RHMS Reading & English Department
“Our days are a kaleidoscope. Every instant a change takes place...New harmonies, new contrasts, new combinations of every sort.” —Henry Ward Beecher
The goal of the Secondary English Language Arts program is to create literate, thoughtful communicators, capable of controlling language effectively as they negotiate an increasingly complex and information-rich world. Students encounter new academic expectations such as analyzing varied and complex texts, developing arguments, synthesizing information from multiple sources, examining different perspectives, and engaging in self-reflection. Students work to acquire specific skills and strategies in reading literature, reading informational text, writing, speaking and listening, and language.
This summer, all students will be participating in the countywide summer reading program. Students may read any text they choose including novels, newspapers, magazines, graphic novels, plays, poetry, and blogs. A key to motivating students to read is to allow them choice in the format and content of what they read.
After reading, students should write a reflection about the text they have read. A choice board is provided with a variety of reflection prompts, or students may create their own. In the fall, teachers will collect the reflections and use them to get to know their students. The Summer Reading Task will not be graded; instead, teachers will use it as a classroom community builder to help students get to know one another. Please encourage your child to participate.
- Summer Reading Task Guidelines English | Spanish
- Summer Reading Flyer
- Summer Reading Answer Sheet (to be turned into your English teacher the first week of school)
- Summer Reading Interactive Titles: Available until August 31st! Interactive online books in 10 different languages
Please contact Mrs. Rebecca Paul, English Content Specialist, with any questions: email@example.com.
- Online Newspapers & Magazines
- Online Services
- MCPS Secondary English Information
- MCPS English in Middle School
- MCPS Manuscript Form
- The Lexile Framework for English
- Wordly Wise
- The Perdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts & Math
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
--- Dr. Seuss
The goal of the Rocky Hill Middle School Reading Department is to empower every reader to employ strategies to be successful with challenging text. Reading instruction targets an area of identified need and is provided in addition to core instruction.
Resources & Links
- MCPS Secondary Literacy Instruction
- MCPS Reading Interventions
- RHMS Online Services & Student Resources (Link to Passwords)
- Core Literacy Practices
- Read&Write for Google
- Literacy Tips
- HMH Student Login