WHAT COLLEGES ARE LOOKING FOR
TOP TEN STRENGTHS AND EXPERIENCES COLLEGES LOOK FOR IN HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS:
- A rigorous high school curriculum that challenges the student and includes some AP and Honors classes
- Grades that represent strong effort and an upward trend.
- Solid scores on standardized tests (SAT, ACT).
- Involvement in a few activities, demonstrating leadership and initiative.
- Letters of recommendation from teachers and counselors that give evidence of integrity, special skills, positive character traits, and an interest in learning.
- Special talents or experiences that will contribute to an interesting and well-rounded student body.
- A well written essay that provides insight into the student’s unique personality, values and goals. The essay should be thoughtful and personal, and should demonstrate good writing ability.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm, often exhibited by campus visits and an interview, showing an interest in attending that particular college.
- Out of school experiences, including work and community service that illustrates responsibility, dedication, and development in areas of interest.
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity through reading, school and leisure pursuits, etc