For more detailed information regarding the RMHS Athletics Department, please go to www.RocketAthletics.org. This website includes important information about registering for sports each season, vaccination requirements, physical documents, etc.
Athletic Specialist: Mr. Daniel Whitlow II
Athletics Phone: (240) 740-6150
Athletics Fax: (301) 279-8428
Assistant Athletic Directors:
Tavares Cooper, Tanya Lee, John Boyd
Please email coaches for team specific questions regarding tryouts. Emails can be found at the following link: RHMS Coaching Staff
Information about Tryouts
Spring Sports Registration Begins January 23, 2023!
MCPS and Richard Montgomery High School are excited to announce that registration for spring sports will open on January 23rd! Below is information regarding the upcoming fall sports season, as well as the registration process. Additional information can be found on the MCPS Athletics website.
Check out this step by step video to help you with the registration process! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f3Yw0SYu6w
MCPS Athletics Registration
How to Register
Students must be registered by a parent through the MCPS ParentVue Portal.
Steps for Registering via ParentVue (DIRECTIONS AVAILABLE HERE).
- Login to MCPS ParentVue Portal
- Locate “Online Registration” in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- You should then see prompts to enter information for the “2022-2023 HS Athletics Registration – Fall”.
If you see something for “Annual Verification” or “Resume Annual Registration”, please click the “Start Over” button, logout and log back in, this should then allow you to access the Athletic Registration.
- The Athletics Registration screens will have you verify information in the system and then allow you to review and complete the Athletics Registration forms.
If any of the information appearing on the “Family” or “Parent/Guardian” information screens is incorrect, please contact the School Registrar to have this corrected before completing your registration.
- Make sure to hit SUBMIT upon completion. You will get a confirmation email for successful registration. If you do not get the email, go back and make sure to hit SUBMIT.
ParentVue Troubleshooting Information
If a parent is having trouble logging into the MCPS ParentVue Portal:
(MCPS also has a guide to ParentVue for parents here).
- If you have never activated your parent account:
Parents were sent activation information at the beginning of the school year, which included an Activation Key. If you still have this information, use it to activate your parent account. If you do not have the activation information, you can call Mr. Whitlow at (240) 740-6150 or the RMHS Main Office at (240) 740-6100 during normal office hours.
- Forgot your password? Click on the Forgot Password link on the ParentVue Portal.
- Forgot the email address you used to activate your account? Contact Mr. Whitlow, the main office, or the registrar for assistant. Be sure to include the student name, ID, and parent name in the email.
- Wrong address notification or your child is not linked to your account? Contact Erin_M_Stamets@mcpsmd.org or call the RMHS Main Office (240) 740-6100.
Additional MCPS Resources for help with ParentVUE:
- ParentVue Guide - A "Quick Guide to ParentVue for Athletics" for parents/guardians when registering their students for athletics.
- ParentVue Guide - A "How to Guide" for parents/guardians for Getting Started with ParentVUE.pdf
Students should complete their pre-participation physical (MCPS Form SR-8) so that the medical eligibility form (last two pages of SR-8) is ready for online submission or for submission to the coach prior to tryouts/practices. Physicals are valid for one calendar year. A partial list of Clinics that offer Sports Physicals within the Montgomery County area is available online. Physicals can be uploaded by the parent during the registration process. However, if a parent needs to submit a physical after the student has already been registered, first make an appointment to meet with the Athletics Specialist, Mr. Whitlow, and then bring in a copy of the completed pre-participation physical (MCPS Form SR-8) so that it can be manually entered into the system.
Please email coaches for team specific questions regarding tryouts. Emails can be found at the following link: RMHS Coaching Staff
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the timeline for the start of sports?'
Registration ususally opens one month before the start of tryouts for sports seasons. Tryouts/practices will begin on August 10, 2022 for fall sports; November 15, 2022 for winter sports; and March 1, 2023 for most spring sports. Tryouts are typically 2-5 days before teams are selected, depending on the number of student athletes who are trying out and can fluctuate from year to year.
If a student participated in Fall/Winter Sports or optional conditioning during the Spring season, does the student have to register for the Spring season?
