Principal Carothers Weekly Message March 22-28, 2020
Hello, Poolesville Staff, Parents, and Students,
Good afternoon. I know this has been a difficult week for many of us, as we remain socially distant and adjust to new norms and routines. Personally, as much as I miss our students and staff, I am comforted in knowing these are necessary precautions to keep us all safe. Before I get to the summary of updates and information, I want to send a specific message of gratitude to our building service staff. They have been working hard each day to sanitize the building and prepare for students and staff to return. While many of us are teleworking, this team is reporting each day and working together to ensure the safety of our students. I am grateful for their diligence and dedication. To ensure their work is not compromised, the building will remain closed to staff, students, and community members this week. If you have any specific needs, please email me directly; I will work with you to try and meet those needs.
As a reminder, your most updated and official area for information is the MCPS Coronavirus website: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/coronavirus/. I have summarized some of the information below:
- MCPS has provided instructional activities at the following site: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/curriculum/contingency/. These should be the primary resources you are consulting. For any students without consistent access to internet and resources, there are packets available at the front entrance of Poolesville High School from 8:00-3:00 Monday-Friday. Again, these packets are for students that are unable to utilize the instructional resources on the MCPS website.
- More information and resources will be communicated this week in the likely event that the school closure is extended. This is previewed and discussed in the Superintendent’s message from earlier today: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2019-2020/allin-this-together-20200322.html.
- The College Board is working on a plan to support AP students with free, optional virtual learning and at-home testing. Please visit the College Board website for more information, including free, live AP review courses that begin Wednesday, March 25: https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update.
- MCPS continues to add locations for food distribution for students. I will continue to update you as new locations are added. Please see the current list of distribution centers here: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/uploadedFiles/Coronavirus/COVID-19_Emergency_Closure_Meals_for_MCPS_Students.pdf.
- The MCPS message to the community on March 20 can be found here: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/publicinfo/community/school-year-2019-2020/coronavirus-update-20200320.html.
- Please see this MCPS resource that visually depicts the expectations for social distancing: https://publisher.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/pdf/MCPS_StaySafe_Poster.pdf. As a reminder, our school buildings are closed and we are asking everybody to do their part to practice social distancing. As a result, our outdoor athletic facilities are also closed to the public.
I will continue to communicate information to you as it becomes available. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to email me with any questions. I cannot wait to see everybody again, and I encourage our entire student body and community to stay safe and healthy. Thank you.
Falcons Fly High!
Mark A. Carothers
Poolesville High School