Parent Technical Support Email:
Counseling at OTES
My mission is to facilitate each student's social-emotional, academic and career development through the counselors’ delivery of guidance and counseling activities as well as through a collaborative effort between the home, school and community.
Mrs. Kimberly Hughes, M. Ed.
Email Mrs. Hughes
Best times: 8:40 am - 9:20 am and 3:00 - 4:10 pm
About Your Counselor
The 2020 - 2021 school year will be my 18th year at Oakland Terrace Elementary. Before Oakland Terrace, I worked in Prince George’s County as a middle school counselor for two years and as an elementary special educator for five years. I received my Masters Degree in Guidance and Counseling at Bowie State University in 2001 and completed my undergraduate degree at the University of the District of Columbia in 1994.
Our program is delivered through a combination of classroom guidance, group counseling, individual counseling, and home-school partnering.
- Classroom Guidance - Classroom Guidance involves sessions on conflict resolution, stress management, decision-making, career awareness, character education, social skills, and human development.
- Group Counseling - Group Counseling sessions on coping with stress, self-esteem, making and keeping friends, anger management, grief/loss, separation, divorce, and exploring career choices.
- Individual Counseling - Individual Counseling sessions to assist students in the use of effective problem solving skills and to express feelings or concerns.
- Home-school Partnership - Reinforcement of home-school partnership through newsletters and referrals to community resources.
Download our program brochures here:
For Students - How to See Mrs. Hughes
Option #1 Go to the Counselor's Website.
1. Print out referral - Student Referral Form
2. Use pencil to fill out the referral.
3. Come to school and slide the message under the office door (Room 3).
1. Remove a referral form from the office door (Room 3).
2. Use a pencil from the green cup to fill out the form.
3. Slide the form under the office door (Room 3).
Character Counts! is not a command, or a religious or political philosophy. Character Counts! is a program that is dedicated to strengthening the character of young people through promotion of the Six Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship. This program will lay a solid foundation for character development by teaching children right from wrong and by demonstrating positive role models
Oakland Terrace ES recognizes that the partnership between home and school is extremely important for developing character. Therefore, we invite you to join us in supporting the Six Pillars of Character at home, school, and in the community.