Yes! Registration or participation in one season or for optional offseason workouts does not mean the student is registered for the upcoming Spring season. Any student who would like to participate in this upcoming Spring sports season must be registered by a parent using ParentVue as outlined above.
If a student registered or participated in athletics in the 2021-2022 school year, will the student need to register again for fall 2022-2023?
Yes! The registration is only for one sports season. Any student who would like to participate in this upcoming fall sports season must register using ParentVue as outlined above.
When should a parent register a student?
Registration opens on July 11, 2022 for fall sports. It is recommended that students register at least 48-72 hours prior to the first day of tryouts/practices in order for the registration to be processed.
Is there a schedule of games or practices posted yet?
The practice schedule will likely be Mondays through Fridays with some Saturday practices (depending on the sport). Coaches will provide student athletes with a practice schedule. All game/contest schedules are posted on our website under each sport’s schedule page.
Will there be tryouts, or are all students who register going to be on a roster?
This will depend on the sport and the number of student registrations. Tryout/practice information will be posted and communicated to students and parents, including whether there will be a tryout period to start the season. Similarly, information about where to report for tryouts and what the student needs to bring to tryouts will be communicated to parents and students at that time.
Can a student tryout for more than one sport in the same season?
Parents must declare only one sport per season during the registration process. However, if a student would like to change his/her sport prior to the start of tryouts, the parent must email RMHS Athletic Specialist, Daniel Whitlow, in advance of tryouts. Similarly, if a student tries out for a sport and does not make the team (or decides to change sports after the tryout date), please have the parent email the RMHS Athletic Specialst, Daniel Whitlow.
Will transportation be provided for tryouts and practices?
Unfortunately, transportation is not provided to and from tryouts and practices. Students are responsible for arranging their own transportation for tryouts and practices. Additionally, students may not remain on campus for extended periods of time before or after tryouts and practices due to supervision policies.
Can a student register after the start of tryouts?
The registration portal will remain open online after the start of tryouts. However, for sports that make cuts, there may not be an opportunity to participate once tryouts have been held at the start of the season. If your student would like to register after the first day of tryouts, it is recommended to reach out to the coach of the sport to see if there is still an opportunity to participate (see below for contact information).
How can I contact a coach if I have a question?
The Richard Montgomery coaching staff, as well as contact information can be found on our Athletic Department Staff Directory page.
Please visit the MCPS Athletics Main Page for updates regarding Athletics and Registration: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/athletics/
More Athletics Information
Message from MCPS Athletics – Hazing
Mike Curtis awards RM a Super Bowl 50 Golden Football. See the video below:
All REQUIRED forms can be accessed and filled out on the MCPS Athletics page: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/athletics/parent/forms.aspx.
Students must complete and submit the following forms prior to participating in practices or tryouts.
- Pre-participation Physical Evaluation Form (MCPS Form SR-8 with new MPSSAA COVID-19 supplemental questions) - The Pre-participation Physical Evaluation Form is valid for one year (for high school athletes) and two years (for middle school athletes) from the date of the exam, and covers participation for all sports within that time period. Students submit only the last page to the school/coach (Clearance Form). Schools keep the forms on file. A partial list of Clinics that offer Sports Physicals within the Montgomery County area is available online.
- Medical Card for Athletes (MCPS Form 560-30) -This form must be submitted for each sport in which the student wishes to participate.
- Student-Parent Participation Contract and Parent Permission Form (for High School) - The form includes information that student-athletes and parents are required to review, including reference to the Health/Safety section of the MCPS Athletics website. This form must be submitted for each sport in which the student wishes to participate.
Academic Eligibility - (PDF )
Transportation Permission Form - (PDF )
Transportation Permission Form must be completed (bring to try-outs)
Consent Form ImPact Baseline Concussion Testing - All student-athletes must undergo baseline testing at least once every two years. This form is required for taking a baseline test.
MSDE Concussion Awareness and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Parent/Student-Athlete Acknowledgement Statement - This form indicates that the parent and student-athlete have received information regarding concussions and sudden cardiac arrest.
MSDE Pre-participation Head Injury/Concussion Reporting Form for Extracurricular Activities - This form indicates whether the student has previously suffered a concussion.