Students vs. Staff Basketball Game
Watch QO's very own students and staff face each other in basketball to raise money for QOHS Extension program on Wednesday, March 29th! Doors open at 6:30 PM and game starts at 7:00 PM. Admission is $2. Please email Ms. Rosie Justilien.
Spring Musical Anastasia!
QO Theatre is proud to present Anastasia! This musical follows Anya, a young woman on a journey to discover who she truly is. Anastasia will play on March 24th, 25th, 31st, and April 1st. Friday performances will begin at 7 PM, and Saturday performances will begin at 2 PM and 7 PM. Tickets are sold by the door for cash or check ONLY - no credit or debit cards. Tickets are sold to QO students for $8, adults for $12, and $10 for all others. Be sure not to miss this incredible opportunity to support arts at QO!
Women's History Month Activities
We are excited to celebrate Women's History Month with activities every Wednesday in the Main Lobby at lunch, wear purple Wednesdays, and a donation drive for the MoCo Family Justice Center in 1st period classes, please join us as we "Celebrate Women Who Tell Our Stories."
- March 29th - Looking to Our Future
- Weekly Callout from Mrs. Thomas on 3/126
- Wednesday, 3/29 - Staff vs. Students Basketball game at 7pm
- Friday, 3/31 - No School
- Friday, 3/31& Saturday, 4/1 - Spring Musical Anastasia final weekend - shows at 7pm on Friday and Saturday and 2pm on Saturday
- Activity Bus Drop-Off Locations
- College Visits - see the full list online and reach out to Ms. Briana Jones in the CCIC for more info.
- Saturday School Information - Flyers
- Students or Staff testing positive for COVID-19 can report using this electronic form or by calling the school.
Community Letter on 3/23/23
A community letter was distributed on Thurssday, 3/23 concerning the QOHS lunch policy. Beginning on Friday 3/24/23 we will not waver from implementation of this policy. Please review the information which outlines the policies and procedures for open lunch. Juniors and Seniors who do not have a student ID from the current school year will NOT be allowed to participate in open lunch, Freshmen and Sophomores are NOT allowed to participate.
Summer Rise Program
Summer RISE is an initiative led by the Montgomery County Public Schools Department of Partnerships in collaboration with businesses, nonprofits and government agencies to provide school year 2023-2024 rising juniors and seniors with an enriching career-based learning opportunity from June 26 to July 28, 2023. The program is free for students, details are available in this flyer in English or Spanish. Student registration will open at 8AM on Wednesday, February 1 and will close at 5PM on Tuesday, March 7, 2023 and can be accessed at www.bit.ly/SummerRISE2023. We ask that parents and guardians review the Parent/Guardian Summer RISE 2023 Student Agreement prior to your child’s submission and to assist while your child completes their registration.
Prom will be May 6th at Pinstripes in North Bethesda, MD, more details are available in the information link!
Summer Job Opportunities
Review the following links for more information on the job fair and other summer employment opportunities:
- Summer Job & Internship Fair
- City of Gaithersburg Summer Internship Registration Form
- Summer Camp CIT Information
MCPS TUTORING AT QUINCE ORCHARD
For additional support, a limited amount of QO staff members serve as MCPS tutors who help students with content recovery, IEP goals & preparation for upcoming learning in their classes. The best candidates for this program are those who are available after school for an hour 2-3 times a week (provided we have a tutor available). MCPS provides free online homework help through FEV and Tutor Me, platforms that run through Clever and have 24/7 access. Students can book virtual sessions with certified tutors with or without cameras to get their questions answered. Please contact Skyra Blanchard or Melissa Brown know if you have any questions.
Health Education Requirement Change
The Maryland State Board of Education recently changed its graduation requirement for health education. Students in the Class of 2025 and beyond must now earn one full credit for graduation; previously, they earned one half-credit. Again, this requirement begins with the Class of 2025. The change does not impact students in the Class of 2023 or 2024. Students will now take two separate semesters of Honors Health. Honors Health A is a prerequisite for enrolling in Honors Health B and cannot be taken back to back in one school year. Physical Education still remains one full credit. Honors Health Education B will NOT be offered centrally this coming Summer of 2023. We are still awaiting the completed online course from MSDE.
Sample options for Class of 2025- current 10th graders that completed Health A:
- Fall of 2023 or Spring 2024- Honors Health Education B ( 11th grade)
- Summer of 2024- Honors Health Education B
- Fall of 2024- Honors Health Education B ( 12th grade)
Sample options for Class of 2026- current 9th graders
- Summer of 2023- Online Honors Health A through MCPS
- Fall of 2023 or Spring 2024- Honors Health A (10th grade)
- Summer of 2024- Honors Health B offered through MCPS
- Fall of 2024 or Spring 2025- Honors Health B (11th grade)
- Summer of 2025- Honors Health B offered through MCPS
- Fall of 2025- Honors Health Education B (12th grade)
Cougar Cubs - Spring Semester
The Cougar Cubs Preschool is accepting applications for this February! Monday through Thursday 7:50 AM - 11:00 AM Child must be 4 years to enroll Tuition is only $300/semester For additional information visit our website: http://qocougarcubs.weebly.com E-mail: Lisa_S_Seid@mcpsmd.org Contact Phone #: 240-740-3575
Class of 2023 - Senior Info Slides
- Senior Slides from 12/8 - includes:
- Upcoming Important Dates and Deadlines
- Graduation Information (as we have it)
- VERY IMPORTANT - Google Form to complete from 12/8
- Senior fees: Senior fees include your cap and gown and other expenses related to graduation. You will be able to pay your senior fees online through Josten's website the current fee is $90, any student who does not pay before March 24th will be issued an obligation for the fee.
