AP Exam Updates
Updates Regarding Spring 2021 Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate Examinations
In February 2021, the College Board and International Baccalaureate (IB) announced changes to spring 2021 Advanced Placement (AP) and IB examinations. MCPS has reviewed available options, consulted with stakeholders, and considered the various operational, safety and health measures needed to successfully administer AP/IB exams in May 2021. Below is a summary of how MCPS will offer these exams for our students:
- Advanced Placement (AP) Exams: As MCPS is expecting to administer over 45,000 exams and many high schools will be at capacity with in-person instruction, the at-home digital option will be the default AP exam format for MCPS students when available. The College Board has fully validated the at-home digital option and will ensure complete access to score reporting and the ability to earn college credit. .
In most cases, students will be able to select from two available testing dates. For students with certain accommodations for special circumstances that require an in-person exam, arrangements will be made by the local school. Some exams, such as specific world languages and music theory, must be administered in-person, according to the College Board, and will be scheduled by the local school.
What happens next?
1. Beginning April 8, 2021, the College Board Digital Testing Application will be automatically installed on MCPS-issued Chromebooks. For non-MCPS personal devices, directions for installation will be shared with students by the school AP coordinator.
2. Once the application is installed, students will be able to begin practicing sample questions. Students will be able to answer each type of question that they will encounter on the actual exam, as well as learn about what to expect on exam day. More information about AP Digital Testing can be found here.
3. Your local high school will contact you to select testing dates, confirm the format, and provide an exam checklist. If you have a special circumstance or accommodation that requires an in-person exam, please inform your teacher or AP coordinator. Final schedules will be shared with each student in their AP Classroom.
4. To prepare for success, AP students can watch AP Daily learning videos, on-demand in the College Board’s AP Classroom, for every topic and skill in each AP course.
5. Students can tune into AP Daily: Live Review on YouTube between , April 19-29 for live review sessions in each subject area.
6. Additional AP exam support and preparation is also offered through Saturday School. Registration information for Saturday sessions can be found here.
7. If you have additional questions, please contact your AP teacher or school AP coordinator.