MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
Turnitin is a software program designed to detect digital plagiarism and, in turn, develop students’ writing skills. In addition to analyzing student papers for plagiarized content, Turnitin can be used for online grading, peer evaluations, and creating digital portfolios.
Turnitin detects plagiarism by comparing submitted papers to content available on the Internet (including many databases). For every paper submitted, Turnitin creates an Originality Report that identifies the sections of the paper that are plagiarized and their sources.
Instructions for Students:
- Go to http://www.turnitin.com.
- In the upper right hand corner of the screen, click on the link New User.
- Under New Students Start Here, click on the link Create a user profile.
- Click on the Student link.
- Enter the following information which will be provided by your teacher:
Turnitin account/class ID:
Turnitin join password:
- Enter your email address, which will become your username. If you do not have an email address, consider setting up a free Hotmail, gmail, or Yahoo account.
- Create and confirm your password.
- Select and answer a secret question (this is in case you forget your password).
- Enter your first and last name.
- Agree to the user agreement.
To access this account in the future, you will simply need your email address and the password you created.
Your Turnitin home page will list the class you have just enrolled in. To add classes in the future, simply click the link enroll in a class.
- Click on the link for the class in which you are you enrolled.
- Next, click the submit icon next to the name of the assignment.
- Using the pull down menu, specify whether you will upload your file or cut & paste it.
- Enter your name and the title of your paper.
- Either browse for the file you wish to upload or cut and paste your paper into the space available.
- Then click the submit button.
It usually takes less than 5 minutes to receive an Originality Report.
- From your Turnitin home page, click on the link for the class to which you submitted an assignment.
- In your portfolio, find the assignment that you submitted, and click on the colored box under the heading content.
Update User Information
Click the user info button at the top of the screen to update your personal information.