George B. Thomas Learning Academy
Director: Mrs. Khadija Barkley
Executive Director’s Office: Sligo Middle School 1401 Dennis Avenue Silver Spring, MD 20902
- Executive Director: Mrs. Khadija Barkley
- Assistant to the Executive Director: Mr. Lawrence D. Cross
- Marketing & Fundraising Specialist: Ms. Jan E. Chapman
- Technology Specialist & Senior Instructor: Mr. Hula C. Edmnds
The primary mission of the Saturday School Program is to enhance and accelerate mastery of academics, especially in reading, mathematics, and language arts. The Academy is a nonprofit tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. United Way Campaign Designation No. 8291
Centere closing policy
As a general rule, when Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) are closed on any Friday due to emergencies, holidays, or bad weather, the Academy Centers will be closed. The centers will also be closed when closing conditions occur late Friday or early Saturday. Center closings will be announced by their location on WTOP Radio 103.5 FM, 107.7 FM, 104.3 FM, 820 AM, AND online at www.wtopnews.com. Announcements about the closing of schools due to weather emergencies are also available on MCPS cable channel 34 and all news media outlets.
Please remember: It is necessary for students to attend school each saturday and to be on time in order to remain enrolled in the Saturday School program and to benefit from the weekly tutoring sessions. Three (3) unexcused absences may be cause for removal.
Rockville High School 2100 Baltimore Road, Rockville, MD 20851
Director Ms. Rene Shuler
Work phone: 301.517.8105
- Each Saturday, school for students begins promptly at 8:30 a.m. For teaching to begin in a timely manner, everyone should arrive on time.
- At each center, Saturday School will begin with a general assembly “Motivational Session” from 8:30–9:00 a.m. Tutors and students are required to attend. Parents are encouraged to attend.
- At each center (unless noted otherwise), tutoring ends at 11:00 a.m. For SAFETY purposes, parents must arrive on time to pick up their children.
- Free breakfast for students is offered in the cafeteria from 8:10-8:30 a.m.
- Parents are required to attend some special activities, such as parent workshops. Parents are also required to assist students in turning in their report cards on the dates indicated in this comprehensive calendar.
BEST WISHES FOR A GOOD AND SUCCESSFUL SCHOOL YEAR!!!!