MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
QO Student Service Learning
Full Details are always available at the www.MontgomeryServes.org database or click on Calendar at www.MontgomeryServes.org for What's Happening NOW in our area. Check out the Student Union Calendar for the current month that lists lots of activities and if you're still not sure where to start, check out the Volunteer Center Website Hints for Student Volunteers or the bulletin board outside of room 143A for more information.
Easy and Local Service Organizations
- Asbury Methodist Village - Adopt a grandparent, assist in the dining room, assist residents in wheelchairs and walkers, and provide companionship. 301 Russell Ave. Gburg. Contact: Sharon Bennett; 301-216-4200
- Gaithersburg HELP – They need volunteer Spanish translators, food delivery, pantry workers, telephone food coordinators, drivers, prescription coordinators. Community Service Hours can be earned by packing groceries you can earn approximately 2.5 hours each time you volunteer. Gaithersburg area residents are also in need of food, medical prescriptions, and diapers/formula – Gaithersburg Help is located at 431 N. Frederick Ave, Suite 105, Gaithersburg. More information is available at www.gaithersburghelp.org
- Germantown HELP – They need you evenings and weekends, hours flexible. Spanish helpful, but not necessary. Contact: 301-482-1320, email contact is preferred, thanks! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hospice Caring - Offers practical and emotional support to any Montgomery County resident who is facing a life-limiting illness or is grieving the loss of a loved one. 518 South Frederick Avenue, Gburg. Contact: :Madeleine Carmichael (301) 869-4673.
- Interfaith Clothing Center - Sort clothes, supervise the clothing sales, work with children…there are lots of opportunities at Interfaith. 114 West Montgomery Avenue; Rockville, MD 20850 (301) 762-8682. Hours are Tuesday-Friday 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM and Saturday 9:00 AM - 2:30 PM
- KEEN Greater DC – Volunteer at Tilden Middle School helping on Sundays with sports and music programs for children, teens, and young adults with physical and developmental disabilities. You can get a snapshot of KEEN in this short video: https://youtu.be/
jblkzvTN22Uand a sense of the volunteer experience in this short video:https://youtu.be/gLe3FwCoe0M. You can see our complete list of volunteer events for December and the sign up links for each on our website: www.keengreaterdc.org .
- Martin Luther King Jr Day of Service - Make Martin Luther King Jr (MLK) Day on January 18, 2016 a Day ON and not a day off. Save the date to volunteer at Montgomery County's MLK Day of Service at locations throughout the county. There will be service projects for all ages that will make an impact to lives in your community. Be Ready to Serve! Stay Tuned for More Information!
- The NIST Research Library http://www.nist.gov/nvl/ is looking for two students for the Student Volunteer Program (SVP) at NIST; this is an unpaid position for the summer. Volunteers must be at least age 16, the positions are Library Aid and IT Technician, details are available on the Student Volunteer Positions flyer.
- Therapeutic Recreation Mainstream Companion/ Camp Assistant Training- Leadership Training for TR volunteers. This interactive training will help prepare volunteers to work with children with disabilities in our summer programs. The workshop will focus on leadership and communication skills as well as disability and sensitivity awareness. Student Service hours will be awarded for the training when you complete your volunteer service. Select one training session when you register.
- Therapeutic Recreation Camp Assistant- TR Camp Assistant Summer Volunteer. Are you a teen who's interested in teaching special education? Do you go to school with a student with a disability but didn't know how to approach him or her? Gain valuable experience by providing general assistance and support in a Therapeutic Recreation camp designed for children with physical, developmental, or learning disabilities. You must be at least 14 by the start of the program session.
- Open House Assistants: Saturday, Feb. 6, 8:30 am-4:30 pm, Silver Spring. Help out at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's all-day event featuring science- and weather-related interactive exhibits, hands-on activities, and guest presentations. Email Laura Gutierrez or call 301-427-8452.
- Indoor Play Day Volunteers: Sunday, Feb. 14, 12 noon-5 pm, Takoma Park. Set up, clean up, and help run activities for the City of Takoma Park's afternoon of fun indoor play for children. Email John Webster or call 301-891-7225.
- Prepare Meals for Group Homes: Provide meals for residents at any or all of these three group homes and shelters operated byInterfaith Works. Email Yvonne Esipila, call 301-315-1097, or complete the online volunteer application.
- Feed the Homeless Hot Meals: Donate fully prepared breakfast, lunch, or dinner for the residents of the HBCA, a men's emergency shelter in Rockville operated by the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless. Email Naira Mardukhayeva or call 301-917-6658.
- Provide Dinner for a Family Shelter: Prepare a well-balanced meal for 16 residents (six moms, two dads, and eight children) ofStepping Stones Shelter in Rockville. Email Sara Ritchie-Helmuth or call 301-251-0567.
- "Choose Respect" Student Video Developers: Create an original public service announcement (PSA) video promoting awareness of dating abuse and domestic violence as part of a competition coordinated through the MCPS Department of Student Services. Hurry! Deadline is Friday, Feb. 19. Email Kimberly Brooks.