School Calendar Input - PART 2
MCPS has released Part 2 of their process of asking for input on the 2024-2025 school calendar. Please review the two options and provide feedback. There are also questions about the 2025-2026 school year calendar.
- Native American / American Indian Heritage Month is going on now.
- Callout from Ms. Thomas - Sent 11/26/23
- Monday, 11/27 - Winter Sports Caregiver Meeting @ 7pm
- Tuesday, 11/28 - Thursday, 11/30 - Spring Production Auditions
- Tuesday, 11/28 - Dine Out night at Bonefish Grill from 11am - 8:30pm, mention QO Boosters when ordering
- Wednesday, 11/29 - Native American Heritage Month Celebration @ lunch - Join SGA, Cougar Minds Matters, SAGA, MSP, BSU, LSU in the main lobby
- Friday, 12/1 - Spring Production Call Backs
- Thursday, 12/7 -
- Seal of Biliteracy Exam - details to sign-up below
- Caregivers Meeting for 2024-2025 Registration information for current 9th - 11th grade students.
- CollegeTracks and the College and Career Center are great resources for students and caregivers.
- College Visits are currently happening all week in the CCIC. There are even schools offering on the spot admissions, see the full list here.
Giving Tree 2023
It is that time of year again, the Giving Tree is "BACK"! We will continue using Sign-up Genius and again, this year due to the continuing shipping delays and limited availability of some items, we will only be collecting gift cards to allow families to purchase items that they are most in need of. A little history, fourteen years ago, QO started this event to give those in need within our own community a little brighter holiday season. The Giving Tree is traditionally a gift giving project where students and their families who would not have much of a holiday season have been selected and we hope that as a community we can provide each one of them with something special this holiday season. Each year we help over 50 of our own QO community members have a happier holiday season. Here is how it works:
- Community Members select a gift card from our Sign-Up Genius. We are looking for donations of the following types:
- $25 Amazon, Target, and Walmart Gift Cards - for Gifts
- $25 Giant, Aldi, and Safeway Gift Cards - to provide each family with a holiday meal
- We ask that gift cards are returned by Thursday, December 7th so that they can be organized and distributed to families with enough time for families to shop.
- When returning gift cards, please follow these guidelines:
- Drop-off at school - PREFERRED METHOD
- Place cards in an envelope or ziploc bag and label the envelope or bag with the Gift Code and your name or email address
- Deliver cards to Ms. Adams in:
- Room 123B before school everyday & at lunch every day except Thursday (yellow hallway)
- Room 128 during lunch on Thursdays
- Mail to school (please mail EARLY so they arrive by December 7th)
- Label all cards with the Gift Code and your name or email address
- Mail to: Colleen Adams, ℅ Quince Orchard High School, 15800 Quince Orchard Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20878
- Drop-off at school - PREFERRED METHOD
MCDOT Vision Zero Youth Ambassadors
Montgomery County’s Department of Transportation is seeking County high school students to serve as "Vision Zero Youth Ambassadors." The project-based learning program teaches teens leadership skills, the importance of roadway design, law enforcement, outreach and engagement techniques to address traffic safety needs in their community. Applications are being accepted through Friday, Dec. 15: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/DOT-pedsafety/VZYA/
The QOHS JUNTOS Latin Dance Team is looking for support to help raise funds for formal and informal performance costumes. Each team member has their own pop-up store and 50% of each purchase benefits this fundraiser. View pop-up stores here: https://popup.doublegood.com/s/wwb5a460
Seal of Biliteracy
Do you want to add the MD Seal of Biliteracy to your résumé to prove your skills to future employers, college and university admissions offices? Quince Orchard High School will be offering testing for JUNIORS (fee of $21) and SENIORS (no-cost) on December 7th, 2023. Testing is open to all Native and Heritage speakers of Languages Other than English and to all language learners (suggested for students in level 4 or higher). Ask Mr. Lynch or a World Languages teacher for more info! Click the link to register: https://bit.ly/SealRegisterMCPS24 Juniors can pay for their Seal of Biliteracy Test via this link:
Specific Class Info - 9th - 12th grade
- Freshman Welcome Letter
- SENIORS - Class of 2024 Information and Updates
- Link to Senior Fees Online Payment
- LAST Chance to get your Senior Portraits taken on 12/11 and 12/12. You must book this session through Legacy's website or call them at 716-512-6336.
- SENIOR PARENTS: Celebrate your senior’s accomplishments with a personalized message from you in their yearbook! Include photos and a message for your student in a keepsake they will treasure for years to come. Visit jostens.com or scan the QR code below to get started.
Athletic Event Info
Winter Sport Contests will be starting in December, please read through all the information below about policies and procedures for our events. And remember that ALL season tickets and single game tickets MUST be puchased online via GoFan. There are no cash purchases at the gate for events.
Please be advised that there are new protocols and procedures in place at ALL Athletic events. Please read through the MCPS Athletics Safety Plan, read the highlighted specific protocols below and watch this important video from the Student-Athlete Leadership Council.
- Season Tickets can still be purchased, all online through GoFan.
- All tickets must be purchased online through GoFan, tickets must be on your digital device and redeemed by Athletic Department Staff at the entrance gate.
- No screenshots, images or already redeemed tickets will be accepted.
