National Honor Society
Sponsor: Ms. Jamie Bisset
The Northwood High School Chapter
About National Honor Society
The National Honor Society (NHS) was established in 1921 to recognize outstanding high school students. NHS honors students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, and character. In addition to recognizing students for their academic accomplishments, the organization also encourages students to become active in school activities and community service.
Applicants who are accepted into the program are required to pay $20.00 annual dues, expected to attend all meetings, expected to participate in service activites, and expected to actively participate on a specific committee.
National Honor Society Logo
- Second semester sophomore, junior, or senior
- At Least 3.5 GPA Unweighted or 4.0 GPA Weighted
- Leadership experience/position
- At least 45 community service hours for sophomores, at least 70 community service hours for juniors, and at least 70 community service hours are required for seniors.
- Students should demonstrate respect, responsibility, trustworthiness, fairness, caring, and citizenship
Since our chapter's conception in 2007, National Honor Society members have been very active volunteers. In order to remain a member of National Honor Society, each member needs to get a certain amount of volunteer hours a year.
In the past, NHS members have undertaken the following volunteer projects:
- Comcast Reading Tutors
- Rainbow Place- a shelter for women
- SOME (So Others Might Eat)
- FOSC (Friends of Sligo Creek)
- Created care packages for Haiti relief effort
- First Aid Kits for Haiti disaster relief
- Northwood Tutoring Program
Fundraising is a crucial part of NHS. We use the money that we make throughout the year for induction, graduation, and donations to charity.
NHS can help you in the future in a variety of ways:
- College scholarships (Some schools automatically give money to students in NHS)
- SSL hours for graduation
- Getting a job
- Leadership skills