Frequently Asked Questions

 What are the regular school hours?

9:25 a.m. to 3:50 p.m. for Grades Pre-K and K-5 

 What are the hours when it is an early release day?

9:25 a.m. - 1:20 p.m. for Pre-K and Kindergarten through Fifth Grade, 9:25 a.m. - 11:55 a.m. for PEP 5hr

What do I do if my child will be absent for the school day?

Call the school (240) 839-3201 between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. to report the child's name, teacher and reason for the absence.

 If I know my child will be absent in advance, what do I do?

Write the teacher a note the day before the absence.

 When my child returns to school after an absence, what do I do?

The child must return with a note explaining the absence. The dates and your signature are required. The note is to be given to the teacher. A note must explain every day of absence or the child will be marked with an unexcused absence. 

 How do I take my child out of school early?

Send a note with your child to state that you will pick them up early. When the time arrives, please report to the office and sign your child out in the early release binder. Your child will be called out of class to leave. 

 What do I do if my child is late for school?

The child is late if he/she arrives after 9:30 a.m. A parent must bring the child(ren) into the office and sign them in. 

 What do I do if my child wants to go home with a friend after school?

A note from the parent must be sent to the homeroom teacher in the morning concerning any change in the child's routine, such as taking a different bus home or staying after school for supervised activities. If there is any change in your child's dismissal plans, please contact the front office before 1:00 PM 

What time is breakfast served and how much does it cost?

Breakfast is served from 9:15 AM– 9:30 AM. and costs $1.30. Reduced breakfast is free. 

How much does lunch cost?

$2.55 for lunch including milk. Reduced lunch is $.40 

If my child forgets his/her lunch, what do I do?

You can bring his/her lunch into the office and it will be sent to your child OR your child may purchase a school lunch. 

Can I pay for lunch in advance?

All schools in Montgomery County use an automated system for purchasing meals and beverages called "My School Bucks". Click Here for more information. 

What do I do if the bus doesn't come to pick up my child?

Any problems with the bus, the bus stop or the driver should be reported to the Division of Transportation, Bus Depot number (see below)Also, please call the school to tell them the bus is late and the number of the bus. 

What are the Bus Routes for Rock Creek Forest Elementary?

Click Here for MORNING and AFTERNOON Bus Routes


If my child's bus is routinely late, who should I call to complain?

Call Bus Operations by Depot for Bus Route Number:
If Bus Route # starts with:
1xxx - Bethesda (301) 469-1140
3xxx - Randolph (301) 929-2260
4xxx - Shady Grove North (301) 926-4179
5xxx - Shady Grove South (301) 840-8150
6xxx - West Farm (301) 879-1062

How can I volunteer at the school?

All volunteers who regularly support schools and students and those who attend field trips are required to complete the MCPS online training module on recognizing, reporting, and preventing child abuse and neglect. The training is available online on the Child Abuse and Neglect webpage  

Please contact the PTA for volunteer and support opportunities. Click Here for PTA contact information


How do I contact my child's teacher if I have a question?

Parent-teacher conferences will be scheduled for each child during the first semester. At any other time, a parent can send a note or an email to the teacher. Click Here for teacher email addresses.You may also call the school office (240) 839-3201 to set up a conference on the phone or in person. The conference needs to be set up in advance with the teacher.