Special Education: Transition Services

Telephone: 301-649-8289

Mrs. Jennifer G. Harris

Dr. Jennifer G. Harris
Transition Services Support Teacher

Important Steps

9th, 10th, and 11th Graders should:

  • Make appointments with their counselors to review their academic progress and plan for next year.
  • Consider career and technology course offerings at the Thomas Edison High School of Technology. (Students/Parents should visit or attend an Open House).
  • Register for the SAT/ACT.
  • Visit the SSL Coordinator to get the approved Student Service Learning activities list.

12th Graders should:

  • Complete all college applications and return them. Attend college visits.
  • Register to technical colleges.
  • Complete SSL hours.
  • Complete graduation requirements.
  • Pay graduation fees.

If students and parents have additional questions about Transition Services, they should access the MCPS Transition Services site.

Career Dimensions

The special education department  purchased a software application for Transition Services called Career Dimensions. Career Dimensions is an interest inventory application that analyzes the strengths and needs of the students and assesses which career path is most appropriate for them based on the student responses. Students have the wonderful opportunity to research various careers. They also have the ability to take assessments to determine their skills, values, and personalities. Career Dimensions provides extensive feedback and information regarding occupations, skills needed, education, salaries, and wages. Mrs. Harris goes to various Resource classrooms to facilitate Career Dimensions and get the special education students involved in knowing or researching their Transition goals and activities.

MCPS Transition Services State and Federal Resource Contacts

Listed below is the contact information for resources in the state of Maryland that are commonly used for transition planning.

  • Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS):
    The Department of Rehabilitation Services provides short term funding to programs for individuals with disabilities found eligible to meet employment and independence goals. Provision of services is based on funding availability. Call 301-949-3750
  • Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA):
    The Developmental Disabilities Administration provides long term funding for individuals eligible for adult day, residential, or support services for individuals with developmental disabilities to work and live as independently as possible in the community. Eligibility is based on priority, availability of needed services and funding, and acceptance by the agency of the client’s application. Call 301-362-5100
  • Mental Hygiene Administration (MHA):
    The Mental Hygiene Administration provides services through the Public Mental Health System. Individuals and families must meet eligibility criteria. Call 1-800-888-1965
  • Social Security:
    The Social Security website provides comprehensive information on federally funded disability benefits programs. Call 1-800-772-1213
  • Maryland Interagency Transition Council:
    The Council provides a collection of resources for transitioning youth with disabilities, parents, and professionals
  • Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE):
    The Maryland State Department of Education website provides information and resources for parents, students, and educators.
  • Maryland Parents’ Place:
    The Parents' Place of Maryland is a non-profit family-centered organization that provides information about workshops and services, publications, and resources to enhance the lives of persons with disabilities.