"What gets recognized gets valued." - Colleen Wilcox, Author and Teacher
Hello and Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year!
The Quince Orchard Parent, Teacher, Student Association (QOPTSA) looks forward to working with every family and staff member to make this an amazing year. If you haven’t yet joined the PTSA please fill out the attached membership form and send it in to the office.
If you have any questions or would like more information about your PTSA please send an email to QOPTSA.President@gmail.com. I look forward to seeing you at our next meeting on January 21st at 7 PM on the media center.
News and Events
- Join the PTSA Today
- Help Support Your Child's Educational Goals - Join the PTSA
- Make a Difference in the Lives of Our Students - Volunteer
- See the PowerPoint that was presented at Back to School Night
- Meetings will now be held in the QO Media Center at 7pm, on 1/21, 2/18, 3/17, 4/21, 5/19, and 6/9. Check emails from the PTSA for additional activities and events to be involved in.
- Reflections Program - Last year's competition was a huge success, see how QO students have done by checking out the Arts Awards page. Reflections was created by the National PTA to be an arts recognition and achievement program for students. The program provides opportunities for students to express themselves creatively and to receive positive recognition for original works of art inspired by a pre-selected theme, while increasing community awareness on the importance of the arts in education.
- Greg's Driving School has been providing driver's education to Montgomery County schools for over 15 years and is the preferred provider of the Quince Orchard PTSA. We provide the 36-hour Driver's Education program directly after school. Any student in Maryland who is 15 years of age or older is eligible to take the classroom portion, and once they are 15 years and 9 months of age they can take the behind-the-wheel part of the program. The program runs for ten (10) days, usually consecutive except for days that school is not in session. Students can sign up for classes at Quince Orchard by visiting www.gregsmd.com/QOHS. Parents may view our Online Parent Orientation to learn what to expect from the Greg's Driver Education Program and how to assist us in helping your new driver take this important step toward adulthood. As parents are part of the equation in shaping new drivers, your role is important in keeping them safe. Another useful resource is the free RoadReady app which has been approved by the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration. This app helps you record the 60 hours of home driving practice that is required of your student, an essential step in the student's progress through the Graduated Licensing System. The app is free and can be downloaded at www.roadreadyapp.com. A portion of the proceeds is donated by Greg's to the PTSA. We thank you for considering choosing Greg's!
- Help Raise Money Through Grocery Shopping - simply sign-up for Giant or Harris Teeter to donate to QOHS anytime you use your bonus or club card. Information and sign-up is online and easy!
These tutoring companies come highly recommended by students and parents in the QO Community. Each of the companies has sponsored the Q.O.H.S Academic Achievers Program that recognizes our hard working students:
- Greg's Driving School http://www.gregsmd.com/QOHS - they offer some great opportunities for our students.
- Membership in the National, State, and Local PTA's
- Voting rights at meetings
- Book Fair and College Fair
- New Initiatives
- Academic Achiever Assemblies
- Increase PTSA Membership 5%
- Partner with adminstration, staff, and students to focus on the importance of educational excellence.
- Build awareness of how the PTSA supports educational aspects of the school.
How to Stay Connected:
- Join the PTSA-Booster Club Google Group
- Review the QOHS Home Page weekly
- Attend Back to School Night
- Attend the Grade Level Parents Meetings during the year
- Attend PTSA meetings or join in on the new webinar connection
- Create an account and regularly check to see your student's grades, important class information, attendance, and teacher information through the new MCPS Portal and MCPS Classroom - details on the myMCPS Information Page.
- Visit the MCPS Website where you can sign up to receive emergency message announcements and monthly newsletters
President – Traci DiMartini
Vice President - TBA
Treasurer – Steve Lanham
Secretary - Kristen Johnson
Membership Chair – Rachel Potts
MCCPTA Delegate –
QO Cluster Representative - Paul Morrison
QO Cluster Coordinators - Rama Tanfirala
Please contact us with your ideas!
- To support and speak on behalf of children and youth in the schools, in the community, and before governmental agencies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children.
- To assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children.
- To encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools of this nation.
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and school relationships, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.