- Senior Portraits: Senior portrait makeups were December 7-9, call 1-800-736-4753 or schedule at schedule.prestigeportraits.com. Additional makeup dates will be available in November and December.
Yearbook - Early Bird Price
Pre-order your 2023 yearbook NOW to take advantage of the lowest prices of the year. The price of the yearbook is $100, but a limited number of books is available at three different price tiers starting at $85. Once the batch of $85 yearbooks is sold, the second batch will be offered at $90 per book, and the final batch will be offered at $95 per book. The promotional price available at the time of your order will be displayed when you log in to place your order at Jostens.com. This promotional pricing is only available for books sold online. ORDER TODAY to have the best chance of getting the best deal! https://tinyurl.com/ds75ads7
Athletic Event Info
Please be advised that there are new protocols and procedures in place at ALL Athletic events. Please read through the MCPS Athletics Safety Plan, read the highlighted specific protocols below, and watch this Public Service Announcement by Mrs. Thomas, Mr. Rabberman, and Mr. Flemming.
- Season Tickets can still be purchased, all online through GoFan.
- All tickets must be purchased online through GoFan, tickets must be on your digital device and redeemed by Athletic Department Staff at the entrance gate.
- No screenshots, images or already redeemed tickets will be accepted.
- Everyone age 11+ must purchase a ticket to attend and event.
- High School students must show Student ID along with their ticket.
- All Elementary and Middle School students MUST be accompanied and supervised by an Adult Chaperone during the entire event.
- NO Re-Entry into the game and NO Entry after Halftime
- NO Outside Food or Drink
- NO Backpacks allowed into the stadium for Football Events.
Students, Are you interested in pursuing a career in Cosmetology, Auto Mechanics, Health Professions, Carpentry, Graphic Design, Electrician, etc? Then check out these opportunities. Students can earn a certification in one of these particular career pathways, as they earn their High School Diploma. If you would like to visit the school, check out the following Open House Dates and Times - each school offers different programs, details can be found in this newsletter.
FREE English Language Learner Classes for MCPS Parents
In collaboration with MCPS, the Literacy Council of Montgomery County (LCMC) is offering free English language learner classes for MCPS parents. The classes will be held virtually and in person, and there will be options for all levels of English speakers. They are available to any MCPS parent for whom English is not their first language. Parents can complete this interest form to receive a placement test: https://mcpsweb.wufoo.com/forms/english-classes-for-mcps-parents/ This form is available in multiple languages. Parents with questions regarding the availability of classes and sign up process should contact Kevin Ralph from LCMC at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 240-665-0471.
FARMS - It's More than Just Free Meals
- Provide discounts on college applications, SAT, ACT & AP testing fees
- Help increase school funding
- Provide possible discounts on internet access
- Give discounts on ECA fees like athletics & band.
Apply online NOW at MySchoolApps.com (Translations available) Click here for an English video tutorial. Vea aquí un vídeo paso a paso en español sobre cómo completar la solicitud de FARMS.
Meal benefit eligibility from last school year will remain current only through the first 30 scheduled school days OR until a 2022-2023 application is processed. If you have any questions, please call 240-740-7400 or reach out to your school counselor.
QO Theatre Information & Updates
Follow this link for more information on all the exciting things QO Theatre has coming up and be sure to follow them on Twitter and Instagram @qohstheatre. Feel free to email Ms. Vogel with any questions email@example.com.
MCPS SSL Information
High school students should be continuously working towards earning SSL hours towards their SSL graduation requirements. Details including traditional in-person opportunities and select virtual/remote opportunities that follow the guidelines posted on the MCPS SSL webpage (www.mcps-ssl.org). If you have any questions about the SSL program please email our SSL coordinator, Ms. Tammy Shelhorse. There are many opportunities coming up with October Events and Election Day, please make sure that you are listening to the morning announcements and checking the daily slides for details.
You may have heard the term “Restorative Justice” or RJ. RJ is about managing relationships, communication, collaboration, conflict resolution, and community building. At Quince Orchard, we will be engaging students, staff, and parents in our efforts to build a stronger community to support our students in achieving excellence. Please use this QOHS Restorative Justice Video and Survey link to access a video detailing QOHS Restorative Justice and complete the survey with your feedback. Thanks for your participation!
Antiracist System Audit
We know that messages from MCPS often get lost and sometimes misconstrued. The website for the Antiracist Audit has been updated and below are some materials that can help provide some more insight and support for our community members about the audit and during the audit.