Parent Technical Support Email:
Advanced placement (AP) at Seneca Valley
Advanced Placement courses give students the chance to tackle college-level work while they’re still in high school – whether they’re learning online or in the classroom. And through taking AP Exams, students can earn college credit and placement. For more information about what advanced placement classes are currently run at SVHS, please speak with your teacher or counselor.
Taking AP classes can help students:
Build skills and confidence.
- AP students learn essential time management and study skills needed for college and career success.
- They dig deeper into subjects that interest them and learn to tap their creativity and their problem-solving skills to address course challenges.
Get into college.
- Students who take AP courses send a signal to colleges that they’re serious about their education and that they’re willing to challenge themselves with rigorous coursework. 
- 85% of selective colleges and universities report that a student’s AP experience favorably impacts admission decisions. 
Succeed in college.
- Research shows that students who receive a score of 3 or higher on AP Exams typically experience greater academic success in college and have higher graduation rates than their non-AP peers. 
Save time and money in college.
- Research shows that students who take AP courses and exams are much more likely than their peers to complete a college degree on time —which means they avoid paying for, for example, a fifth year of tuition.
- Most colleges and universities nationwide offer college credit, advanced placement, or both for qualifying AP Exam scores. This can mean:
- Fulfilling graduation requirements early
- Being able to skip introductory courses or required general-education courses
Advanced Placement Course Information
AP-Advanced Placement courses meet the College Board guidelines to accompany the AP examinations.
- A qualifying score on an AP exam may earn the student college credit or advanced standing in the subject in college. (ex. - Towson U.)
- AP courses include concepts and skills that help students prepare for the AP exams.
- Students will register for exams in the fall, the College Board is implementing exam fees for ordering late or canceling your exam.
- AP exams must be ordered no later than November 15.
- A $40 fee will apply for exams ordered after November 15 or canceled by March 1.