- Everyone age 11+ must purchase a ticket to attend and event.
- High School students must show Student ID along with their ticket to enter ALL events.
- All Elementary and Middle School students MUST be accompanied and supervised by an Adult Chaperone during the entire event.
- NO Re-Entry into the game and NO Entry after Halftime
- NO Outside Food or Drink
Buy your 2024 yearbook now to take advantage of the lowest prices of the year! Save $10 when you purchase your yearbook now at www.jostens.com
Pathway to College, Career & Community Readiness
Check out these amazing resources MCPS has provided regarding students being College, Career and Community ready upon graduation. These items were also shared at Back to School Night. Parent/Caregiver videos in English and Spanish. Pathway Parent/Caregiver Resources for Elementary School, Middle School,and High School.
Learn more about the Montgomery County Career Advising Program (MoCoCAP) through their website. The vision for MoCoCAP is to provide career advising services that will enable students to vividly describe their own strengths, interests, and workplace values; identify how they are expanding their skills and knowledge; describe the various opportunities ahead of them; and describe their goals for their future as they develop life long career management skills. During the 2023-2024 school year MoCoCAP will support Grade 6 and Grade 9 students, and expand the roll out of MoCoCAP to all secondary students by the 2025-2026 school year. We are waiting for more information from MCPS about when we will be able to start the advising process in our building.
Gaithersburg Student Union
Gaithersburg Student Union (GSU) will be back at QOHS on select days at lunch! Join the GSU Staff for more information on Tuesday & Friday in the Small Gym and Wednesday in Room 102 for information and snacks. The Student Union is a club for high school students that provides enrichment programs for students in grades 9 - 12. Activities include fitness and sports programs, arts and music, field trips, and volunteer opportunities. Follow them on Instagram @COGStudentUnion. Ask Ms. Ashman for the registration information or email Mr. Vera at StudentUnion@gaithersburgmd.gov.
PTSA & Booster Club
- Boosters President Letter
- NAACP Parent Council Welcome Letter
- Why Join the PTSA?
- Volunteer Opportunites with the PTSA
- Booster/PTSA Membership - 20% discount if you sign up for both
All MCPS students must earn 75 SSL hours to graduate from high school. Summer break is a great time for middle and high school students to earn SSL hours! To learn more about upcoming in-person and virtual/remote SSL opportunities and the required SSL documentation, please click here, visit the MCPS SSL webpage, the Montgomery County Volunteer Center webpage, or the QO Counseling SSL webpage or contact the new SSL Coordinator, Ms. Miller - Kelly_P_Miller@mcpsmd.org.
Health Education Requirement Change
The Maryland State Board of Education recently changed its graduation requirement for health education. Students in the Class of 2025 and beyond must now earn one full credit for graduation; previously, they earned one half-credit. Again, this requirement begins with the Class of 2025. The change does not impact students in the Class of 2023 or 2024. Details can be found on the QO Health Education page.
FREE English Language Learner Classes for MCPS Parents
In collaboration with MCPS, the Literacy Council of Montgomery County (LCMC) is offering free English language learner classes for MCPS parents. The classes will be held virtually and in person, and there will be options for all levels of English speakers. They are available to any MCPS parent for whom English is not their first language. Parents can complete this interest form to receive a placement test: https://mcpsweb.wufoo.com/forms/english-classes-for-mcps-parents/ This form is available in multiple languages. Parents with questions regarding the availability of classes and sign up process should contact Kevin Ralph from LCMC at email@example.com or call 240-665-0471.
FARMS - It's More than Just Free Meals
The 2023-24 ONLINE FARMS (Free and Reduced Meals) APPS ARE AVAILABLE NOW! Apply online at MySchoolApps.com (translations available) TODAY! Families are required to submit this form each year.
- Click here for an English video tutorial.
- Vea aquí un vídeo paso a paso en español sobre cómo completar la solicitud de FARMS.
- Breakfast: Regular Price (All Levels): $1.30; Reduced Price (All Levels): No Cost
- Lunch: Regular Price: $2.55 (Elementary), $2.80 (Middle and High)
- Students in Maryland who qualify for reduced-price meals will not be charged for meals!
Adding money to your student account - Go to www.myschoolbucks.com and click on "Sign up today!" to set-up a lunch account for your student. For more information & school menus visit: Division of Food & Nutrition Services - Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD (montgomeryschoolsmd.org) If you need assistance completing the online FARMS application, please contact your student’s counselor.
QO Theatre Information & Updates
Follow this link for more information on all the exciting things QO Theatre has coming up and be sure to follow them on Twitter and Instagram @qohstheatre. Feel free to email Ms. Vogel with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may have heard the term “Restorative Justice” or RJ. RJ is about managing relationships, communication, collaboration, conflict resolution, and community building. At Quince Orchard, we will be engaging students, staff, and parents in our efforts to build a stronger community to support our students in achieving excellence. Please use this QOHS Restorative Justice Video and Survey link to access a video detailing QOHS Restorative Justice and complete the survey with your feedback. Thanks for your participation!
Antiracist System Audit
We know that messages from MCPS often get lost and sometimes misconstrued. The website for the Antiracist Audit has been updated and below are some materials that can help provide some more insight and support for our community members about the audit and during the audit.