for college, but also the skills and experiences to gain a competitive edge in today’s economy.
All of the programs currently at Seneca Valley--including the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, Advanced Placement classes, Project Lead the Way, Montgomery College Institute, NJROTC, Automotive Technologies, Healthcare Professions, IT Networking, and all other current programs--will remain. Additionally, several new high-demand programs have been planned as part of the new facility. New programs include the addition of the IB Middle Years Program (subject to authorization), Cybersecurity, Construction and Architecture, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Law Enforcement, and more.
More Students, More Choice
- More sections and course offerings as a result of increased enrollment and staffing, some programs like IB projected to double in size
- Extensive rigorous academic programming, including Advanced Placement courses and three International Baccalaureate programs
- Career readiness programs in high-demand fields, including information technology and cybersecurity, healthcare, engineering, construction management, and hospitality and tourism management. These programs provide students with opportunities to earn industry-recognized certifications and college credit and may be completed in conjunction with IB programs.
- Expansion of Seneca Valley popular elective programs, including those in theater, music and arts.
- New application programs will allow students from a wider region outside of Seneca Valley’s boundaries to apply to one of five select programs: Construction and Architecture, Healthcare Professions, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Information Technology and Cybersecurity, and Project Lead the Way Engineering. Students from the following clusters will be eligible to apply: Clarksburg, Damascus, Gaithersburg, Magruder, Northwest, Poolesville, Quince Orchard and Watkins Mill.
- More students will attend Seneca Valley following the results of a Clarksburg, Northwest and Seneca Valley high school cluster boundary study.
The Board of Education will make a decision about boundaries in late November 2019. Due to the overlapping timeline, all students interested in Seneca Valley’s application-based programs should apply by Nov. 1, regardless of whether they are in or out of the school’s current boundaries.
Learn more about the boundary study.
NEW Application Career Readiness Programs
- NEW Construction Management and Architecture*
- Construction Management
- Foundations of Building and Construction Technology
- Construction Electricity
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning
- Principles of Architecture and CAD Technology
- Healthcare Professions
- NEW Hospitality and Tourism Management*
- NEW Information Technology and Cybersecurity*
- IT Networking Academy (Cisco)
- NAF Academy of Information Technology
- Computer Science/Code.org
- Cybersecurity Capstone
- NEW TBD IT pathways
- Project Lead the Way Engineering
IB and Montgomery College
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Program
- NEW International Baccalaureate Career-related Program (subject to authorization process)
- NEW International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (subject to authorization process)
- Montgomery College Institute
Local/Part-time Career Readiness Programs
- Automotive Technology*
- Early Childhood Development
- NEW Law Enforcement and Leadership
- Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (NJROTC)
- NEW Apprenticeship Maryland
- College and Career Readiness Research and Development (CCRD)
- NEW Career Readiness Education Academy (CREA)
Information about how to apply to high school school programs is available here.
- Oct. 4: High school program applications available
- Nov. 1: Deadline for Seneca Valley’s application-based programs
- Nov. 26: Board of Education will make boundary decision
- January 31: Invitations to application-based programs will be distributed
- February 21: Deadline to accept invitation to application-based programs