The Ritchie Park staff and community will collaborate to foster a safe, inclusive, and nurturing environment that empowers lifelong learning to help reach potential for every student.
We are a dedicated staff of lifelong learners who work positively and collaboratively to plan and teach. We believe in effective communication with students, families, and colleagues to create an inclusive approach to instruction that meets students’ academic, cultural, and social emotional needs. We will continue to foster our students’ love of learning within a safe environment. Ritchie Park will be a school that Reaches Potential for Every Student.
A Little History -
Ritchie Park Then
Ritchie Park Elementary School (RPES) was built in 1965 and opened its doors to students in grades K-6 in September, 1966. The name “Ritchie Park” was the preliminary name given to the school site because of its proximity to the proposed Ritchie Parkway which was to be a circumferential road in the City of Rockville. Since the name provided a geographical location, Ritchie Park was officially approved by the Board of Education in 1966. The name “Ritchie” also carries political significance in the state of Maryland. Albert C. Ritchie served as its fifty-second governor from 1920 to 1936.
In 1996-97, Ritchie Park underwent a 4.2 million dollar modernization at which time 11,000 square feet of additional space was added along with global access technology and an upgraded gymnasium. The school was rededicated on May 3, 1998.
Ritchie Park Now - "One School: Many Cultures: One Community"
Ritchie Park currently houses 375 students, kindergarten through grade five. Students come from 28 countries and speak 26 different languages, making the school a very culturally rich community of learners.