Mr. Carothers Weekly Message May 3-9, 2020
Hello, Poolesville Students, Staff, and Parents,
Good afternoon, and welcome to May. It was great to see so many seniors participating in the May 1 Decision Day. It was wonderful to see so many smiling faces wearing the gear of the colleges that will benefit from their dedication next year. They are lucky to have all of you. I am proud of you, Falcons!
I am also proud of our Poolesville Staff that have guided, supported, taught, and mentored all of our Falcons, each and every day. This week, May 4-8, is Staff Appreciation Week. As we all struggle with being apart from each other, I encourage all students and parents to send messages to staff members that have encouraged them, cared for them, and supported them at any particular time or at all times. Please, also, copy me on the messages so I am aware of and can celebrate the positive impact our staff has made on our students. I know, personally, I am grateful every single day for the dedication, creativity, and caring of all of our staff. They make a difference in all of our lives, including my own. Thank you, PHS staff, for doing everything you do to help and ensure our Falcons Fly High.
As a reminder, your most updated and official area for information is the MCPS Coronavirus website: Coronavirus - MCPS. I have provided some resources and information below:
- MCPS Continuity of Learning webpage
- MCPS Community Message (May 3): This message includes information on MP4 grading, including the criteria for a “Passing” grade will be determined for the marking period. It also includes information concerning monitoring student engagement, Continuity of Learning, remote learning in MCPS, volunteers, and family violence awareness and prevention.
- Continuity of Learning Staff Guide - MCPS: These are the framework and principles of the Continuity of Learning that were distributed to staff on Friday, May 1.
- All In 05-01-2020 by Jack R. Smith, Superintendent of MCPS Schools: The latest All-In blog post by Superintendent Dr. Smith.
- MCPS has created a community tech support number, based on feedback from students and families. Students and parents, please call 240-740-7022 for any technical needs during remote learning.
Finally, I want to end this message by letting you know of some opportunities this week. First, we are asking students to provide feedback on the first two weeks of marking period four in the Continuity of Learning framework. Students can access the survey HERE. Students must be signed into their MCPS Google account to access the survey. Also, our counseling department is hosting a Class of 2021 College Night this Wednesday, May 6, from 6:30-7:30 pm. This meeting will include a representative from the University of Maryland and various PHS seniors and alumni to discuss the college application and admissions process. Details regarding this Zoom meeting will be emailed to juniors and their parents through Naviance. Please reach out to your child’s counselor if you have any questions.
Do not hesitate to reach out with any questions, and I will continue to keep you informed with any updated information.
Falcons Fly High!
Mark A. Carothers
Poolesville High School