Student Service Learning Deadlines:
SSL Important Links & Info
- SSL Coordinator - Ms. Kelly Miller - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Service Learning Hours Form
- Additional September 2023 SSL Opportunities
- Multilingual SSL Information
- Database of SSL Opportunities (Montgomeryserves.org)
- MCPS SSL Webpage
- Interactive Flowchart for SSL Process
What is Student Service Learning?
"Student Service Learning (SSL) involves the active participation of students in thoughtful service. By addressing local and/or global needs students learn about their communities and themselves. SSL is a graduation requirement in the state of Maryland. Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) students meet the SSL graduation requirements in connection with non-profit, tax exempt organizations (see exceptions to non-profit tax exempt status in Questions About SSL on the MCPS web site)."
- Learn about the SSL graduation requirement and how to meet it in MCPS by referring to the website: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/ssl/
- All SSL must be documented on MCPS Form 560-51, Student Service Learning Activity Verification and turned in the school-based SSL coordinator according to timelines.
- All summer SSL documentation is due to the school-based SSL coordinator no later than the last Friday in September.
- The MCPS SSL plan allows students to earn SSL hours in specific middle and high school courses, in school-sponsored clubs and organizations that have a service focus, and with approved, official nonprofit, tax exempt organizations in the community. Know the SSL guidelines and follow them!
- Summer SSL Opportunities must be pre-approved, details are available in the flyer.
All MCPS students must earn 75 SSL hours to graduate from high school. Middle school and high school students should continue earning SSL hours towards their SSL graduation requirement by engaging in SSL opportunities during the 2023-2024 school year, including traditional in-person opportunities and select virtual/remote opportunities that follow the amended guidelines posted on the MCPS SSL webpage (www.mcps-ssl.org).
Remember that SSL is a graduation requirement…but it is also an opportunity! Explore careers, learn new skills, expand understanding, and strengthen character. If you can make a difference… do it!
- Guidelines for SSL with Faith-based organizations
- Guidelines for SSL with Political Candidates and Campaigns
- SSL in the Community
- SSL in School Sponsored Activities
Contact the SSL coordinator for QOHS
Gaithersburg Student Union
The Student Union is a club for high school students. After school programs, SSL opportunities, field trips, admission to the Robertson Park Youth Center is included with your Student Union Membership! If you’re not a member, or need to renew, please complete the attached registration form and return it with membership fees to the Activity Center at Bohrer Park
Weekly meetings held on Wednesdays during lunch!
Don’t forget to check your calendar for other after school activities! These programs AND admission to the Robertson Park Youth Center FREE with your Student Union Membership! No registration for these activities is necessary (transportation not available).
Join us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/groups/Gburg.
Visit our website www.gaithersburgmd.gov/
Please refer to important information about the MCPS SSL program provided below:
SSL Hours Documentation
To view SSL forms and important due dates for the 2023-2024 school year, please click here.
Please note that all SSL forms for service completed during the summer of 2023 or the 2023-2024 school year should be submitted to the school’s SSL coordinator on a rolling basis by the recommended due date of September 29, 2023, but no later than the required deadline of May 31, 2024.
|The required deadline for all documentation that qualifies seniors for the Certificate of Meritorious Service and middle school students for the Superintendent’s SSL Award is April 5, 2024.
All SSL forms (MCPS Form 560-51: Student Service Learning Activity Verification form - https://bit.ly/SSLReflection