MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
- Searching for SSL Opportunities Online (using the MCPS site)
- How to Find MCPS SSL Opportunities Video (View in Chrome not IE)
- MCPS SSL Hours Information Page
- SSL PowerPoint
- Access to SSL Form
- An SSL flowchart: http://bit.ly/SSLFlowchart
- An interactive SSL flowchart: http://bit.ly/SSLLiveFlowchart
- MCVC search tips: http://bit.ly/SSLSearchTips
Important SSL Updates (2/8/21):
The required deadline for documentation that qualifies students for the Superintendent’s SSL Award (middle school students who earn 75 SSL hours) is April 9, 2021.
SSL Full Details are now available in Student/ParentVUE - parents and students can now see each of the detailed entry lines from their student's full SSL record. Updated directions are available at the following link: https://bit.ly/SSLonVUE
The deadline for students to complete the Culture of Respect Student Training Module has been extended to Friday, February 19, 2021. Central office will add 2 SSL hours to student records upon successful completion of the training - students DO NOT need to complete a form.
SSL September 2020 Updates
Check out the MCPS SSL webpage (www.mcps-ssl.org) for 4 new resources for SSL.
Virtual/Remote Service Guidelines: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/ssl/virtual.aspx
Nonprofit-Hosted SSL Opportunities: https://bit.ly/SSLOpportunities
Nonprofit-Hosted Virtual/Remote SSL Opportunities: https://bit.ly/VirtualSSL2020
- Service completed during the summer – recommended by the last Friday in September
- Service completed during the summer and 1st semester – recommended by the first Friday in January
- Service completed during the summer, 1st semester, and 2nd semester to be recognized for the Superintendent’s SSL Award – recommended by the first Friday in April
- Service completed during the summer, 1st semester, and 2nd semester – REQUIRED by the first Friday in June
Summer SSL Pre-Approval Requests
If you are looking to get pre-approval for service over the summer, follow the steps listed below:
- Fill out the Individual SSL Request Form (#560-50) found on the MCPS website under SSL.
- Complete the form, scan, and email it to email@example.com at least 2 weeks prior to your service.
- You can find more information on the MCPS SSL website or email Shella_B_Cherry@mcpsmd.org
- Check out the MCPS SSL webpage (www.mcps-ssl.org) for 3 new resources for SSL.
SMOB 101 Townhall – November 19, 2020 (6:00 - 7:15 PM)
The Montgomery County Regional SGA Special Elections Committee will host a SMOB 101 Townhall for students to learn about the Student Member of the Board position from previous SMOBs and SMOB finalists. Students will be able to participate by sharing questions live. Students may earn SSL hours for attending and participating in follow-up advocacy action.
- Students must register for this event to receive the direct Zoom webinar link: https://bit.ly/SMOB101
- Only students who register and participate in the live event will have the opportunity to complete the follow-up advocacy action to earn SSL hours
Mental Health Awareness Week
The SSL office has decided to extend the deadline for the Mental Health Awareness Week SSL Google form to 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, November 4, 2020. We have updated this deadline on the Mental Health Awareness Week webpage and the SSL Google form.
Students who wish to earn up to five (5) SSL hours for this opportunity should complete the following steps:
Visit the Mental Health Awareness Week website (https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/mental-health/fair/index.aspx).
Attend and participate in ALL sessions you are interested in for the week (up to 5 total sessions). Sessions that are eligible for SSL hours have been marked with a purple “SSL” icon.
FINALLY, fully complete and submit the SSL form posted on the Mental Health Awareness Week website. Please only complete this form AFTER you have attended ALL sessions for which you would like to earn SSL hours. You will only earn SSL hours for the total number of sessions you indicate on the Google form.
Where's My Bench
Empowering the Ages, www.empoweringtheages.org, has a SSL opportunity for your students!
"Where's My Bench," an initiative of Empowering the Ages, is aimed at creating a map with the location of chairs and benches throughout the community.
The goal is to plot the locations of benches all throughout Montgomery County as a resource for older adults and other individuals who need frequent breaks when walking in their communities. This information will help individuals feel confident and capable to explore their neighborhoods.
We are looking for youth who are willing to explore their neighborhoods and the areas surrounding their schools. Afterwards, they will send us information on the location of the benches. We will provide an instruction sheet with exactly what we need and the format in which said information should be sent to us. Students will receive 1 SSL hour for each 6 bench locations provided.
If you are interested in sharing this opportunity with your students, please reply to this email at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information, questions or concerns.
MCPS SSL Guidelines
- The Girl Scout Council Of The Nation's Capital and The Boy Scouts Of America, National Capital Area Council are MCPS SSL approved organizations as indicated on the Montgomery County Volunteer Center website:
- MCPS students may earn SSL hours for the approved activities that are listed in this organization’s profile in the “SSL Not Recruiting” section at the bottom of the page. Only service activities that benefit the greater community are eligible for SSL hours. Any troop activities that exclusively benefits a troop (such as den/troop meetings, recognition events, team building activities, or supporting other local troops) are not eligible for SSL hours.
Wilson Wims ES SSL Opportunities
Wilson Wims ES uses a lot of SSL kids for their events! Sign up if you are interested in volunteering at their events using the link provided: http://www.wwespta.org/#!ssl-sign-up/lnz66